- Roman Lyulkin (Voice)
- Mikhail Latyshev (Voice)
- Marina Aleshonkova (Voice)
- Alexander Gerasimov (Voice)
- Vladimir Zhivopistsev (Tenor)
- Maria Maksakova (Mezzo Soprano)
- Andrei Popov (Tenor)
- Edouard Tsanga (Voice)
- Dmitry Koleushko (Voice)
- Vladimir Moroz (Voice)
- Kristina Alieva (Voice)
- Anton Perminov (Voice)
- Andrei Spekhov (Voice)
- Yekaterina Krapivina (Voice)
- Yekaterina Goncharova (Voice)
- Vyacheslav Lukhanin (Voice)
- Varvara Solovyova (Voice)
- Alexander Timchenko (Voice)
Notes & Reviews:
Specially written for Gergiev on the occasion of his 60th birthday, Rodion Shchedrin's The Left-Hander is a comedy of Russians and Englishmen, new technology, old traditions and strong drink. The Mariinsky Opera gave the work its premiere in St Petersburg in July 2013. One of music's greatest living humorists, Rodion Shchedrin's work is laced with pitch-black irony and deadpan wit. Based on Nikolai Leskov's classical satirical novella of 1881, The Tale of Cross-Eyed Lefty From Tula and the Steel Flea, The Left-Hander is a wry exploration of Russia's relationship with the West in general and England in particular.
American Record Guide, July/August 2015
This opera by the Russian composer Rodion Shchedrin was commissioned by the Mariinsky Theatre and apparently had its premiere shortly before this recording in 2013. The story is based on a well-known (according to the booklet) story by Nikolai Leshov. It is creative left-handed artisan who rises to prominence in Czarist Russia because of his ingenuity. He creates and constructs an addition to a tiny British sculpture of a flea and accompanies his work to England.
Recording information: Mariinsky-II, St Petersburg, Russia (07/27/2013-07/28/2013).
ReviewsThere are currently no reviews, be the first one!
Wagner: Die Walküre / Meier, Schnaut, Fujimura, Seiffert, Tomlinson, Rydl; Bavarian State Orchestra; Mehta [Blu-Ray Audio]
Monteverdi: Scherzi Musicali / Maria Cristina Kiehr, soprano; Stephan MacLeod, bass-baritone; Concerto Soave; Aymes
Rococo:' Works for Cello & Orchestra, by C.P.E. Bach, Tchaikovsky & Stravisnky / Pieter Wispelwey, cello; Music Collegium Winterthur; Morton
José van Dam: Autograph - Songs of Berlioz, Saint-Saëns, Gounod, Massenet, Ravel, Ibert, Poulenc, Martin et al. / José van Dam, bass-baritone; Various Artists [10 CD]
Vivaldi: The 4 Seasons / Australian Chamber Orchestra; Tognetti
In the Midst of Life: Music from the Baldwin Partbooks, Vol. 1 - choral works by Byrd, Tallis, Taverner, Sheppard / Contrapunctus
Myra Melford: Snowy Egret [Digipak] *
Various Artists: Yemen: Traditional Music of the North
Various Artists: Ivory Coast: A Funerary Vigil
Works DetailsShchedrin, Rodion : The Left-Hander (Levsha), opera
- Performers: Roman Lyulkin (Voice); Mikhail Latyshev (Voice); Marina Aleshonkova (Voice); Alexander Gerasimov (Voice); Vladimir Zhivopistsev (Tenor); Maria Maksakova (Mezzo Soprano); Andrei Popov (Tenor); Edouard Tsanga (Voice); Dmitry Koleushko (Voice); Vladimir Moroz (Voice); Kristina Alieva (Voice); Anton Perminov (Voice); Andrei Spekhov (Voice); Yekaterina Krapivina (Voice); Yekaterina Goncharova (Voice); Vyacheslav Lukhanin (Voice); Varvara Solovyova (Voice); Alexander Timchenko (Voice)
- Conductor: Valery Gergiev
- Ensemble: Mariinsky Orchestra
- Notes: Mariinsky-II, St Petersburg, Russia (07/27/2013-07/28/2013)
- Running Time: 3 min. 24 sec.
- Period Time: Contemporary
- Form: Opera/Operetta