- Mahler — Symphony No. 2 in C Minor "Resurrection": I. Allegro maestoso
- Mahler — Symphony No. 2 in C Minor "Resurrection": II. Andante moderato
- Mahler — Symphony No. 2 in C Minor "Resurrection": III. In ruhig fliessender Bewegung
- Mahler — Symphony No. 2 in C Minor "Resurrection": IV. Urlicht. Sehr feierlich, aber schlicht $0.99 on iTunes
- Mahler — Symphony No. 2 in C Minor "Resurrection": V. Finale. Im Tempo des Scherzos
Notes & Reviews:
In 1888 Gustav Mahler composed a tone-poem called Totenfeier (Funeral Rites). This became the foundation for and the first movement of what would later be his Symphony #2. As the complexity of this work grew, (it wasn't finished until sometime in 1894), it would eventually be known as the "Resurrection" Symphony, after the "moment of clarity" and inspiration he experienced at the funeral of Hans von Bulow, his friend and conducting mentor. This massive musical composition containing five movements uses a full chorus, soprano and alto soloists, and a featured alto solo voice essential to the work's fourth movement. First published in 1897, it was not heard until the premiere in 1901. The final revisions by the hand of Mahler himself were not realized into the orchestra score and parts until 1910. Nearly 100 hundred years later the Gustav Mahler Society produced a new critical edition of the Second Symphony as a joint venture between the well-known Universal Edition and the Kaplan Foundation. Internationally renowned conductor Gerard Schwartz leads the Royal Philharmonic in this live performance of Mahler's "Resurrection" that features soprano Ailish Tynan and mezzo-soprano Catherine Wyn-Rogers.
ReviewsThere are currently no reviews, be the first one!
Grieg: Piano Concerto In A Minor, Peer Gynt Suites Nos. 1 & 2
Schubert: 'Fantasie' - Late Piano Works / David Fray, piano
Felix Woyrsch (1860-1944): Symphony No. 3; Drei Böcklin-Phantasien / Thomas Dorsh
English Hymn Anthems: Works by Vaughan Williams, Stanford, Parry, Dyson et al. / Choir of King's College, Cambridge; Stephen Cleobury
Licorice Rhapsody: Works for 12 Clarinets, by Gershwin, Bernstein, Gene Pritsker et al. / NY Licorice Ensemble
La Clarinette Francaise: Works of Poulenc, Saint-Saëns, Debussy, Bloch, Pierné & Milhaud / Lisa Shklyaver, clarinet; Jos Van Immerseel, piano
Franz Schubert: Hungarian Melody, D 817; Sonata D 894; Moments musicaux D 780; Alegretto D 915; Impromptus D 935; Sonata D 960 / Andras Schiff, fortepiano
Atonement: Chamber Works of Jennifer Higdon, Kieren MacMillan, Evan Chambers & Kenji Bunch / Lindsay Kesselman, soprano; Kimberly Luevano, clarinet; Midori Koga, piano
Arvo Pärt: Te Deum / Bavarian Radio Choir; Munich RSO; Dijkstra
Works DetailsMahler, Gustav : Symphony no 2 in C minor "Resurrection"
- Performers: Ailish Tynan (Soprano); Catherine Wyn-Rogers (Alto)
- Conductor: Gerard Schwarz
- Ensemble: Royal Liverpool Philharmonic
- Running Time: 80 min. 37 sec.
- Period Time: Post Romantic
- Form: Orchestral
- Written: 1888-1894