1 800 222 6872

Giovanni Battista Bassani (c.1650-1716): Armonici Entusiasmi di Davide / Collegium Nova Ars Cantandi; Acciai

Album Summary

>Bassani, Giovanni Battista : Domine, ad adjuvandum me festina (Psalmus 69
>Bassani, Giovanni Battista : Dixit Dominus Domino meo (Psalmus 109), for 4 voices, 2 violins & basso continuo (from "Armonici Ent
>Bassani, Giovanni Battista : Confitebor tibi Domine (Psalmus 110), for 2 voices, 2 violins & basso continuo (from "Armonici Entus
>Bassani, Giovanni Battista : Beatus vir qui timet Dominum (Psalmus 111), for soprano, alto, tenor, bass, 2 violins & basso contin
>Bassani, Giovanni Battista : Laudate pueri Dominum (Psalmus 110), for 3 voices, 2 violins & basso continuo (from "Armonici Entusi
>Bassani, Giovanni Battista : Laudate Dominum omnes gentes (Psalmus 116), for 4 voices, 2 violins & basso continuo (from "Armonici
>Bassani, Giovanni Battista : Lætatus sum (Psalmus 121), for 3 voices, 2 violins & basso continuo (from "Armonici Entusiasmi di Da
>Bassani, Giovanni Battista : Nisi Dominus (Psalmus 126), for 3 voices, 2 violins & basso continuo (from "Armonici Entusiasmi di D
>Bassani, Giovanni Battista : Lauda Jerusalem Dominum (Psalmus 147), for soprano, alto, tenor, bass, 2 violins & basso continuo (f
>Bassani, Giovanni Battista : Magnificat anima mea Dominum (Canticum B. M. Virginis), for 4 voices, 2 violins & basso continuo (fr
>Bassani, Giovanni Battista : Litaniæ Beatæ Virginis Mariæ, for 4 voices, 2 violins & basso continuo (from "Armonici Entusiasmi di
Conductor Ensembles Composer

Notes & Reviews:

Too little is known about the life of Giovanni Battista Bassani, composer of great importance in thehistory of the end of the seventeenth century, almost ignored by posterity and recent studies. The rediscovery of his work brings to light the work of a very talented musician with great compositional abilities. A great contrapuntist, yet brilliant creator of catchy melodies and surprising rhythmicsolutions. His Opera IX presented in this publication, and printed in Venice in 1690 with the title"Armonici Entuisiasmi di Davide", is a collection (nine psalms, a Magnificat and the Litany of theBlessed Virgin) to be used during the rites of Vespers in the various moments of the liturgical year. Thanks to the performance by Ensemble Ars Nova Cantandi directed by Giovanni Acciai, one of the leading specialists of the music of this period, here Bassani's musical imagination and ability finally emerges.

American Record Guide, November/December 2015
Ensemble founder and director Giovanni Acciai leads these very fine performances, using the edition that he prepared himself. Four male soloists (SSTB), two solo violinists, and a continuo group (organ, chittarone, and cello) combine to present this imaginative and attractive music in a most engaging way. The beautiful flow and color in the voices in the opening 'Domine, Ad Adjuvandum Me Festina' at a walking-pace tempo sets the tone for the whole program.

Contrasts in the pieces supply opportunities for the Nova Ars Cantandi ensemble to excel: for example, in the three-part 'Laetatus Sum' there's a lovely elegance in the interplay between the pairs of canto voices and violins, balanced by sections for bass solo. Ringing peals in countertenor melodies, "bravura" arias for bass, and fervent urgency in the 'Magnificat' tenor part (with animated organ accompaniment) all exemplify the high quality of both Bassani's music and these interpretations. First recording. Notes, Latin texts on label website.

Notes & Reviews:

Recording information: Chiesa del Seminario Vescovile di Pordenone (11/2013).



Reviews

There are currently no reviews, be the first one!
Login or Create an Account to write a review
 

Also Purchased

Works Details

>Bassani, Giovanni Battista : Domine, ad adjuvandum me festina (Psalmus 69 :: 2) for 2 voices, 2 violins & basso continuo (from "Armo
  • Conductor: Giovanni Acciai
  • Ensemble: Nova Ars Cantandi, Collegium Vocale et Instrumentale
  • Running Time: 5 min. 34 sec.
  • Period Time: Baroque

>Bassani, Giovanni Battista : Dixit Dominus Domino meo (Psalmus 109), for 4 voices, 2 violins & basso continuo (from "Armonici Ent
  • Conductor: Giovanni Acciai
  • Running Time: 12 min. 36 sec.
  • Period Time: Baroque

>Bassani, Giovanni Battista : Confitebor tibi Domine (Psalmus 110), for 2 voices, 2 violins & basso continuo (from "Armonici Entus
  • Conductor: Giovanni Acciai
  • Running Time: 17 min. 12 sec.
  • Period Time: Baroque

>Bassani, Giovanni Battista : Beatus vir qui timet Dominum (Psalmus 111), for soprano, alto, tenor, bass, 2 violins & basso contin
  • Conductor: Giovanni Acciai
  • Running Time: 7 min. 47 sec.
  • Period Time: Baroque

>Bassani, Giovanni Battista : Laudate pueri Dominum (Psalmus 110), for 3 voices, 2 violins & basso continuo (from "Armonici Entusi
  • Conductor: Giovanni Acciai
  • Running Time: 10 min. 33 sec.
  • Period Time: Baroque

>Bassani, Giovanni Battista : Laudate Dominum omnes gentes (Psalmus 116), for 4 voices, 2 violins & basso continuo (from "Armonici
  • Conductor: Giovanni Acciai
  • Running Time: 4 min. 8 sec.
  • Period Time: Baroque

>Bassani, Giovanni Battista : Lætatus sum (Psalmus 121), for 3 voices, 2 violins & basso continuo (from "Armonici Entusiasmi di Da
  • Conductor: Giovanni Acciai
  • Running Time: 9 min. 33 sec.
  • Period Time: Baroque

>Bassani, Giovanni Battista : Nisi Dominus (Psalmus 126), for 3 voices, 2 violins & basso continuo (from "Armonici Entusiasmi di D
  • Conductor: Giovanni Acciai
  • Running Time: 11 min. 24 sec.
  • Period Time: Baroque

>Bassani, Giovanni Battista : Lauda Jerusalem Dominum (Psalmus 147), for soprano, alto, tenor, bass, 2 violins & basso continuo (f
  • Conductor: Giovanni Acciai
  • Running Time: 5 min. 5 sec.
  • Period Time: Baroque

>Bassani, Giovanni Battista : Magnificat anima mea Dominum (Canticum B. M. Virginis), for 4 voices, 2 violins & basso continuo (fr
  • Conductor: Giovanni Acciai
  • Running Time: 21 min. 38 sec.
  • Period Time: Baroque

>Bassani, Giovanni Battista : Litaniæ Beatæ Virginis Mariæ, for 4 voices, 2 violins & basso continuo (from "Armonici Entusiasmi di
  • Conductor: Giovanni Acciai
  • Running Time: 6 min. 48 sec.
  • Period Time: Baroque