- Tishchenko — Piano Sonata No. 7, Op. 85: I. Andante - Allegro - Andante - Allegro - Andante
- Tishchenko — Piano Sonata No. 7, Op. 85: II. Lento -
- Tishchenko — Piano Sonata No. 7, Op. 85: III. Allegro
- Tishchenko — Piano Sonata No. 8, Op. 99: I. Allegro energico $0.99 on iTunes
- Tishchenko — Piano Sonata No. 8, Op. 99: II. Andantino
- Tishchenko — Piano Sonata No. 8, Op. 99: III. Allegro molto
- Jean-Claude Gengembre (Bells)
- Jean-Claude Gengembre (Chimes)
- Jean-Claude Gengembre (Tubular Bells)
- Nicolas Stavy (Piano)
Notes & Reviews:
Composer Boris Tishchenko's prolific output includes, importantly, eleven piano sonatas: the First, his Op.3, the final his last completed score. Most are extensive, almost symphonic in scale. The unusual three-movement No. 7, Op.85 (1982) is a sonata 'for piano with bells', the pianist joined by a percussionist playing large bells, tubular bells and glockenspiel. No. 8, Op.99 (1986) is also a three-movement work, but that is where the similarities end. Their juxtaposition pays him perfect tribute, bearing in mind how deeply he respected tradition while also tearing up its rulebook.
The Guardian, 27th August 2015
That [Tishchenko] was a superb pianist underpins the expansive, gnarly language of his 11 piano sonatas. On this recording, French pianist Nicolas Stavy tackles the Seventh, longest and formally weirdest of them all, Stavy's playing is fearless throughout. He unleashes outrageous whirlwinds then finds penetrating space and contemplation in slow passages.
Recording information: Église Évangélique Saint-Marcel, Paris, France (12/2014).
ReviewsThere are currently no reviews, be the first one!
Guy Ropartz (1864-1955): Piano Music / Stephanie McCallum, piano
Mieczyslaw Weinberg: Orchestral Music, Vol. 2 - Symphony No. 22, Op. 154; Six Ballet Scenes; Choreographic Symphony, Op. 113 / Siberian SO, Dmitry Vasillyev
Martinu: Rhapsody-Concerto; Three Madrigals; Duo no 2; Sonata for viola & piano / Maxim Rysanov, viola; Alexander Sitkovetsky, violin
Erland von Koch (1910-2009): Symphony No. 3; Sinfonia Seria, Op. 51; Impulsi (1964); Nordiskt Capriccio, Op. 26 / Swedish Radio SO, Hammarstrom
Niels W. Gade: String Sextet, Op. 44; Piano Trio, Op. 42 (Chamber Works, Vol. 1) / Ensemble MidtVest
Boris Tishchenko (1939-2010): Violin Works - Sonatas nos 1 & 2; Rondo Op. 2; Capriccio, Op. 31; Fantasie Op. 118 et al. / Gabriel Tchalik, violin; Dania Tchalik, piano
Grazyna Bacewicz (1909-1969): Complete String Quartets, Vol. 1 - Quartets nos 1, 3, 6 & 7 / Lutoslawski Quartet
Chamber Music of David Conte (b.1955): Cello Sonata; String Quartet No. 2; Piano Trio / Emil Miland, cello; Miles Graber, piano; Kay Stern, violin; Keisuke Nakagoshi, piano
Ernst Krenek (1900-92): Piano Music, Vol. 1 - Sonata No. 4; George Washington Variations, Op. 120; Schubert completed by Krenek: Sonata D840 / Stanislav Khristenko, piano
Works DetailsTishchenko, Boris : Sonata no 7 for piano with bells in C major, Op. 85
- Performers: Jean-Claude Gengembre (Bells); Jean-Claude Gengembre (Chimes); Jean-Claude Gengembre (Tubular Bells); Nicolas Stavy (Piano)
- Running Time: 40 min. 36 sec.
- Period Time: Contemporary
Tishchenko, Boris : Sonata for Piano no 8, Op. 99
- Performer: Nicolas Stavy (Piano)
- Running Time: 30 min. 12 sec.
- Period Time: Contemporary
- Written: 1986