- Mahler — Das Lied von der Erde: I. Das Trinklied vom Jammer der Erde (Live) $0.99 on iTunes
- Mahler — Das Lied von der Erde: II. Der Einsame im Herbst (Live) $0.99 on iTunes
- Mahler — Das Lied von der Erde: III. Von der Jugend (Live) $0.99 on iTunes
- Mahler — Das Lied von der Erde: IV. Von der Schönheit (Live) $0.99 on iTunes
- Mahler — Das Lied von der Erde: V. Der Trunkene im Frühling (Live) $0.99 on iTunes
- Mahler — Das Lied von der Erde: VI. Der Abschied (Live)
- Waldemar Kmentt (Tenor)
Notes & Reviews:
This 1967 recording bears witness to Carlos Kleiber's sole encounter with Gustav Mahler. Prior to this, he had never conducted a work by the composer, and would never do so again. Given how extremely selective was his choice of repertoire, this was certainly an exceptional case. Within the context of the Mahler Festival, he therefore had to bow to the pressures of what was, by his standards, an extremely short rehearsal period of four rehearsals for Das Lied von der Erde. At the time the performance was thus considered thoroughly controversial. Past releases of this particular Das Lied von der Erde recording have received high praise in various Kleiber Internet forums. But these recordings were of such poor quality that knowledgeable Kleiber fans simply could not listen to them. Judging by the condition of the source material, we were working with a second or even a third generation of the original recording. This became the crucial assignment for our recording engineer; to bring new life to this historic recording was certainly a challenge.
American Record Guide, March/April 2015
The only Mahler work Kleiber ever conducted. This is a reconstruction of a 1967 concert performance. Both Kmentt and Ludwig sing well and interpret with knowledge and passion. There are audible splices.
Recording information: Konzerthaus Vienna (06/07/1967).
ReviewsThere are currently no reviews, be the first one!
John Abercrombie/John Abercrombie Quartet: The First Quartet [Box] *
Andy Sheppard Quartet/Andy Sheppard (Sax): Surrounded by Sea
Dialogus: Music for Solo Violin, by Merrill Clark, Karolina Eiriksdottir, Alfred Felder, Runa Ingimundar, Hroomar Ingi Sigurbjornsson and Jonas Tomasson / Hlíf Sigurjónsdóttir, violin
Wolfgang Rihm: Et Lux, for vocal ensemble and string quartet / Huelgas Ensemble; Minguet Quartett; Paul Van Nevel
Heitor Villa-Lobos: Symphony 12; Uirapuru; Mandu-Çarará / Sao Paulo SO Choir & Children's Choir and Sao Paulo SO, Karabtchevsky
Steve Coleman & the Council of Balance (Sax)/Steve Coleman (Sax): Synovial Joints [Digipak]
Irving Fine (1914-1962): Complete Orchestral Works - Toccata Concertante; Notturno; Serious Song; Symphony et al. / BMOP, Rose
Charles Lloyd: Wild Man Dance: Live at Wroclaw Philharmonic, Wroclaw, Poland, November 24, 2013 [Digipak]
Lena Willemark/Karin Nakagawa (Koto)/Anders Jormin: Trees of Light *
Works DetailsMahler, Gustav : Das Lied von der Erde
- Performer: Waldemar Kmentt (Tenor)
- Conductor: Carlos Kleiber
- Ensemble: Vienna Symphony Orchestra
- Running Time: 57 min. 53 sec.
- Period Time: Post Romantic
- Form: Vocal
- Written: 1908-1909