1 800 222 6872

Beethoven, Period. Complete sonatas and variations for cello and piano on period instruments / Matt Haimovitz, Violoncello; Christopher O'Riley, fortepiano

Album Summary

>Beethoven, Ludwig van : Sonata for Cello and Piano no 1 in F major, Op. 5 no 1
>Beethoven, Ludwig van : Variations for cello & piano in F major on Mozart's "Ein Mädchen oder Weibchen," Op. 66
>Beethoven, Ludwig van : Sonata for Cello and Piano no 2 in G minor, Op. 5 no 2
>Beethoven, Ludwig van : Variations (12) for Cello and Piano in G major on a Theme by Handel, WoO 45
>Beethoven, Ludwig van : Sonata for Cello and Piano no 3 in A major, Op. 69
>Beethoven, Ludwig van : Variations (7) for Cello and Piano on Mozart's "Bei Männern", WoO 46
>Beethoven, Ludwig van : Sonata for Cello and Piano no 4 in C major, Op. 102 no 1
>Beethoven, Ludwig van : Sonata for Cello and Piano no 5 in D major, Op. 102 no 2
Performers Composer

Notes & Reviews:

Having shared ideas and projects for some time, Pentatone and Oxingale Records have joined forces in order to release their first joint issue in the Pentatone-Oxingale series of recordings: Beethoven, Period. This release features the complete sonatas and variations for fortepiano and violoncello, recorded on period instruments. Cellist Matt Haimovitz plays his own 1710 Gottfriller cello, crafted in Venice and outfitted with ox-gut strings, also from Italy, an early 19th c. rosewood tailpiece and a Dominique Peccatte bow from the same era, while his partner Christopher O'Riley plays an original 1823 Broadwood piano.

International Record Review, March 2015
Haimovitz and O'Riley are intelligent and sympathetic of these sonatas, and also of the three shorter sets of variations.



Reviews

There are currently no reviews, be the first one!
Login or Create an Account to write a review

Works Details

>Beethoven, Ludwig van : Sonata for Cello and Piano no 1 in F major, Op. 5 no 1
  • Performers: Matt Haimovitz (Cello); Christopher O'Riley (Piano)
  • Notes: Composition written: 1796.
  • Running Time: 9 min. 21 sec.
  • Period Time: Classical
  • Written: 1796

>Beethoven, Ludwig van : Variations for cello & piano in F major on Mozart's "Ein Mädchen oder Weibchen," Op. 66
  • Performers: Matt Haimovitz (Cello); Christopher O'Riley (Piano)
  • Running Time: 9 min. 57 sec.
  • Period Time: Classical
  • Written: 1796

>Beethoven, Ludwig van : Sonata for Cello and Piano no 2 in G minor, Op. 5 no 2
  • Performers: Matt Haimovitz (Cello); Christopher O'Riley (Piano)
  • Running Time: 13 min. 34 sec.
  • Period Time: Classical
  • Written: 1796

>Beethoven, Ludwig van : Variations (12) for Cello and Piano in G major on a Theme by Handel, WoO 45
  • Performers: Matt Haimovitz (Cello); Christopher O'Riley (Piano)
  • Running Time: 11 min. 27 sec.
  • Period Time: Classical
  • Written: 1796

>Beethoven, Ludwig van : Sonata for Cello and Piano no 3 in A major, Op. 69
  • Performers: Matt Haimovitz (Cello); Christopher O'Riley (Piano)
  • Running Time: 17 min. 59 sec.
  • Period Time: Classical
  • Written: 1807-1808

>Beethoven, Ludwig van : Variations (7) for Cello and Piano on Mozart's "Bei Männern", WoO 46
  • Performers: Matt Haimovitz (Cello); Christopher O'Riley (Piano)
  • Running Time: 9 min. 6 sec.
  • Period Time: Classical
  • Written: 1801

>Beethoven, Ludwig van : Sonata for Cello and Piano no 4 in C major, Op. 102 no 1
  • Performers: Matt Haimovitz (Cello); Christopher O'Riley (Piano)
  • Running Time: 2 min. 17 sec.
  • Period Time: Classical
  • Written: 1815

>Beethoven, Ludwig van : Sonata for Cello and Piano no 5 in D major, Op. 102 no 2
  • Performers: Matt Haimovitz (Cello); Christopher O'Riley (Piano)
  • Running Time: 18 min. 53 sec.
  • Period Time: Classical
  • Written: 1815