- Ramón Vargas (Voice)
- Roberto De Candia (Baritone)
- Cecilia Bartoli (Mezzo Soprano)
- Francesco Piccoli (Tenor)
- Laura Polverelli (Mezzo Soprano)
- Massimiliano Bullo (Fortepiano)
- Alessandro Corbelli (Baritone)
- Michele Pertusi (Bass)
Notes & Reviews:
"...Chailly's tempos here are just enough faster than his earlier one to give most of the opera an effervescence that makes it sail by. Cecilia Bartoli has just about everything going for her - smooth, velvety tones, good comic sense, and the ability to generate sexual tension in her flirtations with the Turk...Michele Pertusi offers a robustly sung Selim the Turk...A really pleasurable experience." -Loomis, ARG
Gramophone Classical Music Guide
Chailly has recorded the work before, but in the years since he's matured as a Rossini conductor, and the Scala orchestra has this music under its fingers; there's an energy and vitality to this playing that's infectious.
For his earlier recording, Montserrat Caballé was an underpowered Fiorilla; but Cecilia Bartoli is full of fire and mettle here (her 'Sqallido veste bruna' is sensational). Michele Pertusi is a fine Selim whose performance seems to breathe stage experience - it's a characterisation that's as vocally fine as it's theatrically adept. Alessandro Corbelli, reinforcing his credentials as a Rossini singer of flair and panache, is a strongly characterised Geronio. This is a recording that smacks of the theatre, and unlike so many so-called comic operas, has lost nothing in its transfer to disc. Under Chailly's baton it fizzes and crackles like few other sets - recitatives are dispatched with the assurance of native Italian speakers, and with a genuine feeling for the meaning of the text. Decca's recording is beautifully judged and the set makes a fine modern alternative to the now classic (but cut) 1954 recording under Gavazzeni with Maria Callas.
ReviewsThere are currently no reviews, be the first one!
Works DetailsRossini, Gioachino : Il turco in Italia (The Turk in Italy), opera
- Performers: Ramón Vargas (Voice); Roberto De Candia (Baritone); Cecilia Bartoli (Mezzo Soprano); Francesco Piccoli (Tenor); Laura Polverelli (Mezzo Soprano); Massimiliano Bullo (Fortepiano); Alessandro Corbelli (Baritone); Michele Pertusi (Bass)
- Conductor: Riccardo Chailly
- Ensemble: Milan Teatro alla Scala Orchestra
- Notes: Sala Verdi, Conservatorio di Musica 'Giuseppe Verdi', Milan, Italy (04/07/1997-07/18/1997)
- Running Time: 103 min. 58 sec.
- Period Time: Romantic
- Form: Opera/Operetta
- Written: 1814