- Alkan — [Première] Elégie, for cello and piano, S. 130 $0.99 on iTunes
- Alkan — Romance oubliée, for cello and piano, S. 132 $0.99 on iTunes
- Alkan — Cello Sonata in E Major, Op. 47: I. Allegro molto
- Alkan — Cello Sonata in E Major, Op. 47: II. Allegrettino $0.99 on iTunes
- Alkan — Cello Sonata in E Major, Op. 47: III. Adagio $0.99 on iTunes
- Alkan — Cello Sonata in E Major, Op. 47: IV. Finale alla saltarella. Prestissimo $0.99 on iTunes
- Alkan — La Lugubre Gondole ["Troisième Elégie"], for cello and piano, S. 134 $0.99 on iTunes
- Alkan — Die Zelle in Nonnenwerth for cello and piano, S. 382 $0.99 on iTunes
- Alkan — Deuxième Elégie, for cello and piano, S. 131 $0.99 on iTunes
Notes & Reviews:
This collection of works for cello and piano performed by Emmanuelle Bertrand and Pascal Amoyel features works by two illustrious nineteenth-century pianists, Charles-Valentin Alkan and Franz Liszt, generally associated with a style founded on transcendental virtuosity. Yet both the late works of Liszt, with their funereal and elegiac character, and the splendid Cello Sonata that Alkan wrote in the middle years of the century, reflect a shared ideal of purified expression and a poetic vision of instrumental music.
BBC Music Magazine, November 2014
A feast of beautifully sensitive cello and piano playing. Placed between Liszt's haunting late pieces, Alkan's overlong Sonata has moments to savour.
MusicWeb International, September 2014
We are treated to soberingly elemental sounds under the deft musicianship of Bertrand and Amoyel ... With an admixture of technical precision, brio and steady resonance, French cellist Bertrand leaves us awash in colour and texture...this is a refreshing collection where the virtuosity of composers and performers is met with disarming humility.
ReviewsThere are currently no reviews, be the first one!
Alessandro Scarlatti: Con eco d'Amore - arias from cantatas, serenatas & operas / Elizabeth Watts, soprano; The English Consort, Cummings
From the Imperial Court: Music for the House of Hapsburg by Clemens, Crecquillon, Despres, Gombert, Isaac, Lobo, Morales, Senfl, Tallis et al. / Stile Antico
August Enna (1859-1939): Violin Concerto; Overture Cleopatra; Symphonic Fantasy / Hermann Baumer
Purcell: Harpsichord Suites Nos. 1-8 / Kenneth Gilbert, harpsichord
Chant Corse: Manuscrits franciscains, authentic Corsican sacred chant / Ensemble Organim, Pérès
Lassus: Lagrime di San Pietro / Ens. Vocal Européen, Herreweghe
In Praise of Saint Columba: The Sound World of the Celtic Church from the 7th, 10th & 14th centuries / Barnaby Brown, triplepipes & lyre
Ernest Bloch: Cello suites; Méditation hébraïque, From Jewish Life, Nirvana, Nigun / Emmanuelle Bertrand, cello; Pascal Amoyel, piano
Étienne Moulinié (1599-1669): Meslanges pour la Chapelle d'un Prince; works by Boesset, De Chancy & Constantin / Ens. Correspondances