- Boris Tchaikovsky — Piano Quintet: I. Moderato
- Boris Tchaikovsky — Piano Quintet: II. Allegro - Largo $0.99 on iTunes
- Boris Tchaikovsky — Piano Quintet: III. Allegro $0.99 on iTunes
- Boris Tchaikovsky — Piano Quintet: IV. Adagio
- Boris Tchaikovsky — The War Suite: I. Waltz (Farewell) $0.99 on iTunes
- Boris Tchaikovsky — The War Suite: II. The Night Breakthrough (The High Road) $0.99 on iTunes
- Boris Tchaikovsky — The War Suite: III. The Road $0.99 on iTunes
- Boris Tchaikovsky — The War Suite: IV. Waltz Theme for Solo Clarinet (The Trench) $0.99 on iTunes
- Boris Tchaikovsky — The War Suite: V. Tanks $0.99 on iTunes
- Boris Tchaikovsky — The War Suite: VI. Mournful Waltz (Conclusion) $0.99 on iTunes
- Boris Tchaikovsky — The War Suite: VII. Country House $0.99 on iTunes
- Boris Tchaikovsky — The War Suite: VIII. The Swamp $0.99 on iTunes
- Boris Tchaikovsky — The War Suite: IX. Divarication $0.99 on iTunes
- Boris Tchaikovsky — The War Suite: X. The Battle $0.99 on iTunes
- Boris Tchaikovsky — The War Suite: XI. Finale (Appointment) $0.99 on iTunes
Notes & Reviews:
Boris Tchaikovsky is revered in Russian musical circles as one of the most original and innovative composers of the post-Shostakovich generation. A work of great depth and beauty, the Piano Quintet is considered his finest chamber work and a stylistic milestone which would influence aspects of the later Piano Concerto (8.557727). Based on a the score for the 1964 film While the Front is in Defense, The War Suite is an evocative portrayal of the horrors of battle, but also of heroism, friendship and lost love, at the Volkhov Front, south east of Leningrad, during the winter of 1942.
The Guardian, 11th September 2014
The performances, recorded in Moscow during the Vanbrugh Quartet's 2012 visit, are exceptional.
Gramophone Magazine, November 2014
The Vanburgh Quartet and pianist Olga Solovieva put real intellectual muscle behind the physical weight of their playing...the Vanburghs keep the music pulled psychologically taut.
American Record Guide, January/February 2015
The first movement is fairly tonal. If you love Shostakovich's quintet, you should know this one. The War Suite comes from the music for the film While Defending the Front Line; the director wanted Tchaikovsky to use a string quartet, but he suggested a clarinet as well. The suite is superb. There are several short movements, as you might expect; but they are of top quality. The clarinet part is especially enchanting.
ReviewsThere are currently no reviews, be the first one!
Howells: Stabat Mater / Benjamin Hulett, tenor; Alison Hill, soprano; The Bach Choir; Bournemouth SO; Hill
Bartok: Kossuth, symphonic poem; Two Portraits, Op. 5; Suite No. 1, Op. 3 / Michael Ludwig, violin. JoAnn Falletta, Buffalo PO
Shostakovich: Symphony No. 13 'Babi Yar' / Alexander Vinogradov, bass; Vasily Petrenko, Royal Liverpool PO & Choir
Gian Francesco Malipiero (1882-1973): Fantasie di ogni giorno; Passacaglie; Concerti / Rome SO, La Vecchia
Thierry Lancino (b.1954): Violin Concerto; Prelude and Death of Virgil / Isabelle Faust, violin; Matteo de Monti, baritone; Luxembourg PO; Tamayo
Milhaud: The Oresteia of Aeschylus / S. Outlaw, J. Lane, T. Mumford, L. Phillips et al., soloists; Percussion Ens.; SO & Choir of the University of Michigan; Kiesler
Hummel: Piano Trios, Vol. 1 - Nos. 2, 3, 6 and 7 / Gould Piano Trio
Toshio Hosokawa: Orchestral Works, Vol. 2 / Royal Scottish National Orchestra; Orchestre National de Lyon; Jun Märkl
R. Strauss, Puccini & Verdi: String Quartets / Enso String Quartet
Works DetailsTchaikovsky, Boris : Quintet for piano, 2 violins, viola & cello
- Performer: Olga Solovieva (Piano)
- Ensemble: The Vanbrugh Quartet
- Running Time: 35 min. 53 sec.
- Period Time: Modern
- Form: Chamber Music
- Written: 1962
Tchaikovsky, Boris : The War Suite, for clarinet & string quartet
- Performer: Max Anisimov (Clarinet)
- Running Time: 28 min. 4 sec.
- Period Time: Modern
- Written: 1964