- Christopher Robson (Countertenor)
- Jean Rigby (Mezzo Soprano)
- Ann Murray (Mezzo Soprano)
- Valerie Masterson (Soprano)
- Lesley Garrett (Soprano)
- Christopher Booth-Jones (Baritone)
Notes & Reviews:
Nicholas Hytner's highly innovative production of Handel's comic opera won the coveted Laurence Olivier Opera Award. This live recording from the English National Opera stars Lesley Garrett and Ann Murray as Xerxes, whose love for Romilda, sung by Valerie Masterson, sets off a series of love intrigues. Sir Charles Mackerras conducts the English National Opera orchestra in an edition prepared by himself.
It is very difficult to obtain a recording of a Handel opera that is not updated in some way. This classic excellently sung production, conducted by Sir Charles Mackerras, manages to break this mould and portray the work in a meaningful natural context and staging.
Run Time: 186 min.
Picture Format: NTSC, 16:9, Color
Sound Format(s): LPCM Stereo,
Subtitles: German, French, English, Italian, Dutch, Greek
ReviewsThere are currently no reviews, be the first one!
Works DetailsHandel, George Frideric : Xerxes, HWV 40
- Performers: Christopher Robson (Countertenor); Jean Rigby (Mezzo Soprano); Ann Murray (Mezzo Soprano); Valerie Masterson (Soprano); Lesley Garrett (Soprano); Christopher Booth-Jones (Baritone)
- Conductor: Charles Mackerras
- Ensemble: English National Opera Orchestra
- Period Time: Baroque
- Written: 1738