1 800 222 6872

Great Wonder' - John Dowland & His Contemporaries / Amanda Sidebottom, soprano; Erik Ryding, lute

Album Summary

>Campion, Thomas : Never weather-beaten saile more willing bent to shore
>Campion, Thomas : Oft Have I Sigh'd for Him That Heares Me Not for voice, lute & bass viol (Thrid Book of Ayres)
>Campion, Thomas : Peaceful Westerne Winde
>Dowland, John [Composer] : If my complaints could passions move, for 4 voices & lute (First Book of Songs)
>Dowland, John [Composer] : Orlando Sleepeth, arrangement for lute, P 61
>Dowland, John [Composer] : His golden locks Time has to silver turned, for 4 voices & lute (First Book of Songs)
>Dowland, John [Composer] : Can she excuse my wrongs, for 4 voices & lute (First Book of Songs)
>Danyel, John : Thou Pretty Bird How Do I See
>Danyel, John : He Whose Desires
>Danyel, John : Why Canst Thou Not?
>Dowland, John [Composer] : I must complain, yet do enjoy my love, for 4 voices & lute (Third Book of Songs)
>Dowland, John [Composer] : Mrs. Winters Jump, for lute, P 55
>Dowland, John [Composer] : I saw my lady weep, for 2 voices & lute (Second Book of Song)
>Dowland, John [Composer] : Wilt thou unkind thus reave me of my heart, for 4 voices & lute (First Book of Songs)
>Campion, Thomas : I must complain, yet doe enjoy my love, for voice & bass viol
>Campion, Thomas : Come let us sound with melody the praises
>Campion, Thomas : It fell on a sommers daie
>Campion, Thomas : Shall I come sweet love to thee?
>Dowland, John [Composer] : Mr Dowland's Midnight, almain for lute, P 99
>Dowland, John [Composer] : Go crystal tears, for 4 voices & lute (First Book of Songs)
>Dowland, John [Composer] : Now, O now I needs must part, for 4 voices & lute (First Book of Songs)
Ensemble Composers
  • >
  • >
  • >

Notes & Reviews:

American Record Guide, November/December 2014
Well-Tuned Words is the duo formed by soprano Amanda Sidebottom and lutenist Erik Ryding. Both are able performers; Sidebottom's voice is pure and Ryding plays with great clarity. Sidebottom's diction is excellent; she is a compelling storyteller. The livelier selections, like 'Wilt Thou, Unkind, Thus Reave Me' and 'It Fell On a Summer's Day', are her best singing. Ryding's beautifully played solos help break up the pace and supply a welcome change of color. His playing, especially in the brief 'Mrs Winter's Jump', is unexpectedly warm and I wanted to hear more. Ryding offers excellent notes.

Notes & Reviews:

Recording information: Redeemer Lutheran Church, Glendale, NY (2013-02-??&2013-05-??&2013-).



Reviews

There are currently no reviews, be the first one!
Login or Create an Account to write a review
 

Also Purchased

Works Details

>Campion, Thomas : Never weather-beaten saile more willing bent to shore
  • Ensemble: Well-Tuned Words
  • Running Time: 2 min. 30 sec.
  • Period Time: Renaissance
  • Form: Vocal
  • Written: 1613

>Campion, Thomas : Oft Have I Sigh'd for Him That Heares Me Not for voice, lute & bass viol (Thrid Book of Ayres)
  • Ensemble: Well-Tuned Words
  • Running Time: 2 min. 10 sec.
  • Period Time: Renaissance

>Campion, Thomas : Peaceful Westerne Winde
  • Ensemble: Well-Tuned Words
  • Running Time: 3 min. 38 sec.
  • Period Time: Renaissance

>Dowland, John [Composer] : If my complaints could passions move, for 4 voices & lute (First Book of Songs)
  • Ensemble: Well-Tuned Words
  • Running Time: 3 min. 2 sec.
  • Period Time: Renaissance
  • Written: 1597

>Dowland, John [Composer] : Orlando Sleepeth, arrangement for lute, P 61
  • Ensemble: Well-Tuned Words
  • Running Time: 1 min. 30 sec.
  • Period Time: Renaissance
  • Written: by 1626

>Dowland, John [Composer] : His golden locks Time has to silver turned, for 4 voices & lute (First Book of Songs)
  • Ensemble: Well-Tuned Words
  • Running Time: 3 min. 24 sec.
  • Period Time: Renaissance
  • Written: 1597

>Dowland, John [Composer] : Can she excuse my wrongs, for 4 voices & lute (First Book of Songs)
  • Ensemble: Well-Tuned Words
  • Running Time: 2 min. 52 sec.
  • Period Time: Renaissance
  • Form: Choral
  • Written: 1597

>Danyel, John : Thou Pretty Bird How Do I See
  • Ensemble: Well-Tuned Words
  • Running Time: 1 min. 29 sec.
  • Period Time: Renaissance

>Danyel, John : He Whose Desires
  • Ensemble: Well-Tuned Words
  • Running Time: 2 min. 13 sec.
  • Period Time: Renaissance

>Danyel, John : Why Canst Thou Not?
  • Ensemble: Well-Tuned Words
  • Running Time: 1 min. 36 sec.
  • Period Time: Renaissance

>Dowland, John [Composer] : I must complain, yet do enjoy my love, for 4 voices & lute (Third Book of Songs)
  • Ensemble: Well-Tuned Words
  • Running Time: 3 min. sec.
  • Period Time: Renaissance
  • Written: 1603

>Dowland, John [Composer] : Mrs. Winters Jump, for lute, P 55
  • Ensemble: Well-Tuned Words
  • Running Time: 1 min. 1 sec.
  • Period Time: Renaissance

>Dowland, John [Composer] : I saw my lady weep, for 2 voices & lute (Second Book of Song)
  • Ensemble: Well-Tuned Words
  • Running Time: 4 min. 47 sec.
  • Period Time: Renaissance
  • Written: by 1600

>Dowland, John [Composer] : Wilt thou unkind thus reave me of my heart, for 4 voices & lute (First Book of Songs)
  • Ensemble: Well-Tuned Words
  • Running Time: 3 min. 4 sec.
  • Period Time: Renaissance
  • Written: 1597

>Campion, Thomas : I must complain, yet doe enjoy my love, for voice & bass viol
  • Ensemble: Well-Tuned Words
  • Running Time: 2 min. 6 sec.
  • Period Time: Renaissance
  • Written: 1617

>Campion, Thomas : Come let us sound with melody the praises
  • Ensemble: Well-Tuned Words
  • Running Time: 3 min. 3 sec.
  • Period Time: Renaissance

>Campion, Thomas : It fell on a sommers daie
  • Ensemble: Well-Tuned Words
  • Notes: Composition written: 1601.
  • Running Time: 2 min. 31 sec.
  • Period Time: Renaissance
  • Form: Vocal
  • Written: 1601

>Campion, Thomas : Shall I come sweet love to thee?
  • Ensemble: Well-Tuned Words
  • Running Time: 3 min. sec.
  • Period Time: Renaissance
  • Written: 1617

>Dowland, John [Composer] : Mr Dowland's Midnight, almain for lute, P 99
  • Ensemble: Well-Tuned Words
  • Running Time: 1 min. 15 sec.
  • Period Time: Renaissance
  • Written: by 1626

>Dowland, John [Composer] : Go crystal tears, for 4 voices & lute (First Book of Songs)
  • Ensemble: Well-Tuned Words
  • Running Time: 2 min. 48 sec.
  • Period Time: Renaissance
  • Form: Vocal
  • Written: 1597

>Dowland, John [Composer] : Now, O now I needs must part, for 4 voices & lute (First Book of Songs)
  • Ensemble: Well-Tuned Words
  • Running Time: 4 min. 25 sec.
  • Period Time: Renaissance
  • Written: by 1597