- Messiaen — La nativité du Seigneur: I. La Vierge et l’enfant $0.99 on iTunes
- Messiaen — La nativité du Seigneur: II. Les bergers $0.99 on iTunes
- Messiaen — La nativité du Seigneur: III. Desseins éternels $0.99 on iTunes
- Messiaen — La nativité du Seigneur: IV. Le verbe
- Messiaen — La nativité du Seigneur: V. Les enfants de Dieu $0.99 on iTunes
- Messiaen — La nativité du Seigneur: VI. Les anges $0.99 on iTunes
- Messiaen — La nativité du Seigneur: VII. Jésus accepte la souffrance $0.99 on iTunes
- Messiaen — La nativité du Seigneur: VIII. Les mages $0.99 on iTunes
- Messiaen — La nativité du Seigneur: IX. Dieu parmi nous $0.99 on iTunes
- Tom Winpenny (Organ)
Notes & Reviews:
Before he was thirty, Olivier Messiaen had written the work that established his worldwide reputation as a visionary composer for the organ, La Nativité du Seigneur (The Birth of the Saviour). A synthesis of his innovatory compositional style, it is rich in colourful harmonies and precisely noted but flexible rhythms, many derived from Hindu tâlas and from the metre of Gregorian chant. This musical commentary on the Christmas story is divided into nine movements evoking timeless grace, beauty, radiance, exhilaration, and majesty. Tom Winpenny is Assistant Master of the Music at St Albans Cathedral, the oldest site of continuous Christian worship in Britain.
American Record Guide, November/December 2015
When La NativitT appeared in 1935, it established Messiaen as a truly visionary composer for the organ. Along with the earlier Ascension (1934-35), it remains one of the composer's more popular organ works. Especially notable is the ninth movement, 'Dieu parmi nous', which is often played separately. Winpenny plays on the 1962 Harrison & Harrison in St Albans Cathedral. It is closely miked, producing a very clear and direct sound.
Recording information: Cathedral & Abbey Church of St Alban, St Albans, UK (01/03/2014-01/04/2014).
ReviewsThere are currently no reviews, be the first one!
Heitor Villa-Lobos: Symphony No. 10 "Amerindia" / Leonardo Neiva, baritone; Saulo Javan, bass. Sao Paul SO & Chorus, Karabtchevsky
Messiaen: La Fauvette Passerinette World Première Recording / Peter Hill, piano
Debussy: Images; Préludes, Book II / Marc-André Hamelin, piano
Music for Remembrance - works by Duruflé, Vaughan Williams, Howells, Tavener, Moore / Choir of Westminster Abbey, Britten Sinfonia, James OAEDonnell
Courts of Heaven: Music from the Eton Choirbook, Vol. 3 - Music of Hampton, Turges, Fawkyner, Browne & Wylkynson / The Choir of Christ Church Cathedral, Oxford; Darlington
Fauré: Requiem; Cantique de Jean Racine; Messe Basse / Tom Pickard, treble; Gerald Finley, baritone. Stephen Cleobury
Thomas Tomkins: When David Heard - Sacred Choral Works / Choir of St. John's College, Cambridge; Nethsingha
Byrd: The Three Masses; Ave Verum Corpus / Choir of Westminster, Martin Baker
Canticles from St. Paul's Cathedral, London - works by Archer, Gray, Roth, Stanford, Tippett, Walmisley, Walton, Wood / Simon Johnson, organ
Works DetailsMessiaenOlivier : La Nativité du Seigneur, meditations (9) for organ, I/14
- Performer: Tom Winpenny (Organ)
- Notes: Cathedral & Abbey Church of St Alban, St Albans, UK (01/03/2014-01/04/2014)
- Running Time: 59 min. 2 sec.
- Period Time: Modern
- Written: 1935