- Weinberg — Trumpet Concerto in B-Flat Major, Op. 94: I. Etudes $0.99 on iTunes
- Weinberg — Trumpet Concerto in B-Flat Major, Op. 94: II. Episodes
- Weinberg — Trumpet Concerto in B-Flat Major, Op. 94: III. Fanfares $0.99 on iTunes
- Weinberg — Symphony No. 18, Op. 138, "War - There is no word more cruel": I. Adagio - Allegro -
- Weinberg — Symphony No. 18, Op. 138, "War - There is no word more cruel": II. He was buried in the Earth -
- Weinberg — Symphony No. 18, Op. 138, "War - There is no word more cruel": III. My dear little berry, you do not know the pain that is in my heart -
- Weinberg — Symphony No. 18, Op. 138, "War - There is no word more cruel": IV. War - There is no word more cruel $0.99 on iTunes
- Andrew Balio (Trumpet)
Notes & Reviews:
Dedicated to 'the memory of those who fell in the Great Patriotic War' (1941-45), Symphony No. 18 is the centerpiece of Weinberg's symphonic trilogy On the Threshold of War. This is the fourth recording of Weinberg Symphonies from these artists.
BBC Music Magazine, July 2014
The present performance boasts a compelling contribution from Andrew Balio, who revels in the witticism of the Finale while also encapsulating the darker undertones of the wistful central movement. The St Petersburg State Symphony offers strong support.
Financial Times, 15th June 2014
The Symphony No 18, subtitled "War - there is no word more cruel", is grandly conceived but imperfectly sustained....In the Trumpet Concerto, played by Andrew Balio, the sardonic outer movements come from a different universe to the weighty, pensive slow movement.
Gramophone Magazine, August 2014
Lande and the St Petersburg State Symphony with the St Petersburg Chamber Choir here maintain the standard of their previous Weinberg recordings, which is to say that the depth of sound and the dramatic intensity of their Soviet counterparts are rarely matched.
Recording information: St. Catherine Lutheran Church, St. Petersburg, Russia (2010-12-25&2010-12-27&2012-).
The trumpet concerto, while clearly a contemporary piece, has very approachable Mendelssohnian characteristics, while at the same time being somewhat reminiscent of some of the works of Stravinsky. However, this work (while most definitely a non-trivial exercise for the soloist), is most definitely enjoyable, albeit with a certain amount of patience for the sonic discontinuities present in the piece.
As for Symphony No. 18, it is clear that the unrest present in the Soviet Union at the time is reflected in the piece. The chorus, however, does a marvelous job of bringing the text to life and instilling in the listener the frightening ambivalence and intensity of the wartime experience – this work is both unsettling and appropriate at the same time, and were it not for the top-notch work put in by the St. Petersburg Chamber Choir and Music Director Nikolai Kornev, this recording would not have been nearly as captivating.
Those listeners that appreciate virtuoso Trumpet work as well as fantastic choir work in the context of war, will most certainly find more than a few things of value here. This is a marvelous, if unsettling recording, and deserves to be experienced. Recommended.
Submitted on 06/30/14 by KlingonOpera
Submitted on 07/02/14 by Allen Cohen
Weinberg: Symphony No. 12 "In memoriam D. Shostakovich"; The Golden Key, Ballet Suite No. 4 / St. Petersburg State SO
Shostakovich: Symphony No. 14 / Vasily Petrenko, Royal Liverpool PO
Ross Harris (b.1945): Cello Concerto; Symphony No. 4 'To the Memory of Mahinarangi Tocker' / Li-Wei Qin, cello; Robert Ashworth, viola
Ernst Toch (1887-1964): Violin Sonata No. 1; Cello Sonata; Divertimento; String Trio; Adagio elegiaco / Spectrum Concerts Berlin
Chamber music of Margaret Brouwer (b.1940): Shattered / Sandra Simon, soprano; Daniel Silver, clarinet
Jake Heggie / Gene Scheer: Out of Darkness - An Opera of Survival / Caitlin Lynch, soprano; Sarah Larsen, mz; Morgan Smith, baritone
Vaughan Williams: Piano Quintet in D major; Studies (6) in English Folk Song; Romance for Viola & Piano / London Soloists Ens.
Eugen d'Albert: Cinderella Suite; The Little Mermaid; Overtures / Viktorija Kaminskaite, soprano; Jun Markl
Bloch: Symphony in E flat major; Macbeth Interludes; 3 Jewish Poems; In Memoriam / Royal PO, Atlas
Works DetailsWeinberg, Mieczyslaw : Concerto for Trumpet in B flat major, Op. 94
- Performer: Andrew Balio (Trumpet)
- Conductor: Vladimir Lande
- Ensemble: St. Petersburg Chamber Choir
- Notes: St. Catherine Lutheran Church, St. Petersburg, Russia (12/25/2010/12/27/2010)
- Running Time: 9 min. 8 sec.
- Period Time: Modern
- Form: Concerto
- Written: 1967
Weinberg, Mieczyslaw : Symphony no 18, Op. 138
- Conductor: Vladimir Lande
- Notes: St. Catherine Lutheran Church, St. Petersburg, Russia (2012-12-29_2012-12-30&2013-)
- Running Time: 44 min. 14 sec.
- Period Time: Modern
- Form: Orchestral