Album Remarks & Appraisals:
Unreleased, original remastered concert recording! Available on CD or collectible 180-gram vinyl! Impresario Norman Granz had moved to Switzerland in 1959. He coordinated his "Jazz at the Philharmonic" tours from there, which at that time were very successful in Europe. In the following year, he even sent off two all-star casts under the slogan "Norman Granz's Jazz at the Philharmonic Presents Jazz Winners of 1960." The first cast was made up of Ella Fitzgerald, Roy Eldridge, the Jimmy Giuffre Trio, and the Shelly Manne Quintet, while the second cast brought together the Miles Davis Quintet, the Oscar Peterson Trio, and the Stan Getz Quartet.
At Dusseldorf's Rheinhalle theater, Stan Getz was on stage with his own quartet. The playbill announced the saxophonist's Scandinavian band; however, prior to the tour he had dismissed several of its members and so the cast instead included Ray Brown and Ed Thigpen, two fellow Americans. Approximately nine months after the concert in Dusseldorf, the expatriate made his comeback in the U.S. and shortly afterwards became world renowned not only among jazz enthusiasts but also with a much wider audience, thanks to the growing popularity of bossa nova music.
Personnel: Stan Getz (tenor saxophone); Jan Johansson (piano); Ed Thigpen (drums).
Liner Note Author: Karsten Mützelfeldt.
Recording information: Düsseldorf, Germany (03/28/1960).
Photographer: Ullstein Bild.
ReviewsThere are currently no reviews, be the first one!
- In France (Farrell, Joe)
- Jazz Giants '58 [Bonus Tracks] (Peterson, Oscar)
- Stan Getz and J.J. Johnson at the Opera House (Johnson, J.J. (Trombone))
- People Time: The Complete Recordings [Box] (Barron, Kenny)
- Getz/Gilberto 50 [Bonus Track] (Gilberto, Joao)
- Getz/Gilberto +50 (Gilberto, Joao)
- Take a Chorus Minus B-Flat (Raney, Jimmy)
- Live in Chicago 1988 (Johnson, J.J. (Trombone))
- Getz/Gilberto '76 [Digipak] (Gilberto, Joao)