Notes & Reviews:
- New 2012 recording of this massive early Schoenberg opus, an apotheosis of late-Romanticism
- Gunter Neuhold leads the Bibao Symphony Orchestra
- Booklet and sung text in German and English; includes performer biographies
American Record Guide, January/February 2014
Neuhold's interpretation moves the music along, generally to its benefit. The orchestra is competent. The female leads are superior to their counterparts in the Mehta reading; and in his melodrama, West's narration is highly musical. Good as Hans Hotter is in the Mehta, West is even better. His lighter register - he's a tenor - -accords better with its orchestral accompaniment. Audience noise is minimal. The notes include texts and translations.
Recording information: Palacio Euskalduna, Bilbao, Spain (03/08/2012-03/09/2012).
ReviewsThere are currently no reviews, be the first one!
Piano Music of Hans von Bulow (1830-1894), Volume 2 / Mark Anderson, piano
Foerster (1859-1951): Dreams, Memories and Impressions - The complete music for solo piano / Patricia Goodson, piano
Kalevi Aho: Symphony No. 15; Double Bass Concerto; Minea / Eero Munter, double bass
Philip Spratley (b.1942): Orchestral Music, Vol. 2 - Symphony no 3; Sinfonia Pascale; Cargoes; Helpston Fantasia
Jan Van der Roost (b.1956): Sinfonia Hungarica; From Ancient Times / Philharmonic Winds OSAKAN
Maciej Zielinski (b.1971): V Symphony / Polish Radio SO, Boroeicz
Paul Graener (1872-1944): Orchestral Works, Vol. 2 - Aus dem Reiche des Pan; Symphony Op. 39; Prinz Eugen
John Tavener: The Veil of the Temple / Patricia Rozario, soprano
Panorama Argentino, Vol. 2 - works by Pignoni, Albano, Troilo, Broeders, Troiani, Lasala, Aguirre, Salgan et al. / Mirian Conti, piano
Works DetailsSchoenberg, Arnold : Gurrelieder
- Conductor: Gunter Neuhold
- Ensemble: Orquesta Sinfonica de Bilbao
- Notes: Palacio Euskalduna, Bilbao, Spain (03/08/2012-03/09/2012)
- Running Time: 86 min. 19 sec.
- Period Time: Post Romantic
- Form: Cantata/Oratorio
- Written: 1900-1911