- Genoveva, Op. 81: Overture $0.69 on iTunes
- Genoveva, Op. 81, Act I: No. 3, Duet. "So wenig Monden erst" (Siegfried/Genoveva) $0.69 on iTunes
- Genoveva, Op. 81, Act I: No. 4, Recitative. "Dies gilt uns!" & "Meines Weibes nimm dich an" (Siegfried/Drago/Genoveva/Chorus) $0.69 on iTunes
- Genoveva, Op. 81, Act I: No. 5, Chorus. "Auf, auf in das Feld!" (Chorus/Genoveva/Siegfried/Golo) $0.69 on iTunes
- Genoveva, Op. 81, Act I: No. 6, Recitative and Scene. "Der rauhe Kriegsmann!" & "O Lippen, süße Lippen!" (Golo/Genoveva) $0.69 on iTunes
- Genoveva, Op. 81, Act I: No. 7, Finale. "Sieh da, welch feiner Rittersmann!" & "Was hab ich getan" & "Du läßt die arme Frau allein" & "Mit neuem Leb $0.69 on iTunes
- Genoveva, Op. 81, Act II: No. 8, Scene, Chorus and Recitative. "O weh des Scheidens, das er tat" & "Füllet die Becher" (Chorus/Genoveva) & "Ihr seid $0.69 on iTunes
- Genoveva, Op. 81, Act II: No. 11, Aria. "O du, der über alle wacht" (Genoveva) $0.69 on iTunes
- Genoveva, Op. 81, Act II: No. 12, Finale. "Sacht, sacht, aufgemacht!" & "Zurück, ihr Schurken!" & "Führt sie hinunter, bindet sie!" (Chorus/Drago/B $0.69 on iTunes
- Genoveva, Op. 81, Act III: No. 13, Duet. "Nichts hält mich mehr" (Siegfried/Margaretha) $0.69 on iTunes
- Genoveva, Op. 81, Act III: No. 15, Finale. "Ich sah ein Kind im Traum" & "Ei nun, wer stört sie?" & "Erscheint!" & "Erscheint! Erscheint!" (Margareth
- Genoveva, Op. 81, Act IV: N. 17, Scene. "Kennt Ihr den Ring?" & "Ihr Männer, tretet vor!" & "Habt Ihr noch einen Wunsch" (Caspar/Genoveva/Golo/Baltha $0.69 on iTunes
- Genoveva, Op. 81, Act IV: No. 21, Finale. "Seid mir gegrüßt" & "Erschalle, festlicher Sang" (Chorus/Siegfried/Genoveva/Hidulfus) $0.69 on iTunes
Notes & Reviews:
Set in mythical, medieval Germany, in a Wagnerian world of legends and folklore, Schumann’s only operatic composition is a refined take on the ancient German folktale Genoveva. Taking inspiration from the many authors and playwrights who had portrayed the story throughout the years, including Christoph von Schmid and Friedrich Hebbel, Schumann set out to write a sophisticated recounting of the innocent Genoveva, her husband Siegfried’s wrongful mistrust of her and the cunning Golo who falsely accuses her of adultery. Bouts of self-doubt led Schumann to labour on his project for six years, with another two before the opera was premiered in 1850, to limited success at first. Despite its mixed reception, the opera has been recognised since as containing some of Schumann’s finest orchestral writing, a precursor to Wagner not just in the mythical elements of the plot but also in the deeply textured harmonies and flowing vocal lines. Adding to its extensive collection of some of the finest available opera recordings, Brilliant Classics is pleased to present this version from 1976, the first recording of this opera ever made and featuring a stellar cast. Soprano Edda Moser takes the title role, with acclaimed baritone Dietrich Fischer-Dieskau playing her suspicious husband and Peter Schreier completing the love triangle as the evil Golo. Genoveva still suffers in comparison to the rest of Schumann’s oeuvre, but thanks to some fine orchestral playing and the "peerless" Fischer-Dieskau (MusicWeb International), this recording can only serve to increase appreciation for Schumann’s only dramatic work.
BBC Music Magazine, August 2015
Masur's strongly cast 1976 recording remains the finest.
Recording information: Studio Paul-Gerhardt-Kirche, Leipzig, Germany (10/1976).
ReviewsThere are currently no reviews, be the first one!
Korngold: Der Ring des Polykrates / Seibel, Wottrich, et al
Richard Danielpour: 'Ancient Voices' - Darkness in the Ancient Valley, symphony (2011); Toward a Season of Peace (2012) / Hila Plitmann, soprano
Do: Pathways - Works by Bright Sheng, Arvo Part, Alfred Schnittke, Lera Auerbach & Sofia Gubaidulina / Zhi-Jong Wang, violin; Yashuangzi Xie, piano
Mendelssohn, Tchaikovsky: Violin Concertos / Arabella Steinbacher, violin; Orchestre de la Suisse Romande; Dutoit
Ysaÿe: Sonatas for Solo Violin / Alina Ibragimova, violin
American Chamber Music : Works by Herrmann, Gershwin, Waxman, Copland / Nash Ensemble
Cimarosa: Complete 88 Keyboard Sonatas / David Boldrini, fortepiano
Emil Gilels - The Complete Recordings On Deutsche Grammophon [24 CD Box Set]
Carl Michael Ziehrer: Die Landstreicher (The Vagabonds), operetta in 2 acts / Daniel Behle, Thomas Dewald, Maria Leyer, Karl Fath, Anneli Pfeffer, Leisenheimer, Wortig
Works DetailsSchumann, Robert : Genoveva, Op. 81
- Conductor: Kurt Masur
- Ensemble: Rundfunkchor Berlin
- Running Time: 115 min. 32 sec.
- Period Time: Romantic
- Form: Opera/Operetta
- Written: 1847-1849