- Violin Concerto in D Major, Op. 35: I. Allegro moderato
- Violin Concerto in D Major, Op. 35: II. Canzonetta. Andante $1.29 on iTunes
- Violin Concerto in D Major, Op. 35: III. Finale. Allegro vivacissimo (Cadenza by Piotr Illitch Tchaikovsky)
- Violin Concerto in D Major, Op. 35: III. Finale. Allegro vivacissimo (Cadenza by Leopold Auer) $1.29 on iTunes
- String Quartet No. 2 in A Minor, Op. 35: I. Moderato (feat. Lily Francis, Claudio Bohorquez & Nicolas Altstaedt)
- String Quartet No. 2 in A Minor, Op. 35: II. Variations sur un thÃ¨me de P. Tchaikovski. Moderato (feat. Lily Francis, Claudio Bohorquez & Nicolas Alt
- String Quartet No. 2 in A Minor, Op. 35: III. Finale. Andante sostenuto (feat. Lily Francis, Claudio Bohorquez & Nicolas Altstaedt) $1.29 on iTunes
Notes & Reviews:
American Record Guide, November/December 2014
Above all is the atmosphere that pervades every note of this performance. It's not merely the use of two cellos instead of two violins that creates the dark elegiac mood but the quality of instruments combined with the players' artistry. This is especially true of the viola - its bright, clear timbre comes not merely from its higher tessitura. And all this is made possible by warm, rich, full-range, and superbly balanced engineering. By comparision, the Ying Quartet remain purely on the surface of this magnificent work. Avanti is a new label based in Brussels, and have they set their standards high with this recording!
Celebrated American violinist Philippe Quint is back with an outstanding new release in a unique pairing of Tchaikovsky's popular Violin Concerto in D major, Op. 35 together with Arensky's seldom recorded String Quartet No. 2 in A minor, Op. 35 (dedicated to the memory of Tchaikovsky). For the very first time, the last movement of the Concerto is presented twice on CD: once in Tchaikovsky's original scoring and, as a bonus track, the controversially condensed version of the third movement by Leopold Auer.
ReviewsThere are currently no reviews, be the first one!
Glière: Symphony No. 3 "Il'ya Muromets" / Buffalo PO, Falletta
Justin Heinrich Knecht (1752-1817): Le Portrait of Nature (Grande Symphonie); Francois Philidor (1726-1795): Overtures / Benda
Meyerbeer: Overtures and Entr'actes from the French Operas / New Zealand SO, Darrell Ang
Bruckner: Symphony No. 2 / Vienna PO, Giulini (rec. 1974)
Dohnányi: Symphony No. 2; Two Songs / Evan Thomas Jones, baritione
Zdenek Fibich: Symphonic Poems - Othello, Zaboj, Slavoj, Ludek, Toman and the Wood Nymph, The Tempest, Spring / Czech Nat'l SO
Works DetailsTchaikovsky, Peter Ilyich : Concerto for Violin in D major, Op. 35
- Conductor: Martin Panteleev
- Ensemble: Sofia Philharmonic Orchestra
- Notes: Bulgaria Hall, Sofia (01/14/2013-01/17/2013)
- Running Time: 45 min. 18 sec.
- Period Time: Romantic
- Form: Concerto
- Written: 1878
Arensky, Anton [Composer] : Quartet for Strings no 2 in A minor, Op. 35
- Performers: Nicolas Altstaedt (Cello); Claudio Bohórquez (Cello); Lily Francis (Viola)
- Running Time: 28 min. 14 sec.
- Period Time: Post Romantic
- Written: 1894