1 800 222 6872

Bach, Händel - Works in romantic organ arrangements / Wolfgang Baumgratz, organ

Album Summary

>Karg-Elert, Sigfrid : Chorale improvisation & fugue after Bach's "Singt dem Herrn ein neues Lied" (BWV 225)
>Karg-Elert, Sigfrid : Arrangement of Bach's Adagio (Air celebre), BWV 1068
>Reger, Max [Composer] : Prelude and Fugue, transcription for orgran in G minor (after Bach, Well-Tempered Clavier, Book 2, N
>Guilmant, Alexandre : Arrangement of Bach's Gottes Zeit (BWV 106), for organ
>Landmann, Arno : Chaconne in D minor for organ (arrangement after Bach, BWV 1004)
>Best, William Thomas : Arrangement of Bach's Passacaglia HWV 432 in G minor, for organ
>Guilmant, Alexandre : Arrangement of Bach's Concerto HWV 309 in D minor, for organ
>Karg-Elert, Sigfrid : Arrangement of Bach' s Variations HWV 430 Der harmonische Grobschmied in E minor, for organ
Performer Composers

Notes & Reviews:

Bach and Händel in arrangements by Max Reger, Alexandre Guilmant, and Sigfrid Karg-Elert: these are the top names that have been brought together for you on this fascinating CD meeting of baroque and romantic musical minds.

The orchestral splendor of the romantic organ was what moved composers to arrange their favorite works of earlier times for the majestic sound of this king of instruments. The genius of Bach and Händel was to radiate in the new light of contemporary organ design, and cathedrals would resound with baroque grandeur.

No other German organ builder of the times built instruments measuring up to the magnificence of those by Wilhelm Sauer. The organ that he constructed for the Bremen Cathedral in 1893/94 would go on to accommodate four manuals and a total of ninety-eight stops. A recent lavish reconstruction project restored it to its original state.

Wolfgang Baumgratz is one of Germany's most renowned organists. After his studies in Freiburg and Amsterdam and his busy international concert career, he was offered one of Germany's most prestigious organist posts in 1979, that of cathedral organist in Bremen.

American Record Guide, November/December 2013
Wolfgang Baumgratz (b 1948) has been organist of Bremen Cathedral since 1979. His playing here is more than technically competent. I find Albrecht's playing more persuasive in phrasing and sense of deliberate direction.



Reviews

There are currently no reviews, be the first one!
Login or Create an Account to write a review
 

Also Purchased



Previous


Next


Works Details

>Karg-Elert, Sigfrid : Chorale improvisation & fugue after Bach's "Singt dem Herrn ein neues Lied" (BWV 225)
  • Performer: Wolfgang Baumgratz (Organ)
  • Notes: Bremer Dom (07/18/1997-07/19/1997)
  • Running Time: 5 min. 29 sec.
  • Period Time: Post Romantic
  • Written: 1909

>Karg-Elert, Sigfrid : Arrangement of Bach's Adagio (Air célèbre), BWV 1068
  • Performer: Wolfgang Baumgratz (Organ)
  • Notes: Bremer Dom (07/18/1997-07/19/1997)
  • Running Time: 5 min. 27 sec.
  • Period Time: Post Romantic

>Reger, Max [Composer] : Prelude and Fugue, transcription for orgran in G minor (after Bach, Well-Tempered Clavier, Book 2, N
  • Performer: Wolfgang Baumgratz (Organ)
  • Notes: Bremer Dom (07/18/1997-07/19/1997)
  • Running Time: 1 min. 58 sec.
  • Period Time: Romantic
  • Written: 1916

>Guilmant, Alexandre : Arrangement of Bach's Gottes Zeit (BWV 106), for organ :: Sonatina
  • Performer: Wolfgang Baumgratz (Organ)
  • Notes: Bremer Dom (07/18/1997-07/19/1997)
  • Running Time: 3 min. 9 sec.
  • Period Time: Post Romantic

>Landmann, Arno : Chaconne in D minor for organ (arrangement after Bach, BWV 1004)
  • Performer: Wolfgang Baumgratz (Organ)
  • Notes: Bremer Dom (07/18/1997-07/19/1997)
  • Running Time: 16 min. 4 sec.
  • Period Time: Modern

>Best, William Thomas : Arrangement of Bach's Passacaglia HWV 432 in G minor, for organ
  • Performer: Wolfgang Baumgratz (Organ)
  • Notes: Bremer Dom (07/18/1997-07/19/1997)
  • Running Time: 3 min. 31 sec.
  • Period Time: Romantic

>Guilmant, Alexandre : Arrangement of Bach's Concerto HWV 309 in D minor, for organ
  • Performer: Wolfgang Baumgratz (Organ)
  • Notes: Bremer Dom (07/18/1997-07/19/1997)
  • Running Time: 13 min. 44 sec.
  • Period Time: Post Romantic
  • Form: Concerto

>Karg-Elert, Sigfrid : Arrangement of Bach' s Variations HWV 430 Der harmonische Grobschmied in E minor, for organ
  • Performer: Wolfgang Baumgratz (Organ)
  • Notes: Bremer Dom (07/18/1997-07/19/1997)
  • Running Time: 7 min. 21 sec.
  • Period Time: Post Romantic