- Mascagni — Messa di Gloria: Kyrie (Tenor, Bass, Chorus) $0.69 on iTunes
- Mascagni — Messa di Gloria: Gloria (Tenor, Bass, Chorus) $0.69 on iTunes
- Mascagni — Messa di Gloria: Gloria. Laudamus (Tenor, Chorus) $0.69 on iTunes
- Mascagni — Messa di Gloria: Gloria. Gratias (Bass) $0.69 on iTunes
- Mascagni — Messa di Gloria: Gloria. Domine Deus (Tenor, Bass) $0.69 on iTunes
- Mascagni — Messa di Gloria: Gloria. Qui tollis (Tenor) $0.69 on iTunes
- Mascagni — Messa di Gloria: Gloria. Qui sedes (Bass) $0.69 on iTunes
- Mascagni — Messa di Gloria: Gloria. Quoniam (Tenor, Bass, Chorus) $0.69 on iTunes
- Mascagni — Messa di Gloria: Gloria. Cum Sancto Spiritu (Tenor, Bass, Chorus) $0.69 on iTunes
- Mascagni — Messa di Gloria: Credo (Chorus) $0.69 on iTunes
- Mascagni — Messa di Gloria: Credo. Et incarnatus (Tenor, Chorus) $0.69 on iTunes
- Mascagni — Messa di Gloria: Credo. Et resurrexit (Tenor, Bass, Chorus) $0.69 on iTunes
- Mascagni — Messa di Gloria: Sanctus (Tenor, Chorus) $0.69 on iTunes
- Mascagni — Messa di Gloria: Sanctus. Elevazione $0.69 on iTunes
- Mascagni — Messa di Gloria: Sanctus. Benedictus (Bass) $0.69 on iTunes
- Mascagni — Messa di Gloria: Sanctus. Hosanna (Chorus) $0.69 on iTunes
- Mascagni — Messa di Gloria: Agnus Dei (Tenor, Bass, Chorus) $0.69 on iTunes
Notes & Reviews:
Today Mascagni is best remembered for his verismo opera Cavalleria rusticana, a work which firmly belongs in many of the greatest opera houses' core repertory, but his Messa di Gloria - which predates this composition by a matter of months and from which many of Cavalleria's themes in fact derive - was also greatly lauded in its day. Mascagni's interest in church music can be traced back to the days of his gifted adolescence: by the age of 13 he has written a Kyrie; at the age of 16 he refers in a letter to his involvement in composing a Mass (together with his friend Barbini); and during his student days in Milan he composed a motet as well as a great deal of music for the Messa per la festa di Maria SS. del Rosario. First performed in the Apulian town of Cerginola and conducted by the composer himself, a contemporary account of the Messa di Gloria described it as 'a very powerful and original work, full of beauty, inspired by the requirements of modern taste'. In 1891 Mascagni repeated the performance to an audience of 6000, as part of the celebrations marking the sixth centenary of Orvieto's famous cathedral; such was the reception that the magazine Teatro illustrato declared the occasion 'an event for the art of music in Italy'. Anyone expecting to hear a chorale, a fugue or even a simple fugato anywhere in the piece would have been disappointed, however, and doubts were raised regarding the religious nature of the work. Instead, as the composer himself wrote, the Messa di Gloria can be described as a 'prayer. The Mass is a prayer, all love and all passion!' Here it is performed with aplomb by Ensemble Seicentonovento, an renowned vocal-instrumental group that has recorded widely and appeared with such notable singers as José Carreras and Patrizia Pace. Iorio Zennaro and Pietro Spagnoli contribute well-executed arias to the mix as the respective tenor and bass soloists. Other information: Recorded in Rome in June 1991. Booklet contains detailed notes on the composer's sacred music journey. ALSO AVAILABLE:
BBC Music Magazine, March 2015
From the same period as Cavalleria Rusticana, and just as lusty in places, Mascagni's mass is certainly worth hearing. Playing and singing are idiomatic, if fuzzily executed in places.
Recording information: Oratorio del Caravita, Rome (06/1991).
ReviewsThere are currently no reviews, be the first one!
Mysterious Nativity - Christmas music for choir by Georgy Sviridov, Arvo Part, Dimitri Tchesnokov, Vytautas Miskinis, Alfred Schnittke / Lés Metaboles
Francesco Cilea: Chamber Music / Ilaria Cusano, violin; Jacopo Di Tonno, cello, Domenico Codispoti, piano
Erich Wolfgang Korngold (1897-1957): Violin Concerto & Violin Sonata / Kristóf Baráti, violin; Gábor Farkas, piano; Philharmonie Zuidnederland; Otto Tausk
Franz Lehar: Giuditta / Natalia Ushakova, Mehrzad Montazeri, Dietrich Siegl, Natalia Ushakova, Peter Uray, Stephan Paryla. Rudolf Bibl, Morbisch Festival Opera [DVD]
Roffredo Caetani (1871-1961): Ballat, Op. 9; Impromptus (4); Toccata Op. 9; Sonata Op. 3 / Alessandra Ammara, piano
Christmas Organ: Noel aux Orgues de Tende et de Chambéry / René Saorgin, organ
Bis willekommen (Be welcome), Anthems & Motets for Advent, Christmas and Epiphany - works by Praetorius, Distler, Victoria, Heller et al. / Ensemble Nobiles
Tchaikovsky: Cherevichki, a comic-fantastic opera in 4 acts (rec. 1948) / Soloists, choir & orchestra of the Bolshoi Theatre
Baroque Christmas, cantatas & motets by W.F. Bach, J.C. Bach, J.C.F. Bach, C.P.E. Bach, J.S. Bach, Geist, Buxtehude, Telemann, Porpora et al.
Works DetailsMascagni, Pietro : Messa di gloria
- Performers: Pietro Spagnoli (Bass); Iorio Zennaro (Tenor)
- Conductor: Flavio Colusso
- Ensemble: Ensemble Seicentonovecento
- Running Time: 5 min. 18 sec.
- Period Time: Post Romantic
- Form: Choral
- Written: 1888