1 800 222 6872

A Gottschalk Festival / Abravanel, Utah SO

Audio Samples

  1. A Gottschalk Festival — A Night in the Tropics (Symphony No. 1): I. Andante
  2. A Gottschalk Festival — A Night in the Tropics (Symphony No. 1): II. Allegro Moderato $0.99 on iTunes
  3. A Gottschalk Festival — The Banjo – Grotesque Fantasie, Op. 15 $0.99 on iTunes
  4. A Gottschalk Festival — The Dying Poet – A meditation, Op. 110 $0.99 on iTunes
  5. A Gottschalk Festival — Souvenir de Porto Rico – Marche des Gibaros, Op. 31 $0.99 on iTunes
  6. A Gottschalk Festival — Le Bananier – Chanson Nègre, Op. 5 $0.99 on iTunes
  7. A Gottschalk Festival — Ojos Criollos (Danse Cubaine), Op. 37 $0.99 on iTunes
  8. A Gottschalk Festival — Bamboula – Danse des Nègres, Op. 2 $0.99 on iTunes
  9. A Gottschalk Festival — The Maiden’s Blush, Op. 106 $0.99 on iTunes
  10. A Gottschalk Festival — The Last Hope, Op. 16 $0.99 on iTunes
  11. A Gottschalk Festival — Suis Moi – Caprice, Op. 45 $0.99 on iTunes
  12. A Gottschalk Festival — Pasquinade – Caprice, Op. 59 $0.99 on iTunes
  13. A Gottschalk Festival — La Savane – Ballade Créole, Op. 3 $0.99 on iTunes
  14. A Gottschalk Festival — Tournament Galop $0.99 on iTunes
  15. A Gottschalk Festival — A Montevideo (Symphony No. 2)
  16. A Gottschalk Festival — Grand Tarantelle for piano & orchestra, Op. 67 $0.99 on iTunes
  17. A Gottschalk Festival — Marche Solennelle, RO 154 $0.99 on iTunes
  18. A Gottschalk Festival — Variations on the Portuguese National Hymn, Op. 91 $0.99 on iTunes
  19. A Gottschalk Festival — Escenas Campestres, RO 77
  20. A Gottschalk Festival — Marcha Triunfal y Final de Opera, RO 157 $0.99 on iTunes
  21. A Gottschalk Festival — Grande Fantaisie sur l’Hymne National Bresilien, Op. 69 $0.99 on iTunes
  22. A Gottschalk Festival — La Jota Aragonesa, Op. 14 $0.99 on iTunes
  23. A Gottschalk Festival — Souvenirs d’Andalousie, Op. 22 $0.99 on iTunes
  24. A Gottschalk Festival — La Gallina, Op. 53 $0.99 on iTunes
  25. A Gottschalk Festival — Orfa, Op. 71 $0.99 on iTunes
  26. A Gottschalk Festival — Marche de Nuit, Op. 17 $0.99 on iTunes
  27. A Gottschalk Festival — Printemps d’Amour, Op. 40 $0.99 on iTunes
  28. A Gottschalk Festival — Radieuse, Op. 72 $0.99 on iTunes
  29. A Gottschalk Festival — Responds-moi, Op. 50 $0.99 on iTunes
  30. A Gottschalk Festival — Tremolo, Op. 58 $0.99 on iTunes
  31. A Gottschalk Festival — L’Etincelle, Op. 21 $0.99 on iTunes
  32. A Gottschalk Festival — Ses Yeux, Op. 66 $0.99 on iTunes
  33. A Gottschalk Festival — The Union, for two pianos, Op. 48 $0.99 on iTunes

Album Summary

>Gottschalk, Louis M. : Symphony no 1
>Gottschalk, Louis M. : Le Banjo, esquisse américaine for piano, Op. 15, D. 15 (RO 22)
>Gottschalk, Louis M. : The Dying Poet, meditation for piano, D. 45 (RO 75)
>Gottschalk, Louis M. : Souvenir de Porto Rico, marche des gibaros for piano, Op. 31, D. 147 (RO 250)
>Gottschalk, Louis M. : Le bananier, chanson nègre for piano, Op. 5, D. 14 (RO 21)
>Gottschalk, Louis M. : Ojos Criollos - danse cubaine, caprice brillante for piano, Op. 37, D. 105a (RO 185)
>Gottschalk, Louis M. : Bamboula, danse des nègres for piano, Op. 2, D. 13 (RO 20)
>Gottschalk, Louis M. : The Maiden's Blush, grande valse de concert for piano, D. 84 (RO 141)
>Gottschalk, Louis M. : The Last Hope, meditation for piano, Op. 16, D. 80 (RO 133)
>Gottschalk, Louis M. : Suis-Moi!, contradanza for piano, Op. 45, D. 157 (RO 253)
>Gottschalk, Louis M. : Pasquinade, caprice for piano, Op. 59, D. 113 (RO 189)
>Gottschalk, Louis M. : La Savane, ballade créole for piano, Op. 3, D. 135 (RO 232)
>Gottschalk, Louis M. : Tournament Galop, for piano, D. 153 (RO 264)
>Gottschalk, Louis M. : Symphony no 2
>Gottschalk, Louis M. : Grande Tarantelle, for piano & orchestra, Op. 67, D. 66 (RO 259)
>Gottschalk, Louis M. : Marche Solennelle, for orchestra, band & artillery, D. 91(RO 154)
>Gottschalk, Louis M. : Variations de concert sur l'hymne portugais, for piano, Op. 91, D. 157 (RO 290)
>Gottschalk, Louis M. : Esceñas campestres, opera in 1 act ("Cuban Country Scenes"), D. 47 (RO 77)
>Gottschalk, Louis M. : Marcha Triunfal y Final de Opera, for orchestra, D. 87(RO 157)
>Gottschalk, Louis M. : Grande Fantaisie triomphale sur l'hymne national brésilien, fantasia for piano & orchestra, Op. 69,
>Gottschalk, Louis M. : La Jota aragonesa, caprice espagñol for piano, 4 hands, Op. 14, D. 79 (RO 131)
>Gottschalk, Louis M. : Souvenirs D'Andalousie, caprice de concert for piano, Op. 22, D. 148 (RO 242)
>Gottschalk, Louis M. : La Gallina, danse cubaine for piano, 4 hands, Op. 53, D. 60 (RO 100)
>Gottschalk, Louis M. : Orfa, grande polka for piano, 4 hands, Op. 71, D. 108a
>Gottschalk, Louis M. : Marche de nuit, march for piano, 4 hands, Op. 17, D. 89a (RO 151)
>Gottschalk, Louis M. : Printemps d'amour, mazurka
>Gottschalk, Louis M. : Radieuse, grande valse de concert for piano, 4 hands, Op. 72, D. 127 (RO 217)
>Gottschalk, Louis M. : Réponds-moi, danse cubaine
>Gottschalk, Louis M. : Tremolo, grande étude de concert for piano, Op 58, D. 154 (RO 265)
>Gottschalk, Louis M. : L'Étincelle, mazurka sentimentale for piano, 4 hands ("The Spark"), Op. 21, D. 49a (RO 80)
>Gottschalk, Louis M. : Ses Yeux, polka de concert for 2 pianos, Op. 66, D. 137 (RO 234)
>Gottschalk, Louis M. : L'Union, paraphrase de concert for piano & orchestra (arranged by Samuel Adler), Op. 48 (RO 269)
Performers Conductors Ensembles Composer

Notes & Reviews:

Louis Moreau Gottschalk was America's first musical superstar, a virtuoso pianist and sensation not unlike his contemporary Liszt.

His compositions were very popular in his day and beyond, idiosyncratic works that blended Continental traditions with Creole flair from his native New Orleans and the sounds of his beloved South America.

This 3-CD collection contains his major works for piano (solo and four-hand) and orchestra, including Bamboula, La Savane, The Union, and his two short symphonies (`A Night in the Tropics` and `A Montevideo`).

From the Vox and Vanguard archives, these all feature the incomparable Eugene List, something of a superstar himself.



Reviews

There are currently no reviews, be the first one!
Login or Create an Account to write a review
 

Also Purchased

Works Details

>Gottschalk, Louis M. : Symphony no 1 :: "La nuit des tropiques" (Night in the Tropics), for orchestra, D. 104 (RO 255)
  • Performer: Reid Nibley (Piano)
  • Conductor: Maurice Abravanel
  • Ensemble: Utah Symphony Orchestra
  • Running Time: 18 min. 59 sec.
  • Period Time: Romantic
  • Form: Orchestral
  • Written: 1858-1859

>Gottschalk, Louis M. : Le Banjo, esquisse américaine for piano, Op. 15, D. 15 (RO 22)
  • Performer: Eugene List (Piano)
  • Running Time: 3 min. 59 sec.
  • Period Time: Romantic
  • Written: 1854-1855

>Gottschalk, Louis M. : The Dying Poet, meditation for piano, D. 45 (RO 75)
  • Performer: Eugene List (Piano)
  • Running Time: 5 min. 54 sec.
  • Period Time: Romantic
  • Written: 1863-1864

>Gottschalk, Louis M. : Souvenir de Porto Rico, marche des gibaros for piano, Op. 31, D. 147 (RO 250)
  • Performer: Eugene List (Piano)
  • Running Time: 6 min. 4 sec.
  • Period Time: Romantic
  • Form: March
  • Written: 1857

>Gottschalk, Louis M. : Le bananier, chanson nègre for piano, Op. 5, D. 14 (RO 21)
  • Performer: Eugene List (Piano)
  • Running Time: 2 min. 53 sec.
  • Period Time: Romantic
  • Written: 1846

>Gottschalk, Louis M. : Ojos Criollos - danse cubaine, caprice brillante for piano, Op. 37, D. 105a (RO 185)
  • Performer: Eugene List (Piano)
  • Running Time: 2 min. 31 sec.
  • Period Time: Romantic
  • Written: 1859

>Gottschalk, Louis M. : Bamboula, danse des nègres for piano, Op. 2, D. 13 (RO 20)
  • Performer: Eugene List (Piano)
  • Notes: Composition written: 1844-45.
  • Running Time: 7 min. 26 sec.
  • Period Time: Romantic
  • Written: 1844-1845

>Gottschalk, Louis M. : The Maiden's Blush, grande valse de concert for piano, D. 84 (RO 141)
  • Performer: Eugene List (Piano)
  • Running Time: 3 min. 3 sec.
  • Period Time: Romantic
  • Form: Waltz
  • Written: 1863-1864

>Gottschalk, Louis M. : The Last Hope, meditation for piano, Op. 16, D. 80 (RO 133)
  • Performer: Eugene List (Piano)
  • Running Time: 6 min. 2 sec.
  • Period Time: Romantic
  • Written: 1854

>Gottschalk, Louis M. : Suis-Moi!, contradanza for piano, Op. 45, D. 157 (RO 253)
  • Performer: Eugene List (Piano)
  • Running Time: 4 min. 13 sec.
  • Period Time: Romantic
  • Written: 1861

>Gottschalk, Louis M. : Pasquinade, caprice for piano, Op. 59, D. 113 (RO 189)
  • Performer: Eugene List (Piano)
  • Running Time: 4 min. 28 sec.
  • Period Time: Romantic
  • Written: 1869

>Gottschalk, Louis M. : La Savane, ballade créole for piano, Op. 3, D. 135 (RO 232)
  • Performer: Eugene List (Piano)
  • Running Time: 6 min. 37 sec.
  • Period Time: Romantic
  • Written: 1846

>Gottschalk, Louis M. : Tournament Galop, for piano, D. 153 (RO 264)
  • Performer: Eugene List (Piano)
  • Running Time: 3 min. 6 sec.
  • Period Time: Romantic
  • Written: 1854

>Gottschalk, Louis M. : Symphony no 2 :: "A Montevideo", for orchestra, D. 99 (RO 257)
  • Performer: Eugene List (Piano)
  • Conductor: Igor Buketoff
  • Running Time: 12 min. 14 sec.
  • Period Time: Romantic
  • Form: Orchestral
  • Written: 1868

>Gottschalk, Louis M. : Grande Tarantelle, for piano & orchestra, Op. 67, D. 66 (RO 259)
  • Performers: Eugene List (Piano); Reid Nibley (Piano)
  • Conductor: Maurice Abravanel
  • Running Time: 7 min. 35 sec.
  • Period Time: Romantic
  • Form: Concerto
  • Written: 1858-1868

>Gottschalk, Louis M. : Marche Solennelle, for orchestra, band & artillery, D. 91(RO 154)
  • Performer: Eugene List (Piano)
  • Conductor: Samuel Adler
  • Running Time: 9 min. 44 sec.
  • Period Time: Romantic
  • Form: March
  • Written: 1868

>Gottschalk, Louis M. : Variations de concert sur l'hymne portugais, for piano, Op. 91, D. 157 (RO 290)
  • Performer: Eugene List (Piano)
  • Conductor: Igor Buketoff
  • Running Time: 9 min. 42 sec.
  • Period Time: Romantic
  • Written: 1869

>Gottschalk, Louis M. : Esceñas campestres, opera in 1 act ("Cuban Country Scenes"), D. 47 (RO 77)
  • Performers: Jose Esteves; Pablo Garcia; Eugene List (Piano); Trinidad Paniagua (Soprano)
  • Conductor: Igor Buketoff
  • Notes: Composition written: 1860.
  • Running Time: 13 min. 23 sec.
  • Period Time: Romantic
  • Form: Opera/Operetta
  • Written: 1860

>Gottschalk, Louis M. : Marcha Triunfal y Final de Opera, for orchestra, D. 87(RO 157)
  • Performer: Eugene List (Piano)
  • Conductor: Samuel Adler
  • Running Time: 9 min. 5 sec.
  • Period Time: Romantic
  • Form: March
  • Written: 02/1860

>Gottschalk, Louis M. : Grande Fantaisie triomphale sur l'hymne national brésilien, fantasia for piano & orchestra, Op. 69,
  • Performer: Eugene List (Piano)
  • Conductor: Samuel Adler
  • Running Time: 9 min. 35 sec.
  • Period Time: Romantic
  • Written: 1869

>Gottschalk, Louis M. : La Jota aragonesa, caprice espagñol for piano, 4 hands, Op. 14, D. 79 (RO 131)
  • Performers: Cary Lewis (Piano); Eugene List (Piano)
  • Running Time: 3 min. 13 sec.
  • Period Time: Romantic
  • Written: 1852

>Gottschalk, Louis M. : Souvenirs D'Andalousie, caprice de concert for piano, Op. 22, D. 148 (RO 242)
  • Performers: Eugene List (Piano); Joseph Werner (Piano)
  • Running Time: 4 min. 9 sec.
  • Period Time: Romantic
  • Written: 1851

>Gottschalk, Louis M. : La Gallina, danse cubaine for piano, 4 hands, Op. 53, D. 60 (RO 100)
  • Performers: Eugene List (Piano); Joseph Werner (Piano)
  • Running Time: 2 min. 38 sec.
  • Period Time: Romantic
  • Written: 1859-1863

>Gottschalk, Louis M. : Orfa, grande polka for piano, 4 hands, Op. 71, D. 108a
  • Performers: Cary Lewis (Piano); Eugene List (Piano)
  • Running Time: 3 min. 5 sec.
  • Period Time: Romantic
  • Written: by 1870

>Gottschalk, Louis M. : Marche de nuit, march for piano, 4 hands, Op. 17, D. 89a (RO 151)
  • Performers: Eugene List (Piano); Joseph Werner (Piano)
  • Running Time: 4 min. 53 sec.
  • Period Time: Romantic
  • Written: 1855

>Gottschalk, Louis M. : Printemps d'amour, mazurka :: caprice de concert for piano, 4 hands, D. 125 (RO 214)
  • Performers: Cary Lewis (Piano); Eugene List (Piano)
  • Running Time: 4 min. 4 sec.
  • Period Time: Romantic
  • Written: after 1870

>Gottschalk, Louis M. : Radieuse, grande valse de concert for piano, 4 hands, Op. 72, D. 127 (RO 217)
  • Performers: Eugene List (Piano); Joseph Werner (Piano)
  • Running Time: 5 min. 15 sec.
  • Period Time: Romantic
  • Form: Waltz
  • Written: 1859-1864

>Gottschalk, Louis M. : Réponds-moi, danse cubaine :: caprice brillante for piano, 4 hands, Op. 50, D. 131(RO 225)
  • Performers: Cary Lewis (Piano); Eugene List (Piano)
  • Running Time: 2 min. 40 sec.
  • Period Time: Romantic
  • Written: 1859

>Gottschalk, Louis M. : Tremolo, grande étude de concert for piano, Op 58, D. 154 (RO 265)
  • Performers: Cary Lewis (Piano); Eugene List (Piano)
  • Running Time: 3 min. 27 sec.
  • Period Time: Romantic
  • Written: 1869

>Gottschalk, Louis M. : L'Étincelle, mazurka sentimentale for piano, 4 hands ("The Spark"), Op. 21, D. 49a (RO 80)
  • Performers: Eugene List (Piano); Joseph Werner (Piano)
  • Running Time: 3 min. 5 sec.
  • Period Time: Romantic
  • Written: by 1854

>Gottschalk, Louis M. : Ses Yeux, polka de concert for 2 pianos, Op. 66, D. 137 (RO 234)
  • Performers: Cary Lewis (Piano); Eugene List (Piano)
  • Running Time: 6 min. 35 sec.
  • Period Time: Romantic
  • Written: 1865

>Gottschalk, Louis M. : L'Union, paraphrase de concert for piano & orchestra (arranged by Samuel Adler), Op. 48 (RO 269)
  • Performers: Cary Lewis (Piano); Eugene List (Piano)
  • Running Time: 7 min. 1 sec.
  • Period Time: Romantic
  • Written: 1969