- Pilati — Suite per pianoforte e archi: I. Introduzione (Live) $0.99 on iTunes
- Pilati — Suite per pianoforte e archi: II. Sarabanda (Live) $0.99 on iTunes
- Pilati — Suite per pianoforte e archi: III. Minuetto in rondó (Live) $0.99 on iTunes
- Pilati — Suite per pianoforte e archi: IV. Finale (Live) $0.99 on iTunes
- Pilati — Bagatelles, Book 1: I. Marcia $0.99 on iTunes
- Pilati — Bagatelles, Book 1: II. Ninna nanna $0.99 on iTunes
- Pilati — Bagatelles, Book 1: III. Basso ostinato $0.99 on iTunes
- Pilati — Bagatelles, Book 1: IV. Canzone a ballo $0.99 on iTunes
- Pilati — Bagatelles, Book 1: V. Floreal polka $0.99 on iTunes
- Pilati — Bagatelles, Book 2: I. Barzelletta $0.99 on iTunes
- Pilati — Bagatelles, Book 2: II. Rococò $0.99 on iTunes
- Pilati — Bagatelles, Book 2: III. Contrasto rusticano $0.99 on iTunes
- Pilati — Bagatelles, Book 2: IV. Intermezzo $0.99 on iTunes
- Pilati — Bagatelles, Book 2: V. Rondò valzer $0.99 on iTunes
- Pilati — Bagatelles, Book 2: VI. Fine $0.99 on iTunes
Notes & Reviews:
Mario Pilati’s career has been very short: a rapid success, terminated too early by illness and a premature death. Mario Pilati was born in Naples on 16 October 1903. He started studying piano to fulfil his parents’ wishes as it was the custom of the upper class Neapolitan families that the education of the young included also the study of music. But his father, Antonio Pilati, would not have wanted that his son became a professional musician, so he always obstructed his studies and then his son’s career, who already at thirteen years old knew what he wanted: he was a gifted pianist, in particular, following his creative urges led him to write instinctively a lot of music, even 1before receiving composition lessons. After two years of studies at Musical Lyceum he was admitted at the Conservatory S. Pietro in Majella, following the composition classes of Antonio Savasta (1847-1959) and in only five years (1918-1923) he achieved the Diploma in Composition. This is how Alfredo Sangiorgi, his schoolmate, remembers the years of study with the young Pilati: “Mario Pilati didn’t live his youth, his adolescence was lived among books: thirsty for knowledge, with his sharp intelligence he absorbed the most he could. Since those early years his culture was exceptional and not only his musical one. He reasoned about everything with the balance of an adult: prompt, witty, bright in conversations and in writing, his thought was always clear and precise, in school he preceded everything and everyone”.
American Record Guide, March/April 2015
Mario Pilati (1903-38) led a short but active life in Italy. A friend of his well-known contemporary, Renato Fasano, he taught at the Musical Institute of Cagliari. His music is simple, sweet, and witty. The four-movement suite was written in 1925 and dedicated to Fasano. The 11 Bagatelles for solo piano were written in 1934 and 1935. All of this music is highly enjoyable and is played here with love and wit. Nisi is a sensitive pianist. One always knows where one is, yet he treats the music subtly. The recorded quality is excellent. There is applause after the suite.
ReviewsThere are currently no reviews, be the first one!
Licinio Refice (1883-1954): Cecilia, opera / Gavazzeni, Veneziano et al.; Italian PO, Cremona Camerata; Fracassi
Edition RadioMusiken Vol. 2: Suites & Overtures for the Radio - works by Schreker, Toch, Spoliansky, Braunfels, Spoliansky / Dresden State Opera Orch.
Josef Suk (1874-1935): Complete Works for String Quartet; Piano Quintet / Minguet Quartet; Matthias Kirschnereit, piano
Peter Sculthorpe (1929-2014): The Complete Sting Quartets with Didjeridu / Stephen Kent, Didjeridu; Del Sol Quartet
Paul Lansky (b.1944): Textures & Threads, music for percussion & piano / Svet Stoyanov, Gwendolyn Burgett, Ian Rosenbaum, Ayano Kataoka, percussionists; Thomas Rosenkranz, piano
Philippe Gaubert (1879-1941): Violin Sonata; Pieces (3) for cello & Piano; Lamento for cello & piano et al. / Varjabédian, Demarquette, Jude
Charles Bordes: Songs and Works for Piano / Sophie Marin-Degor, soprano; Jean -Sébastien Bou, baritone; Francois-René Duchable, piano
Hugues Dufourt: Orchestral Works, Vol. 2 - Voyage par-dela les fleuves et les monts; Lucifer d'apres pollock
Tom Cunningham: The Okavango Machbeth