1 800 222 6872

Richard Strauss: A Life in Song (Ein Leben in Liedern) / Timothy Sharp, baritone; Jan Roelof Wolthuis, piano

Audio Samples

  1. R. Strauss — 8 Gedichte aus "Letzte Blätter", Op. 10, TrV 141: No. 2, Nichts $0.99 on iTunes
  2. R. Strauss — 4 Lieder, Op. 36, TrV 186: No. 2, Für fünfzehn Pfennige $0.99 on iTunes
  3. R. Strauss — Schlichte Weisen, Op. 21, TrV 160: No. 2, Du meines Herzens Krönelein $0.99 on iTunes
  4. R. Strauss — 6 Lieder aus "Lotosblätter", Op. 19, TrV 152: No. 4, Wie sollten wir geheim sie halten $0.99 on iTunes
  5. R. Strauss — Schlichte Weisen, Op. 21, TrV 160: No. 4, Ach weh mir unglückhaftem Mann $0.99 on iTunes
  6. R. Strauss — 3 Lieder, Op. 29, TrV 172: No. 1, Traum durch die Dämmerung $0.99 on iTunes
  7. R. Strauss — 5 Lieder, Op. 32, TrV 174: No. 5, Himmelsboten $0.99 on iTunes
  8. R. Strauss — 5 Lieder, Op. 48, TrV 202: No. 1, Freundliche Vision $0.99 on iTunes
  9. R. Strauss — 6 Lieder, Op. 17, TrV 149: No. 2, Ständchen $0.99 on iTunes
  10. R. Strauss — 6 Lieder aus "Lotosblätter", Op. 19, TrV 152: No. 1, Wozu noch, Mädchen $0.99 on iTunes
  11. R. Strauss — 4 Lieder, Op. 27, TrV 170: No. 4, Morgen $0.99 on iTunes
  12. R. Strauss — 4 Lieder, Op. 27, TrV 170: No. 2, Cäcilie $0.99 on iTunes
  13. R. Strauss — 5 Lieder, Op. 32, TrV 174: No. 3, Liebeshymnus $0.99 on iTunes
  14. R. Strauss — 6 Lieder, Op. 56, TrV 220: No. 1, Gefunden $0.99 on iTunes
  15. R. Strauss — 8 Gedichte aus "Letzte Blätter", Op. 10, TrV 141: No. 1, Zueignung $0.99 on iTunes
  16. R. Strauss — 5 Lieder, Op. 15, TrV 148: No. 5, Heimkehr $0.99 on iTunes
  17. R. Strauss — 4 Lieder, Op. 27, TrV 170: No. 3, Heimliche Aufforderung $0.99 on iTunes
  18. R. Strauss — 3 Lieder, Op. 29, TrV 172: No. 3, Nachtgang $0.99 on iTunes
  19. R. Strauss — 8 Gedichte aus "Letzte Blätter", Op. 10, TrV 141: No. 3, Die Nacht $0.99 on iTunes
  20. R. Strauss — 5 Lieder, Op. 39, TrV 189: No. 4, Befreit $0.99 on iTunes
  21. R. Strauss — 8 Gedichte aus "Letzte Blätter", Op. 10, TrV 141: No. 8, Allerseelen $0.99 on iTunes
  22. R. Strauss — 4 Lieder, Op. 87: No. 1, Vom künftigen Alter, TrV 260 $0.99 on iTunes
  23. R. Strauss — 4 Lieder, Op. 87: No. 4, Im Sonnenschein, TrV 268 $0.99 on iTunes

Album Summary

>Strauss, Richard : Lieder (8), Op. 10
>Strauss, Richard : Für fünfzehn Pfennige ("Das Mägdlein will ein' Freier hab'n"), song for voice & piano, Op. 36/2 (TrV
>Strauss, Richard : Du meines Herzens Krönelein, song for voice & piano, Op. 21/2 (TrV 160/2)
>Strauss, Richard : Lieder aus Lotusblattern (6), Op. 19
>Strauss, Richard : Ach, weh mir unglückhaftern Mann, song for voice & piano, Op. 21/4 (TrV 160/4)
>Strauss, Richard : Traum durch die Dämmerung ("Weite Wiesen im Dämmergrau"), song for voice & piano (or orchestra), Op.
>Strauss, Richard : Himmelsboten zu Liebchens Himmelbett ("Der Mondschein"), song for voice & piano, Op. 32/5 (TrV 174/5
>Strauss, Richard : Freundliche Vision ("Nicht im Schlafe hab' ich das geträumt"), song for voice & piano (or orchestra)
>Strauss, Richard : Ständchen ("Mach' auf, mach' auf, doch leise, mein Kind"), song for voice & piano, Op. 17/2 (TrV 149
>Strauss, Richard : Wozu noch, Mächden, soll es frommen, song for voice & piano, Op. 19/1 (TrV 152/1)
>Strauss, Richard : Lieder (4), Op. 27
>Strauss, Richard : Cäcilie ("Wenn du es wüsstest"), song for voice & piano (or orchestra), Op. 27/2 (TrV 170/2)
>Strauss, Richard : Lieder (5), Op. 32
>Strauss, Richard : Gefunden ("Ich ging im Walde so für mich hin"), song for voice & piano, Op. 56/1 (TrV 220/1)
>Strauss, Richard : Heimkehr ("Leiser schwanken die Äste"), song for voice & piano, Op. 15/5 (TrV 148/5)
>Strauss, Richard : Lieder (3), Op. 29
>Strauss, Richard : Die Künstler sind die Schöpfer, song for voice & piano, Op. 66/10 (TrV 236/10)
>Strauss, Richard : Befreit, Op. 39 no 4
>Strauss, Richard : Allerseelen, Op. 10 no 8
>Strauss, Richard : Vom künftigen Alter ("Der Frost hat mir bereifet"), song for voice & piano, Op. 87/1 (TrV 260, AV 11
>Strauss, Richard : Im Sonnenschein ("Noch eine Stunde lasst mich hier verweilen"), song for voice & piano, Op. 87/4 (Tr
Performers Composer

Notes & Reviews:

Relive a whole life in songs, filled with the ups and downs of love, full of poetic moments, power, eroticism and a dash of melancholia. Timothy Sharp has a particularly strong affinity for the songs of Richard Strauss that he developed in his studies with Hans Hotter, on of Strauss's favorite singers, and friend. Together with Jan Roelof Wolthuis he tries to expose not only the grandeur but also the quiet, lyrical moments in the songs, that tell the story of a young man who grows old as the disc, a collection featuring some of the most beautiful and important Strauss songs, progresses.

Notes & Reviews:

Recording information: Festeburgkirche Frankfurt/Main, Germany (10/2014).



Reviews

There are currently no reviews, be the first one!
Login or Create an Account to write a review

Works Details

>Strauss, Richard : Lieder (8), Op. 10
  • Performers: Timothy Sharp (Baritone); Jan Wolthuis (Piano)
  • Running Time: 1 min. 26 sec.
  • Period Time: Post Romantic
  • Written: 1885

>Strauss, Richard : Für fünfzehn Pfennige ("Das Mägdlein will ein' Freier hab'n"), song for voice & piano, Op. 36/2 (TrV
  • Performers: Timothy Sharp (Baritone); Jan Wolthuis (Piano)
  • Running Time: 2 min. 21 sec.
  • Period Time: Post Romantic
  • Written: 1897

>Strauss, Richard : Du meines Herzens Krönelein, song for voice & piano, Op. 21/2 (TrV 160/2)
  • Performers: Timothy Sharp (Baritone); Jan Wolthuis (Piano)
  • Notes: Composition written: 1887-88.
  • Running Time: 2 min. 8 sec.
  • Period Time: Post Romantic
  • Form: Vocal
  • Written: 1887-1888

>Strauss, Richard : Lieder aus Lotusblättern (6), Op. 19
  • Performers: Timothy Sharp (Baritone); Jan Wolthuis (Piano)
  • Notes: Composition written: 1885-88.
  • Running Time: 1 min. 45 sec.
  • Period Time: Post Romantic
  • Form: Vocal
  • Written: 1885-1888

>Strauss, Richard : Ach, weh mir unglückhaftern Mann, song for voice & piano, Op. 21/4 (TrV 160/4)
  • Performers: Timothy Sharp (Baritone); Jan Wolthuis (Piano)
  • Running Time: 2 min. 20 sec.
  • Period Time: Post Romantic
  • Written: 1887-1888

>Strauss, Richard : Traum durch die Dämmerung ("Weite Wiesen im Dämmergrau"), song for voice & piano (or orchestra), Op.
  • Performers: Timothy Sharp (Baritone); Jan Wolthuis (Piano)
  • Running Time: 3 min. 5 sec.
  • Period Time: Post Romantic
  • Written: 1895

>Strauss, Richard : Himmelsboten zu Liebchens Himmelbett ("Der Mondschein"), song for voice & piano, Op. 32/5 (TrV 174/5
  • Performers: Timothy Sharp (Baritone); Jan Wolthuis (Piano)
  • Running Time: 3 min. 4 sec.
  • Period Time: Post Romantic
  • Written: 1896

>Strauss, Richard : Freundliche Vision ("Nicht im Schlafe hab' ich das geträumt"), song for voice & piano (or orchestra)
  • Performers: Timothy Sharp (Baritone); Jan Wolthuis (Piano)
  • Running Time: 2 min. 29 sec.
  • Period Time: Post Romantic
  • Written: 1900

>Strauss, Richard : Ständchen ("Mach' auf, mach' auf, doch leise, mein Kind"), song for voice & piano, Op. 17/2 (TrV 149
  • Performers: Timothy Sharp (Baritone); Jan Wolthuis (Piano)
  • Running Time: 2 min. 35 sec.
  • Period Time: Post Romantic
  • Written: 1885-1887

>Strauss, Richard : Wozu noch, Mächden, soll es frommen, song for voice & piano, Op. 19/1 (TrV 152/1)
  • Performers: Timothy Sharp (Baritone); Jan Wolthuis (Piano)
  • Running Time: 1 min. 49 sec.
  • Period Time: Post Romantic
  • Written: 1885-1888

>Strauss, Richard : Lieder (4), Op. 27
  • Performers: Timothy Sharp (Baritone); Jan Wolthuis (Piano)
  • Running Time: 4 min. 5 sec.
  • Period Time: Post Romantic
  • Written: 1894

>Strauss, Richard : Cäcilie ("Wenn du es wüsstest"), song for voice & piano (or orchestra), Op. 27/2 (TrV 170/2)
  • Performers: Timothy Sharp (Baritone); Jan Wolthuis (Piano)
  • Running Time: 2 min. 13 sec.
  • Period Time: Post Romantic
  • Written: 1894

>Strauss, Richard : Lieder (5), Op. 32
  • Performers: Timothy Sharp (Baritone); Jan Wolthuis (Piano)
  • Running Time: 2 min. 5 sec.
  • Period Time: Post Romantic
  • Written: 1896

>Strauss, Richard : Gefunden ("Ich ging im Walde so für mich hin"), song for voice & piano, Op. 56/1 (TrV 220/1)
  • Performers: Timothy Sharp (Baritone); Jan Wolthuis (Piano)
  • Running Time: 2 min. 18 sec.
  • Period Time: Post Romantic
  • Written: 1903

>Strauss, Richard : Lieder (8), Op. 10
  • Performers: Timothy Sharp (Baritone); Jan Wolthuis (Piano)
  • Running Time: 1 min. 57 sec.
  • Period Time: Post Romantic
  • Written: 1885

>Strauss, Richard : Heimkehr ("Leiser schwanken die Äste"), song for voice & piano, Op. 15/5 (TrV 148/5)
  • Performers: Timothy Sharp (Baritone); Jan Wolthuis (Piano)
  • Running Time: 2 min. 22 sec.
  • Period Time: Post Romantic
  • Written: 1884-1886

>Strauss, Richard : Lieder (4), Op. 27
  • Performers: Timothy Sharp (Baritone); Jan Wolthuis (Piano)
  • Running Time: 3 min. 24 sec.
  • Period Time: Post Romantic
  • Written: 1894

>Strauss, Richard : Lieder (3), Op. 29
  • Performers: Timothy Sharp (Baritone); Jan Wolthuis (Piano)
  • Running Time: 2 min. 39 sec.
  • Period Time: Post Romantic
  • Written: 1895

>Strauss, Richard : Die Künstler sind die Schöpfer, song for voice & piano, Op. 66/10 (TrV 236/10)
  • Performers: Timothy Sharp (Baritone); Jan Wolthuis (Piano)
  • Running Time: 2 min. 50 sec.
  • Period Time: Post Romantic
  • Written: 1918

>Strauss, Richard : Befreit, Op. 39 no 4
  • Performers: Timothy Sharp (Baritone); Jan Wolthuis (Piano)
  • Running Time: 5 min. 8 sec.
  • Period Time: Post Romantic
  • Written: 1898

>Strauss, Richard : Allerseelen, Op. 10 no 8
  • Performers: Timothy Sharp (Baritone); Jan Wolthuis (Piano)
  • Running Time: 3 min. 10 sec.
  • Period Time: Post Romantic
  • Written: 1885

>Strauss, Richard : Vom künftigen Alter ("Der Frost hat mir bereifet"), song for voice & piano, Op. 87/1 (TrV 260, AV 11
  • Performers: Timothy Sharp (Baritone); Jan Wolthuis (Piano)
  • Running Time: 4 min. 51 sec.
  • Period Time: Post Romantic
  • Written: 1929

>Strauss, Richard : Im Sonnenschein ("Noch eine Stunde lasst mich hier verweilen"), song for voice & piano, Op. 87/4 (Tr
  • Performers: Timothy Sharp (Baritone); Jan Wolthuis (Piano)
  • Running Time: 4 min. 42 sec.
  • Period Time: Post Romantic
  • Written: 1935