1 800 222 6872

Milhaud: Six chamber symphonies; Le Boeuf sur le toit; Le Carnaval d'Aix / Luxembourg RSO; Milhaud

Album Summary

>Milhaud, Darius : Little Symphony, for chamber orchestra no 1, "Le Printemps", Op. 43
>Milhaud, Darius : Little Symphony, for chamber orchesrra no 2, "Pastorale", Op. 49
>Milhaud, Darius : Little Symphony, for chamber orchestra no 3, "Sérénade", Op. 71
>Milhaud, Darius : Little Symphony, for 10 strings no 4, "Dixtour", Op. 74
>Milhaud, Darius : Little Symphony, for 10 winds no 5, "Dixtour d'instruments à vent", Op. 75
>Milhaud, Darius : Little Symphony, for vocal quartet, oboe & cello no 6, Op. 79
>Milhaud, Darius : L'Homme et son désir, "poème plastique" (ballet) for 4 voices, 12 instruments & 15 percussion (or 2
>Milhaud, Darius : Concerto, for 2 pianos & orchestra (or 3 pianos) no 1, Op. 228
>Milhaud, Darius : Suite Cisalpine sur des airs populaires piémontais (3), for cello & orchestra (or piano), Op. 332
>Milhaud, Darius : Le boeuf sur le toit, Op. 58
>Milhaud, Darius : Concerto, for percussion & chamber orchestra (or piano), Op. 109
>Milhaud, Darius : Concerto, for viola and orchestra (or piano) no 1, Op. 108
>Milhaud, Darius : La muse ménagère (15), suite for piano, Op. 245
>Milhaud, Darius : Le carnaval d'Aix (11), fantasy for piano & orchestra, Op. 83b
Performers Conductors Ensembles Composer

Notes & Reviews:

Many classical music listeners will be familiar with the name Darius Milhaud, but how familiar are they with his output? The owner of a bold, individual style, Milhaud was active for much of the 20th century, a modernist who is counted among the group of composers known as 'Les Six' (a term coined by the music critic Henri Collet in 1920) and who was much influenced by jazz, polytonality as well as the sounds of Brazil. Bringing together many of his orchestral works, some of which are conducted by the composer himself, this release is the perfect starting-point for those wishing to become acquainted with his art. Beginning with the Six Little Symphonies, early but imaginative works written for a variety of different textures between 1917 and 1923, the set traverses through the likewise youthful ballet L'homme et son désir, inspired by the mystique of the primeval Brazilian forest, touching on a range of different concertos in its path (including the brilliant Second Piano Concerto, completed in 1941). A carnival spirit colors many of the works - particularly the Suite cisalpine and Le carnaval d'Aix - unsurprising given the composer's many visits to this country, though the South American colors are always tempered by the Milhaud's native Provence, imbued as they are with French music-hall melodies, touches of piquant chromaticism and polytonality. Also included is the famous Le buf sur le toit, an episodic fantasia on popular Brazilian tunes, and La muse ménagère, composed in honor of Milhaud's wife. Together with notes by the composer on several of the works included, this special set offers consummate performances, many of which are given by the former Orchestra of Radio Luxembourg. A valuable addition to the classical music enthusiast's library. Other information: Booklet includes extensive notes on the music, including contributions from the composer himself.



Reviews

There are currently no reviews, be the first one!
Login or Create an Account to write a review
 

Also Purchased

Works Details

>Milhaud, Darius : Little Symphony, for chamber orchestra no 1, "Le Printemps", Op. 43
  • Conductor: Darius Milhaud
  • Ensemble: Orchestra of Radio Luxembourg
  • Running Time: 3 min. 32 sec.
  • Period Time: Modern
  • Written: 1917

>Milhaud, Darius : Little Symphony, for chamber orchesrra no 2, "Pastorale", Op. 49
  • Conductor: Darius Milhaud
  • Running Time: 4 min. 37 sec.
  • Period Time: Modern
  • Written: 1918

>Milhaud, Darius : Little Symphony, for chamber orchestra no 3, "Sérénade", Op. 71
  • Conductor: Darius Milhaud
  • Running Time: 3 min. 39 sec.
  • Period Time: Modern
  • Written: 1921

>Milhaud, Darius : Little Symphony, for 10 strings no 4, "Dixtour", Op. 74
  • Conductor: Darius Milhaud
  • Running Time: 6 min. 4 sec.
  • Period Time: Modern
  • Written: 1921

>Milhaud, Darius : Little Symphony, for 10 winds no 5, "Dixtour d'instruments à vent", Op. 75
  • Conductor: Darius Milhaud
  • Running Time: 6 min. 6 sec.
  • Period Time: Modern
  • Written: 1922

>Milhaud, Darius : Little Symphony, for vocal quartet, oboe & cello no 6, Op. 79
  • Performers: Venet Arend; Josette Doemer; Raymond Koster; Georges Mallach (Cello); Norbert Mattern (Oboe)
  • Conductor: Darius Milhaud
  • Running Time: 7 min. sec.
  • Period Time: Modern
  • Written: 1923

>Milhaud, Darius : L'Homme et son désir, "poème plastique" (ballet) for 4 voices, 12 instruments & 15 percussion (or 2
  • Performers: Venet Arend; Josette Doemer; Raymond Koster; Georges Mallach (Cello); Norbert Mattern (Oboe)
  • Conductor: Darius Milhaud
  • Notes: Composition written: 1918.
  • Running Time: 17 min. 15 sec.
  • Period Time: Modern
  • Form: Ballet
  • Written: 1918

>Milhaud, Darius : Concerto, for 2 pianos & orchestra (or 3 pianos) no 1, Op. 228
  • Performer: Grant Johannesen (Piano)
  • Conductor: Bernhard Kontarsky
  • Running Time: 12 min. 27 sec.
  • Period Time: Modern
  • Form: Concerto
  • Written: 1941

>Milhaud, Darius : Suite Cisalpine sur des airs populaires piémontais (3), for cello & orchestra (or piano), Op. 332
  • Performer: Thomas Blees (Cello)
  • Conductor: Bernhard Kontarsky
  • Running Time: 14 min. 41 sec.
  • Period Time: Modern
  • Written: 1954

>Milhaud, Darius : Le boeuf sur le toit, Op. 58
  • Conductor: Louis Froment
  • Running Time: 15 min. 31 sec.
  • Period Time: Modern
  • Form: Ballet
  • Written: 1919

>Milhaud, Darius : Concerto, for percussion & chamber orchestra (or piano), Op. 109
  • Performer: Daniel Faure (Percussion)
  • Conductor: Darius Milhaud
  • Running Time: 7 min. 41 sec.
  • Period Time: Modern
  • Form: Concerto
  • Written: 1929-1930

>Milhaud, Darius : Concerto, for viola and orchestra (or piano) no 1, Op. 108
  • Performer: Ulrich Koch (Viola)
  • Conductor: Darius Milhaud
  • Running Time: 12 min. 5 sec.
  • Period Time: Modern
  • Form: Concerto
  • Written: 1929

>Milhaud, Darius : La muse ménagère (15), suite for piano, Op. 245
  • Performer: Grant Johannesen (Piano)
  • Running Time: 21 min. 20 sec.
  • Period Time: Modern
  • Written: 1944

>Milhaud, Darius : Le carnaval d'Aix (11), fantasy for piano & orchestra, Op. 83b
  • Performer: Carl Seemann (Piano)
  • Conductor: Darius Milhaud
  • Running Time: 18 min. 20 sec.
  • Period Time: Modern
  • Written: 1926