- When Rosy May Comes In wi Flowers $0.99 on iTunes
- O That I Had Ne’er Been Married $0.99 on iTunes
- Wee Willie Gray $0.99 on iTunes
- Brose and Butter $0.99 on iTunes
- The Wintry West Extends His Blast $0.99 on iTunes
- Sweet Afton $0.99 on iTunes
- Duncan Gray $0.99 on iTunes
- The Winter It Is Past $0.99 on iTunes
- Gudeen to You Kimmer $0.99 on iTunes
- Kellyburn Braes $0.99 on iTunes
- O Aa the Airts the Wind Can Blaw $0.99 on iTunes
- What Can a Young Lassie Do wi an Auld Man $0.99 on iTunes
- Ay Waukin, O $0.99 on iTunes
- O, Steer Her Up an Haud Her Gaun $0.99 on iTunes
- The Cooper o Cuddy $0.99 on iTunes
- O, Rattlin, Roarin Willie $0.99 on iTunes
- Lady Mary Ann $0.99 on iTunes
- The Lea-Rigg $0.99 on iTunes
- Yestreen I Had a Pint o Wine $0.99 on iTunes
Album Remarks & Appraisals:
The twelve volumes which comprise The Complete Songs of Robert Burns remain the benchmark of all Burns songs recordings. Released to coincide with the worldwide Burns Night celebrations, this is the first volume in the ground breaking series which took seven years to complete and involved over 80 singers and instrumentalists. This unsurpassed collection was collated by Burns specialist Dr Fred Freeman, who worked in the fluid tradition of folk music with the players and singers to bring the timeless poetry of the Bard vividly to life. The Telegraph described the series as 'a marvellous tribute to the man who gave the anonymous feelings of Scots folk song a sharp, poignant individuality, and by doing so made them the whole world's possession.' Encompassing ballads and bawdy songs, patriotic and political anthems plus songs which bring Scottish places and people to life, this collection of songs touches on all aspects of human nature and is a true representation of a vigorous folk tradition past and present. The performance practice essential to the authentic performance of Burns is evident: singers, like Tony Cuffe and Billy Ross, and fiddlers, like John Martin and Johnnie Cunningham, perform with light, clear articulation, whilst singers, like Rod Paterson, display admirable 'restraint' and almost 'non-existent' vibrato. Each musician here shares Burns' commitment to communication and expression creating both a lasting tribute to the man and to the contemporary folk movement in Scotland. Featured musicians include members of Battlefield Band, Old Blind Dogs, Ossian, Jock Tamson's Bairns and many more.
Full title: The Complete Songs Of Robert Burns: Volume I.
Liner Note Author: Fred Freeman.
Recording information: Castla Cava, Pencaitland, Scotland (10/1995).
Arranger: Fred Freeman.
ReviewsThere are currently no reviews, be the first one!
Scriabin: The Complete Etudes / Piers Lane, piano
Scriabin: The Complete Préludes for Piano, Vol. 2 / Piers Lane, piano
Scriabin: The Complete Préludes for Piano, Vol. 1 / Piers Lane, piano
Scriabin: The Complete Piano Sonatas / Marc-André Hamelin
Mozart: Horn Concertos; Horn Quintet / Pip Eastop, natural horn; Eroica Quartet; The Hanover Band; Halstead
Tallis: 'Ave, Rosa Sine Spinis', Mass for four voices / The Cardinall's Musick; Carwood
20th century British Music for Cello and Piano by William Wordsworth, Josef Holbrooke; William Busch / Raphael Wallfisch, cello; Raphael Terroni, piano
J.S. Bach: The Well-Tempered Clavier Book 2 (24 preludes & fugues) / Luc Beauséjour, harpsichord
Stanford: Piano Trio No. 2; Piano Quartet No. 1 / Gould Piano Trio, David Adams, viola