1 800 222 6872

Flow: Jazz and Renaissance - From Italy to Brazil - works by Dowland, Gershwin, Miles Davis, Monteverdi, Monk, Merula et al. / Hugo Siegmeth, saxophones; Alex Wolf, lute & theorbo

Album Summary

>Dowland, John [Composer] : Flow, my tears, fall from your springs, for 2 voices & lute (Second Book of Songs)
>Jobim, Antonio Carlos : Garota de Ipanema, song (a.k.a. "The Girl from Ipanema")
>Salaverde, Bartolome de Selma y : Canzona terza (Canzoni, fantasie et correnti no 3)
>Dowland, John [Composer] : Mourn, mourn, day is with darkness fled, for 2 voices & lute (Second Book of Songs)
>Harris, Benny [Trumpet] : Ornithology
>Merula, Tarquinio : Chiacona (Ciacona), for 2 treble instruments & continuo (from Canzoni overo sonate ..., 1637)
>Monteverdi, Claudio : Lasciatemi morire "Lamento d'Arianna a 1"
>Bassano, Giovanni : Oncques amour, dimunitions for virginal & zink (after Crecquillon)
>Dowland, John [Composer] : In darkness let me dwell, for voice, lute & bass viol (A Musicall Banquet)
>Gershwin, George : Porgy and Bess
>Merula, Tarquinio : Canzonetta spirituale sopra "Alla Nanna" (Curtio Precipitato et altri Capricii composti in diversi
Performers Composers

Notes & Reviews:

The lutenist Axel Wolf and the saxophonist Hugo Siegmeth - who join forces here - are two musicians with roots in completely different musical disciplines. A virtuoso on the lute and theorbo, Axel Wolf specializes in the Renaissance and Baroque periods, whereas Hugo Siegmeth, saxophonist and composer, is an expert on modern jazz and contemporary music. Although several centuries lie between the heydays of both musical styles, with 'Flow', these two musicians both place special focus on improvisation: involvement in the surprising moment and spontaneous interaction.

Notes & Reviews:

Recording information: Realistic Sound Studio, München (09/15/2014-09/19/2014).

Includes desafinado (a. jobim) / toccata arpeggiata (j.h. k by various composers.

Includes improvviso (a. wolf) / round midnight (t. monk) by various composers.

Includes toccata (g. frescobaldi) / budo (m. davis) by various composers.



Reviews

There are currently no reviews, be the first one!
Login or Create an Account to write a review

Works Details

>Dowland, John [Composer] : Flow, my tears, fall from your springs, for 2 voices & lute (Second Book of Songs)
  • Performers: Hugo Siegmeth; Axel Wolf (Lute); Axel Wolf (Theorbo)
  • Running Time: 5 min. 3 sec.
  • Period Time: Renaissance
  • Written: by 1600

>Jobim, Antonio Carlos : Garota de Ipanema, song (a.k.a. "The Girl from Ipanema")
  • Performers: Hugo Siegmeth; Axel Wolf (Lute); Axel Wolf (Theorbo)
  • Running Time: 2 min. 49 sec.
  • Period Time: Modern
  • Form: Vocal

>Salaverde, Bartolome de Selma y : Canzona terza (Canzoni, fantasie et correnti no 3)
  • Performers: Hugo Siegmeth; Axel Wolf (Lute); Axel Wolf (Theorbo)
  • Running Time: 6 min. 13 sec.
  • Period Time: Baroque

>Dowland, John [Composer] : Mourn, mourn, day is with darkness fled, for 2 voices & lute (Second Book of Songs)
  • Performers: Hugo Siegmeth; Axel Wolf (Lute); Axel Wolf (Theorbo)
  • Running Time: 3 min. 46 sec.
  • Period Time: Renaissance
  • Written: 1600

>Harris, Benny [Trumpet] : Ornithology
  • Performers: Hugo Siegmeth; Axel Wolf (Lute); Axel Wolf (Theorbo)
  • Notes: This work was written in collaboration with Charlie Parker (Sax) (1920 - 1955).
  • Running Time: 3 min. 56 sec.
  • Period Time: Modern

>Merula, Tarquinio : Chiacona (Ciacona), for 2 treble instruments & continuo (from Canzoni overo sonate ..., 1637)
  • Performers: Hugo Siegmeth; Axel Wolf (Lute); Axel Wolf (Theorbo)
  • Running Time: 3 min. 51 sec.
  • Period Time: Baroque

>Monteverdi, Claudio : Lasciatemi morire "Lamento d'Arianna a 1"
  • Performers: Hugo Siegmeth; Axel Wolf (Lute); Axel Wolf (Theorbo)
  • Running Time: 4 min. 50 sec.
  • Period Time: Baroque
  • Form: Vocal
  • Written: 1608

>Bassano, Giovanni : Oncques amour, dimunitions for virginal & zink (after Crecquillon)
  • Performers: Hugo Siegmeth; Axel Wolf (Lute); Axel Wolf (Theorbo)
  • Running Time: 3 min. 29 sec.
  • Period Time: Renaissance

>Dowland, John [Composer] : In darkness let me dwell, for voice, lute & bass viol (A Musicall Banquet)
  • Performers: Hugo Siegmeth; Axel Wolf (Lute); Axel Wolf (Theorbo)
  • Running Time: 3 min. 52 sec.
  • Period Time: Renaissance
  • Written: 1610

>Gershwin, George : Porgy and Bess
  • Performers: Hugo Siegmeth; Axel Wolf (Lute); Axel Wolf (Theorbo)
  • Running Time: 5 min. 29 sec.
  • Period Time: Modern
  • Written: 1935

>Merula, Tarquinio : Canzonetta spirituale sopra "Alla Nanna" (Curtio Precipitato et altri Capricii composti in diversi
  • Performers: Hugo Siegmeth; Axel Wolf (Lute); Axel Wolf (Theorbo)
  • Running Time: 3 min. 54 sec.
  • Period Time: Baroque