- Mayr — Il sogno di Partenope: Ouverture $0.99 on iTunes
- Mayr — Il sogno di Partenope: in questa sede (Urania, Tersicore, Coro delle Muse) $0.99 on iTunes
- Mayr — Il sogno di Partenope: Deh per pieta (Partenope) $0.99 on iTunes
- Mayr — Il sogno di Partenope: Sospendi, o regia Ninfa (Mercurio) $0.99 on iTunes
- Mayr — Il sogno di Partenope: Ah! Lo confesso, o Numi (Partenope, Minerva, Mercurio) $0.99 on iTunes
- Mayr — Il sogno di Partenope: Che avvenne (Partenope, Mercurio) $0.99 on iTunes
- Mayr — Il sogno di Partenope: Qual forza sovrumana (Il Tempo, Mercurio) $0.99 on iTunes
- Mayr — Il sogno di Partenope: Spunta lieto (Coro Generale) $0.99 on iTunes
- Mayr — Il sogno di Partenope: E fia ver gia? (Partenope, Coro Generale) $0.99 on iTunes
- Mayr — Il sogno di Partenope: Tutto compito (Apollo) $0.99 on iTunes
- Mayr — Il sogno di Partenope: Celebriamo il Monarcha immortale (Coro Generale) $0.99 on iTunes
Notes & Reviews:
MusicWeb International, February 2015
The singing of the chorus is excellent throughout; the orchestra likewise. I have nothing but praise for the soloists with an extra laurel to Andrea Lauren Brown'a Partenope and Cornel Frey's expressive Mercurio. While I still regret tht the work is incomplete, there is a lot of excellent music on offer in this world premiere recording.
Franz Hauk and the Simon Mayr Chorus and Ensemble have spearheaded the revival of the music of Johann Simon Mayr who was born in Bavaria but lived in Italy. In the latest instalment of their critically acclaimed recordings they turn to Il sogno di Partenope, an allegorical staged cantata composed to mark the rebuilding of the Teatro San Carlo in Naples following a fire in February 1816. Mayr’s significance as an intermediary between the opera seria of the late eighteenth-century and the melodrama of the early-nineteenth is reflected in this important work, a unique kind of ‘cantata opera’ of which only the second act survives.
American Record Guide, March/April 2015
The brevity of Il Sogno is emphasized in the recording. It's a 10 ten numbers: 4 arias, a duet, 2 quartets, 3 choruses. It's a prime example of late Mayr. The eight-minute overture is a potpourri of engaging tunes beginning with a graceful tune, almost a waltz, accompanied with rhythmic emphasis from a big bass drum. Two quartets with chorus are musical high points. There is a nice freshness and enthusiasm in tenor Frey's Mercurio. There is an attractive allure in Brown's Partenope. Bass Burkhart's Tempo is sung with swift, precise coloratura. The darker tenor of Sellier is richly mellifluous. The Bavarian Opera chorus bursts into generous vocalism with 'Spunta lieto' and a truly grand finale. The orchestra keeps a good rhythmic beat to move the music along.
Recording information: Kongregationsaal, Neuberg an der Donau, Germany (09/03/2012-09/06/2012).
ReviewsThere are currently no reviews, be the first one!
Zdenek Fibich: Overtures - Comenius; A Night at Karlstejn Castle; The Jew of Prague; Ballet Music from Hedy / Czech Nat'l SO; etilec
John McCabe (b.1939): Composer, Pianist, Conductor - Symphony No. 1; Liszt Fantasy; et al. / John McCabe, piano; London PO; John Snashall. Nat'l Youth Orch. of Scotland; McCabe
Franz Ignaz Beck: Symphonies Op. 4, Nos. 4-6 & Op. 3, No. 5 / Czech Chamber SO Parbudice; Marek etilec
Chris Paul Harman (b.1970): After JSB-RS - Works for Keyboards and Percussion / Meiyee Foo, piano; Yoori Choi, Jin Hyung Lim, keyboards; Toca Loca Ensemble; McGill Percusion Ens.; Aiyun Huang
Peter Maxwell Davies: Beltane Fire & Choral Works / BBC PO; Maxwell Davies
Douglas Lilburn (1915-2001): String Quartet in E minor; Phantasy Quartet; Canzonettas; String Trio, etc. / New Zealand String Quartet
Ignaz Moscheles: Music for Flute & Piano - Sonate Concertante; Grande Sonata; Divertimento / Kazunori Seo, flute; Makoto Ueno, piano
Johann Baptist Vanhal (1739-1813): Keyboard Capricchios, Opp. 31 & 36 / Michael Tsalka, piano
Wind Band Classics - 'Point Blank': Works of Dooley, Danyew, Magnuson, McAllister & Higdon / Illinois State Univ. Wind Symphony; Belongia. Ben Stiers, percussion.
Works DetailsMayr, Simon : Il sogno di Partenope, opera
- Conductor: Franz Hauk
- Ensemble: Simon Mayr Chorus
- Notes: Kongregationsaal, Neuberg an der Donau, Germany (09/03/2012-09/06/2012)
- Running Time: 8 min. 1 sec.
- Period Time: Romantic
- Form: Opera/Operetta