- Holbrooke — Clarinet Quintet No. 2 in G Minor, Op. 27 "Ligeia": I. Maestoso - Molto allegro
- Holbrooke — Clarinet Quintet No. 2 in G Minor, Op. 27 "Ligeia": II. Canzonet. Andante affetuoso $0.99 on iTunes
- Holbrooke — Clarinet Quintet No. 2 in G Minor, Op. 27 "Ligeia": III. Poco vivace (1910 Version) $0.99 on iTunes
- Holbrooke — Cyrene, Op. 88b $0.99 on iTunes
- Holbrooke — Phryne, Op. 98b $0.99 on iTunes
- Holbrooke — Cavatina and Variations, Op. 15b "Clarinet Quintet No. 1"
- Holbrooke — Nocturne, Op. 57 "Fairyland"
- Holbrooke — Eilean Shona, Op. 74 $0.99 on iTunes
- Holbrooke — Clarinet Quintet No. 2 in G Minor, Op. 27 "Ligeia": III. Poco vivace (1939 Version) $0.99 on iTunes
Notes & Reviews:
BBC Music Magazine, Awards Issue 2015
Throughout the disc, Robert Plane proves a sensitive and engaging advocate for the music, and he's well supported by a team of seasoned chamber musicians and an intimate recording.
After the London premiere of the symphonic poem The Raven the critics sang ecstatic hymns of praise to a work luxuriating in unique orchestral colors and to its young composer Josef Holbrooke (1878-1958). This breakthrough brought him renown as an innovative and original contemporary composer, one obliged to the musical language of the late 19th c. with its primacy of expressive elements and constant quest for new tonal effects amidst rich and refined coloring. Both programmatic and impressionistic, this nine-work Holbrooke chamber music overview features three first recordings.
The Guardian, 29th January 2015
As this collection of his chamber works with clarinet - immaculately performed by Robert Plane and colleagues - shows, the main influence on [Holbrooke's] fundamentally late-romantic style was Brahms rather than Wagner.
American Record Guide, July/August 2015
The performers play with wonderful sincerity. Plane plays with a decidedly British sound that is cloudy and spread. His collaborators are solid. This music is worth the discovery.
ReviewsThere are currently no reviews, be the first one!
Georg Schumann (1866-1952): Piano Quartet; Cello Sonata / Munich Piano Trio; Dietrich Cramer, viola
Aulis Sallinen (b.1935): Piano Trio, Op. 96; Cello Sonata, Op. 86; From A Swan Song, Op. 67 / Elina Vahala, violin; Arto Noras, cello; Ralf Gothoni, piano
E.T.A. Hoffmann (1776-1822): Symphony in E flat major; Overtures to Undine and Aurora; Friedrich Witt: Sinfonia in A / Cologne Academy, Willens
Peter Sculthorpe (1929-2014): The Complete Sting Quartets with Didjeridu / Stephen Kent, Didjeridu; Del Sol Quartet
Edition RadioMusiken Vol. 2: Suites & Overtures for the Radio - works by Schreker, Toch, Spoliansky, Braunfels, Spoliansky / Dresden State Opera Orch.
20th century British Music for Cello and Piano by William Wordsworth, Josef Holbrooke; William Busch / Raphael Wallfisch, cello; Raphael Terroni, piano
Paul Graener (1872-1948): Orchestral Works, Vol. 3 - Piano Concerto, Op. 72; Sinfonetta, Op. 27; Divertimento Op. 67 et al. / Oliver Triendl, piano
Kurt Atterberg & Ture Rangstrom: String Quartets / Stenhammar Quartet
Friedrich Kalkbrenner (1785-1849): Sextet, Op. 58; Septet, Op. 132; Piano Fantasy, Op. 60 / Linos Ens.