- Jeffrey Francis (Tenor)
- Florian Boesch (Bass)
- Elena Batoukova (Mezzo Soprano)
- Adrianne Pieczonka (Soprano)
- Miah Persson (Soprano)
- Angelika Kirchschlager (Mezzo Soprano)
- Ingrid Kaiserfeld (Soprano)
- Franz Hawlata (Baritone)
- Franz Grundheber (Bass)
Notes & Reviews:
Arthaus presents one of the most talked about productions of recent Salzburg festival years - the 2004 staging of Strauss' 'Der Rosenkavalier'. The musical comedy has a deep-rooted performance tradition at the Salzburg Festival, but Robert Carsen's new reading opened up a new view of this operatic staple while Semyon Bychkov leading the Vienna Philharmonic and a cast of internationally renowned singers guaranteed a high musical standard. Semyon Bychkov conducts Strauss with flexible nuances and a great deal of energy and the Neue Zurcher Zeitung praised the conductor's ability "to make the dense textures of the score transparent and to throw light on the subtleties of the instrumentation". Carsen marked the work with a coherent vision, cleverly holding its three acts and almost 200 stage personnel together. The wide stage of the Grosses Festspielhaus allowed him to keep the main action centre-stage, while the surrounding spaces were used to comment on the action.
Those who find the silver-wigged formality of Der Rosenkavalier off-putting may prefer this 1930s-ish update. The country inn of Act 3 is a modern sex club with naked people traipsing by. Octavian teases Ochs like a dominatrix, singing "Nein nein!" but implying a kinky "Ja ja!". Fine singing, with lively tempi from Bychkov.
Run Time: 201 min.
Picture Format: NTSC, 16:9, Color
Sound Format(s): LPCM Stereo, Dolby Digital 5.1, DTS 5.1
Subtitles: English, German, French, Spanish, Italian
ReviewsThere are currently no reviews, be the first one!
Works DetailsStrauss, Richard : Der Rosenkavalier
- Performers: Adrianne Pieczonka (Soprano); Miah Persson (Soprano); Angelika Kirchschlager (Mezzo Soprano); Ingrid Kaiserfeld (Soprano); Franz Hawlata (Baritone); Franz Grundheber (Bass); Jeffrey Francis (Tenor); Florian Boesch (Bass); Elena Batoukova (Mezzo Soprano)
- Conductor: Semyon Bychkov
- Ensemble: Vienna State Opera Chorus
- Period Time: Post Romantic
- Form: Opera/Operetta
- Written: 1909-1910