1 800 222 6872

The Songs of Frank Bridge / Janice Watson, Gerald Finley, Louise Winter, Jamie MacDougall, Roger Vignoles (pno)

Album Summary

>Bridge, Frank [Composer] : When most I wink, sonnet for voice & piano, H. 5
>Bridge, Frank [Composer] : If I could choose, for voice & piano, H. 12
>Bridge, Frank [Composer] : The Primrose, for voice & piano, H. 13
>Bridge, Frank [Composer] : A Dirge, for voice & piano, H. 21
>Bridge, Frank [Composer] : The Devon Maid, for voice & piano, H. 25
>Bridge, Frank [Composer] : Dawn and Evening, for voice & piano, H. 26a
>Bridge, Frank [Composer] : Where'er my bitter teardrops fall, for voice & piano, H. 27/1
>Bridge, Frank [Composer] : E'en as a lovely flower, for voice & piano, H. 27/2
>Bridge, Frank [Composer] : Blow blow thou winter wind, for voice & piano, H. 33
>Bridge, Frank [Composer] : Go Not, Happy Day, for voice & piano, H. 34
>Bridge, Frank [Composer] : Night lies on the silent highways, for voice & piano, H. 36
>Bridge, Frank [Composer] : A Dead Violet, for voice & piano, H. 38
>Bridge, Frank [Composer] : Cradle Song, for voice & piano, H. 46
>Bridge, Frank [Composer] : Lean close thy cheek, for voice & piano, H. 50
>Bridge, Frank [Composer] : Fair Daffodils, for voice & piano, H. 51
>Bridge, Frank [Composer] : Adoration, for voice & piano (or orchestra), H 57
>Bridge, Frank [Composer] : So perverse, for voice & piano, H. 61
>Bridge, Frank [Composer] : Tears idle tears, for voice & piano, H. 62
>Bridge, Frank [Composer] : The Violets Blue, for voice & piano (or string quartet), H. 69
>Bridge, Frank [Composer] : Come to me in my dreams, for voice & piano, H. 71
>Bridge, Frank [Composer] : My pent-up tears oppress my brain, for voice & piano, H. 72
>Bridge, Frank [Composer] : Music when soft voices die, for voice, viola & piano, H. 76/3
>Bridge, Frank [Composer] : Far far from each other, for voice, viola & piano, H. 76/1
>Bridge, Frank [Composer] : Where is it that our soul doth go?, for voice, viola & piano, H. 76/2
>Bridge, Frank [Composer] : All things that we clasp and cherish, for voice & piano, H. 77
>Bridge, Frank [Composer] : Love is a rose, for voice & piano, H. 81
>Bridge, Frank [Composer] : Dear when I look into thine eyes, for voice & piano, H. 85
>Bridge, Frank [Composer] : Isobel, for voice & piano, H. 102
>Bridge, Frank [Composer] : O That It Were So, for voice & piano, H. 105
>Bridge, Frank [Composer] : Strew No More Red Roses, for voice & piano, H 109
>Bridge, Frank [Composer] : Where she lies asleep, for voice & piano (or orchestra), H 113
>Bridge, Frank [Composer] : Love went a-riding, for voice & piano (or orchestra), H 114
>Bridge, Frank [Composer] : Thy hand in mine, for voice & piano (or orchestra), H 124
>Bridge, Frank [Composer] : So early in the morning, O, for voice & piano, H. 130
>Bridge, Frank [Composer] : Mantle of blue, for high voice & piano (or orchestra), H 131
>Bridge, Frank [Composer] : The Last Invocation, for voice & piano, H. 136
>Bridge, Frank [Composer] : When you are old and gray, for voice & piano, H. 142
>Bridge, Frank [Composer] : Into her keeping, for voice & piano, H. 143
>Bridge, Frank [Composer] : What shall I your true love tell?, for voice & piano, H. 145
>Bridge, Frank [Composer] : 'Tis but a week, for voice & piano, H. 146
>Bridge, Frank [Composer] : Day After Day, for voice & piano, H. 164/1
>Bridge, Frank [Composer] : Speak to Me My Love, for voice & piano, H. 164/2
>Bridge, Frank [Composer] : Dweller in My Deathless Dreams, for voice & piano, H. 164/3
>Bridge, Frank [Composer] : Goldenhair, for voice & piano, H. 125
>Bridge, Frank [Composer] : Journey's End, for voice & piano, H. 167
Performers Composer

Notes & Reviews:

This important reissue brings together all forty-five of the songs composed by Frank Bridge. The program is presented generally along chronological lines, and although the songs were written over two decades there is a remarkable consistency of style. A good number of the texts will be familiar from the songs of, say, Quilter or Finzi, but many more show Bridge's enthusiasm for unearthing rather less well-known literary subject matter. The performers include soprano Janice Watson, mezzo Louise Winter, tenor Jamie MacDougall and baritone Gerald Finley. Roger Vignoles provides his usual rock-solid and musically stellar accompaniment.

Classic CD
Prepared and performed with the care and conviction for which Hyperion is famous. Those who simply love vocal recitals will find plenty of enjoyment in these well-documented discs, as well as a further revelation of the wealth of 'English Renaissance' contributions to art song. Distinguished performances of little-known but substantial, and often impressive, repertoire.

Gramophone Magazine
These two CDs, finely recorded and thoughtfully presented, are a most timely and valuable addition to the catalogue.

The Observer
This fine collection of settings by poets as diverse as Herrick, Heine and Tagore is full of surprises and beautifully performed by all, especially pianist Roger Vignoles.

Notes & Reviews:

Recording information: Rosslyn Hill Unitarian Chapel, Hampstead, London, Engla (1996-06-17_1996-06-21&1996-).



Reviews

There are currently no reviews, be the first one!
Login or Create an Account to write a review
 

Also Purchased

Works Details

>Bridge, Frank [Composer] : When most I wink, sonnet for voice & piano, H. 5
  • Performers: Roger Vignoles (Piano); Janice Watson (Soprano)
  • Notes: Rosslyn Hill Unitarian Chapel, Hampstead, London, England (1996-06-17_1996-06-21&1996-)
  • Running Time: 2 min. 42 sec.
  • Period Time: Modern
  • Written: 1901

>Bridge, Frank [Composer] : If I could choose, for voice & piano, H. 12
  • Performers: Gerald Finley; Roger Vignoles (Piano)
  • Notes: Rosslyn Hill Unitarian Chapel, Hampstead, London, England (1996-06-17_1996-06-21&1996-)
  • Running Time: 2 min. 3 sec.
  • Period Time: Modern
  • Written: circa 1902

>Bridge, Frank [Composer] : The Primrose, for voice & piano, H. 13
  • Performers: Jamie MacDougall (Tenor); Roger Vignoles (Piano)
  • Notes: Rosslyn Hill Unitarian Chapel, Hampstead, London, England (1996-06-17_1996-06-21&1996-)
  • Running Time: 1 min. 55 sec.
  • Period Time: Modern
  • Written: circa 1901

>Bridge, Frank [Composer] : A Dirge, for voice & piano, H. 21
  • Performers: Roger Vignoles (Piano); Louise Winter (Mezzo Soprano)
  • Notes: Rosslyn Hill Unitarian Chapel, Hampstead, London, England (1996-06-17_1996-06-21&1996-)
  • Running Time: 1 min. 6 sec.
  • Period Time: Modern
  • Written: 1903

>Bridge, Frank [Composer] : The Devon Maid, for voice & piano, H. 25
  • Performers: Jamie MacDougall (Tenor); Roger Vignoles (Piano)
  • Notes: Rosslyn Hill Unitarian Chapel, Hampstead, London, England (1996-06-17_1996-06-21&1996-)
  • Running Time: 1 min. 28 sec.
  • Period Time: Modern
  • Written: 1903

>Bridge, Frank [Composer] : Dawn and Evening, for voice & piano, H. 26a
  • Performers: Gerald Finley; Roger Vignoles (Piano)
  • Notes: Rosslyn Hill Unitarian Chapel, Hampstead, London, England (1996-06-17_1996-06-21&1996-)
  • Running Time: 2 min. 3 sec.
  • Period Time: Modern
  • Written: 1903

>Bridge, Frank [Composer] : Where'er my bitter teardrops fall, for voice & piano, H. 27/1
  • Performers: Jamie MacDougall (Tenor); Roger Vignoles (Piano)
  • Notes: Rosslyn Hill Unitarian Chapel, Hampstead, London, England (1996-06-17_1996-06-21&1996-)
  • Running Time: 1 min. 39 sec.
  • Period Time: Modern
  • Written: 1903

>Bridge, Frank [Composer] : E'en as a lovely flower, for voice & piano, H. 27/2
  • Performers: Jamie MacDougall (Tenor); Roger Vignoles (Piano)
  • Notes: Rosslyn Hill Unitarian Chapel, Hampstead, London, England (1996-06-17_1996-06-21&1996-)
  • Running Time: 3 min. 15 sec.
  • Period Time: Modern
  • Written: 1903

>Bridge, Frank [Composer] : Blow blow thou winter wind, for voice & piano, H. 33
  • Performers: Gerald Finley; Roger Vignoles (Piano)
  • Notes: Rosslyn Hill Unitarian Chapel, Hampstead, London, England (1996-06-17_1996-06-21&1996-)
  • Running Time: 1 min. 51 sec.
  • Period Time: Modern
  • Written: 1903

>Bridge, Frank [Composer] : Go Not, Happy Day, for voice & piano, H. 34
  • Performers: Jamie MacDougall (Tenor); Roger Vignoles (Piano)
  • Notes: Rosslyn Hill Unitarian Chapel, Hampstead, London, England (1996-06-17_1996-06-21&1996-)
  • Running Time: 1 min. 12 sec.
  • Period Time: Modern
  • Written: 1903

>Bridge, Frank [Composer] : Night lies on the silent highways, for voice & piano, H. 36
  • Performers: Gerald Finley; Roger Vignoles (Piano)
  • Notes: Rosslyn Hill Unitarian Chapel, Hampstead, London, England (1996-06-17_1996-06-21&1996-)
  • Running Time: 2 min. 41 sec.
  • Period Time: Modern
  • Written: 1904

>Bridge, Frank [Composer] : A Dead Violet, for voice & piano, H. 38
  • Performers: Gerald Finley; Roger Vignoles (Piano)
  • Notes: Rosslyn Hill Unitarian Chapel, Hampstead, London, England (1996-06-17_1996-06-21&1996-)
  • Running Time: 3 min. 1 sec.
  • Period Time: Modern
  • Written: 1904

>Bridge, Frank [Composer] : Cradle Song, for voice & piano, H. 46
  • Performers: Roger Vignoles (Piano); Janice Watson (Soprano)
  • Notes: Rosslyn Hill Unitarian Chapel, Hampstead, London, England (1996-06-17_1996-06-21&1996-)
  • Running Time: 1 min. 53 sec.
  • Period Time: Modern
  • Written: 1904

>Bridge, Frank [Composer] : Lean close thy cheek, for voice & piano, H. 50
  • Performers: Jamie MacDougall (Tenor); Roger Vignoles (Piano)
  • Notes: Rosslyn Hill Unitarian Chapel, Hampstead, London, England (1996-06-17_1996-06-21&1996-)
  • Running Time: 2 min. 8 sec.
  • Period Time: Modern
  • Written: 1905

>Bridge, Frank [Composer] : Fair Daffodils, for voice & piano, H. 51
  • Performers: Roger Vignoles (Piano); Janice Watson (Soprano)
  • Notes: Rosslyn Hill Unitarian Chapel, Hampstead, London, England (1996-06-17_1996-06-21&1996-)
  • Running Time: 2 min. 31 sec.
  • Period Time: Modern
  • Written: 1905

>Bridge, Frank [Composer] : Adoration, for voice & piano (or orchestra), H 57
  • Performers: Roger Vignoles (Piano); Louise Winter (Mezzo Soprano)
  • Notes: Rosslyn Hill Unitarian Chapel, Hampstead, London, England (1996-06-17_1996-06-21&1996-)
  • Running Time: 2 min. 46 sec.
  • Period Time: Modern
  • Written: 1905

>Bridge, Frank [Composer] : So perverse, for voice & piano, H. 61
  • Performers: Gerald Finley; Roger Vignoles (Piano)
  • Notes: Rosslyn Hill Unitarian Chapel, Hampstead, London, England (1996-06-17_1996-06-21&1996-)
  • Running Time: 1 min. 32 sec.
  • Period Time: Modern
  • Written: 1905

>Bridge, Frank [Composer] : Tears idle tears, for voice & piano, H. 62
  • Performers: Gerald Finley; Roger Vignoles (Piano)
  • Notes: Rosslyn Hill Unitarian Chapel, Hampstead, London, England (1996-06-17_1996-06-21&1996-)
  • Running Time: 5 min. 29 sec.
  • Period Time: Modern
  • Written: 1905

>Bridge, Frank [Composer] : The Violets Blue, for voice & piano (or string quartet), H. 69
  • Performers: Jamie MacDougall (Tenor); Roger Vignoles (Piano)
  • Notes: Rosslyn Hill Unitarian Chapel, Hampstead, London, England (1996-06-17_1996-06-21&1996-)
  • Running Time: 1 min. 50 sec.
  • Period Time: Modern
  • Written: 1906

>Bridge, Frank [Composer] : Come to me in my dreams, for voice & piano, H. 71
  • Performers: Roger Vignoles (Piano); Janice Watson (Soprano)
  • Notes: Rosslyn Hill Unitarian Chapel, Hampstead, London, England (1996-06-17_1996-06-21&1996-)
  • Running Time: 3 min. 35 sec.
  • Period Time: Modern
  • Written: 1906

>Bridge, Frank [Composer] : My pent-up tears oppress my brain, for voice & piano, H. 72
  • Performers: Gerald Finley; Roger Vignoles (Piano)
  • Notes: Rosslyn Hill Unitarian Chapel, Hampstead, London, England (1996-06-17_1996-06-21&1996-)
  • Running Time: 2 min. 34 sec.
  • Period Time: Modern
  • Written: 1906

>Bridge, Frank [Composer] : Music when soft voices die, for voice, viola & piano, H. 76/3
  • Performers: Roger Chase (Viola); Roger Vignoles (Piano); Louise Winter (Mezzo Soprano)
  • Notes: Rosslyn Hill Unitarian Chapel, Hampstead, London, England (1996-06-17_1996-06-21&1996-)
  • Running Time: 2 min. 22 sec.
  • Period Time: Modern
  • Written: 1906-1907

>Bridge, Frank [Composer] : Far far from each other, for voice, viola & piano, H. 76/1
  • Performers: Roger Chase (Viola); Roger Vignoles (Piano); Louise Winter (Mezzo Soprano)
  • Notes: Rosslyn Hill Unitarian Chapel, Hampstead, London, England (1996-06-17_1996-06-21&1996-)
  • Running Time: 3 min. 24 sec.
  • Period Time: Modern
  • Written: 1906

>Bridge, Frank [Composer] : Where is it that our soul doth go?, for voice, viola & piano, H. 76/2
  • Performers: Roger Chase (Viola); Roger Vignoles (Piano); Louise Winter (Mezzo Soprano)
  • Notes: Rosslyn Hill Unitarian Chapel, Hampstead, London, England (1996-06-17_1996-06-21&1996-)
  • Running Time: 3 min. 42 sec.
  • Period Time: Modern
  • Written: 1906

>Bridge, Frank [Composer] : All things that we clasp and cherish, for voice & piano, H. 77
  • Performers: Roger Vignoles (Piano); Janice Watson (Soprano)
  • Notes: Rosslyn Hill Unitarian Chapel, Hampstead, London, England (1996-06-17_1996-06-21&1996-)
  • Running Time: 1 min. 37 sec.
  • Period Time: Modern
  • Written: 1907

>Bridge, Frank [Composer] : Love is a rose, for voice & piano, H. 81
  • Performers: Roger Vignoles (Piano); Janice Watson (Soprano)
  • Notes: Rosslyn Hill Unitarian Chapel, Hampstead, London, England (1996-06-17_1996-06-21&1996-)
  • Running Time: 1 min. 58 sec.
  • Period Time: Modern
  • Written: 1907

>Bridge, Frank [Composer] : Dear when I look into thine eyes, for voice & piano, H. 85
  • Performers: Gerald Finley; Roger Vignoles (Piano)
  • Notes: Rosslyn Hill Unitarian Chapel, Hampstead, London, England (1996-06-17_1996-06-21&1996-)
  • Running Time: 2 min. 17 sec.
  • Period Time: Modern
  • Written: 1908

>Bridge, Frank [Composer] : Isobel, for voice & piano, H. 102
  • Performers: Gerald Finley; Roger Vignoles (Piano)
  • Notes: Rosslyn Hill Unitarian Chapel, Hampstead, London, England (1996-06-17_1996-06-21&1996-)
  • Running Time: 2 min. 11 sec.
  • Period Time: Modern
  • Written: 1912

>Bridge, Frank [Composer] : O That It Were So, for voice & piano, H. 105
  • Performers: Roger Vignoles (Piano); Louise Winter (Mezzo Soprano)
  • Notes: Rosslyn Hill Unitarian Chapel, Hampstead, London, England (1996-06-17_1996-06-21&1996-)
  • Running Time: 2 min. 21 sec.
  • Period Time: Modern
  • Written: circa 1912

>Bridge, Frank [Composer] : Strew No More Red Roses, for voice & piano, H 109
  • Performers: Jamie MacDougall (Tenor); Roger Vignoles (Piano)
  • Notes: Rosslyn Hill Unitarian Chapel, Hampstead, London, England (1996-06-17_1996-06-21&1996-)
  • Running Time: 2 min. 53 sec.
  • Period Time: Modern
  • Written: 1913

>Bridge, Frank [Composer] : Where she lies asleep, for voice & piano (or orchestra), H 113
  • Performers: Roger Vignoles (Piano); Louise Winter (Mezzo Soprano)
  • Notes: Rosslyn Hill Unitarian Chapel, Hampstead, London, England (1996-06-17_1996-06-21&1996-)
  • Running Time: 3 min. 11 sec.
  • Period Time: Modern
  • Written: 1914

>Bridge, Frank [Composer] : Love went a-riding, for voice & piano (or orchestra), H 114
  • Performers: Roger Vignoles (Piano); Janice Watson (Soprano)
  • Notes: Rosslyn Hill Unitarian Chapel, Hampstead, London, England (1996-06-17_1996-06-21&1996-)
  • Running Time: 1 min. 50 sec.
  • Period Time: Modern
  • Written: 1914

>Bridge, Frank [Composer] : Thy hand in mine, for voice & piano (or orchestra), H 124
  • Performers: Roger Vignoles (Piano); Louise Winter (Mezzo Soprano)
  • Notes: Rosslyn Hill Unitarian Chapel, Hampstead, London, England (1996-06-17_1996-06-21&1996-)
  • Running Time: 2 min. 24 sec.
  • Period Time: Modern
  • Written: 1917

>Bridge, Frank [Composer] : So early in the morning, O, for voice & piano, H. 130
  • Performers: Roger Vignoles (Piano); Janice Watson (Soprano)
  • Notes: Rosslyn Hill Unitarian Chapel, Hampstead, London, England (1996-06-17_1996-06-21&1996-)
  • Running Time: 2 min. 27 sec.
  • Period Time: Modern
  • Written: 1918

>Bridge, Frank [Composer] : Mantle of blue, for high voice & piano (or orchestra), H 131
  • Performers: Roger Vignoles (Piano); Louise Winter (Mezzo Soprano)
  • Notes: Rosslyn Hill Unitarian Chapel, Hampstead, London, England (1996-06-17_1996-06-21&1996-)
  • Running Time: 1 min. 52 sec.
  • Period Time: Modern
  • Written: 1918

>Bridge, Frank [Composer] : The Last Invocation, for voice & piano, H. 136
  • Performers: Roger Vignoles (Piano); Louise Winter (Mezzo Soprano)
  • Notes: Rosslyn Hill Unitarian Chapel, Hampstead, London, England (1996-06-17_1996-06-21&1996-)
  • Running Time: 2 min. 52 sec.
  • Period Time: Modern
  • Written: 1918-1919

>Bridge, Frank [Composer] : When you are old and gray, for voice & piano, H. 142
  • Performers: Gerald Finley; Roger Vignoles (Piano)
  • Notes: Rosslyn Hill Unitarian Chapel, Hampstead, London, England (1996-06-17_1996-06-21&1996-)
  • Running Time: 3 min. 29 sec.
  • Period Time: Modern
  • Written: 1919

>Bridge, Frank [Composer] : Into her keeping, for voice & piano, H. 143
  • Performers: Jamie MacDougall (Tenor); Roger Vignoles (Piano)
  • Notes: Rosslyn Hill Unitarian Chapel, Hampstead, London, England (1996-06-17_1996-06-21&1996-)
  • Running Time: 2 min. 6 sec.
  • Period Time: Modern
  • Written: 1919

>Bridge, Frank [Composer] : What shall I your true love tell?, for voice & piano, H. 145
  • Performers: Roger Vignoles (Piano); Louise Winter (Mezzo Soprano)
  • Notes: Rosslyn Hill Unitarian Chapel, Hampstead, London, England (1996-06-17_1996-06-21&1996-)
  • Running Time: 3 min. 31 sec.
  • Period Time: Modern
  • Written: 1919

>Bridge, Frank [Composer] : 'Tis but a week, for voice & piano, H. 146
  • Performers: Roger Vignoles (Piano); Louise Winter (Mezzo Soprano)
  • Notes: Rosslyn Hill Unitarian Chapel, Hampstead, London, England (1996-06-17_1996-06-21&1996-)
  • Running Time: 1 min. 58 sec.
  • Period Time: Modern
  • Written: 1919

>Bridge, Frank [Composer] : Day After Day, for voice & piano, H. 164/1
  • Performers: Roger Vignoles (Piano); Janice Watson (Soprano)
  • Notes: Rosslyn Hill Unitarian Chapel, Hampstead, London, England (1996-06-17_1996-06-21&1996-)
  • Running Time: 3 min. 58 sec.
  • Period Time: Modern
  • Written: 1922

>Bridge, Frank [Composer] : Speak to Me My Love, for voice & piano, H. 164/2
  • Performers: Roger Vignoles (Piano); Janice Watson (Soprano)
  • Notes: Rosslyn Hill Unitarian Chapel, Hampstead, London, England (1996-06-17_1996-06-21&1996-)
  • Running Time: 5 min. sec.
  • Period Time: Modern
  • Written: 1924

>Bridge, Frank [Composer] : Dweller in My Deathless Dreams, for voice & piano, H. 164/3
  • Performers: Jamie MacDougall (Tenor); Roger Vignoles (Piano)
  • Notes: Rosslyn Hill Unitarian Chapel, Hampstead, London, England (1996-06-17_1996-06-21&1996-)
  • Running Time: 4 min. 45 sec.
  • Period Time: Modern
  • Written: 1925

>Bridge, Frank [Composer] : Goldenhair, for voice & piano, H. 125
  • Performers: Roger Vignoles (Piano); Janice Watson (Soprano)
  • Notes: Rosslyn Hill Unitarian Chapel, Hampstead, London, England (1996-06-17_1996-06-21&1996-)
  • Running Time: 1 min. 40 sec.
  • Period Time: Modern
  • Written: 1925

>Bridge, Frank [Composer] : Journey's End, for voice & piano, H. 167
  • Performers: Jamie MacDougall (Tenor); Roger Vignoles (Piano)
  • Notes: Rosslyn Hill Unitarian Chapel, Hampstead, London, England (1996-06-17_1996-06-21&1996-)
  • Running Time: 3 min. 54 sec.
  • Period Time: Modern
  • Written: 1925