Down Beat (p.80) - 4.5 stars out of 5 -- "[Featuring] Farmer's ravishing, full-bodied tone, attention to melodic detail, and rhythmic assurance..."
Recorded less than a year after Duke Ellington's death, this Inner City LP (originally cut for the Japanese East Wind label) features flugelhornist Art Farmer performing five Ellington pieces along with Billy Strayhorn's "Lush Life." With impeccable support by pianist Cedar Walton, bassist Sam Jones and drummer Billy Higgins, Farmer sounds melodic, lyrical, swinging and typically inventive on such numbers as "In a Sentimental Mood," "It Don't Mean a Thing," "The Brown Skin Gal" and "Love You Madly." This tasteful set (which is long out-of-print) features Art Farmer at his best. ~ Scott Yanow
ReviewsThere are currently no reviews, be the first one!
- Complete Studio Recordings (McKusick, Hal)
- Three Trumpets (Byrd, Donald)
- In Stockholm & Hollywood 1959 (Mulligan, Gerry)
- Swiss Radio Days Jazz Live Trio Concert Series, Vo (Jordan, Clifford)
- Art Farmer Quintet Featuring Gigi Gryce (Gryce, Gigi)
- Complete Jam Sessions [Bonus Tracks] [Remastered] (Ammons, Gene)
- On Line (Raiff, Guy)
- Live in Genoa 1981 (Konitz, Lee)