/Max Roach/Charles Mingus.
Personnel: Duke Ellington (piano); Charles Mingus (bass); Max Roach (drums).
Recorded at Sound Makers, New York, New York on September 17, 1962. Originally released on United Artists (15017). Includes liner notes by George Wein and Michael Cuscuna.
All tracks have been digitally remastered.
Although this excellent album is listed as a Duke Ellington, equal billing should be given to the participation of Charles Mingus and Max Roach. The remastered CD is outstanding, having been cleaned up from the original master tape. The CD also has the addition of six extra tracks, including four unheard Ellington originals: "Very Special," "Rem Blues," "Switch Blade," and "Backward Country Boy Blues." He is as at home in the setting of a trio as he is with a wailing big-band, and as usual, he allows the other musicians to play. The trio version of "Caravan" is exceptional, raucous and swinging.
ReviewsThere are currently no reviews, be the first one!
- Mockingbird: The Music of Thelonious Monk and Duke (Kirk Knuffke)
- Duke! Three Portraits Of Ellington [Digipak] (Quesada, Adrian)
- Battle Royal (Basie, Count)
- The Duke [Digipak] (Jackson, Joe)
- Essence of Ellington: Live in Milano [Digipak] (William Parker Orchestra)
- Ultimate Doubles [2 CD] (Basie, Count)
- To Duke [Digipak] (Shipp, Matthew)