Personnel: Ben Webster (tenor saxophone, piano); Oscar Peterson (piano); Herb Ellis (guitar); Ray Brown (bass); Stan Levey (drums).
Recorded in Hollywood, California on October 15, 1957. Originally released on Verve (8274). Includes liner notes by Barry Alfonso.
A swinging, bluesy, absolutely earthy session, Ben Webster's 1957 album Soulville features the legendary tenor saxophonist backed by the Oscar Peterson Trio. Framed by Peterson's crisp piano work and Herb Ellis' often un-stereotypically dirty, overdriven guitar sound, Webster digs into a set of low-key ballads and greasy blues songs. This is a highly recommended set for Webster and Peterson fans alike. ~ Matt Collar
ReviewsThere are currently no reviews, be the first one!
- Complete Quintet Studio Sessions (Edison, Harry ". (Trumpet))
- Complete Sextet Studio Sessions (Edison, Harry ". (Trumpet))
- Centennial Celebration (Tatum, Art)
- Tenor Titans (Copenhagen 1969-London 1965) (Gordon, Dexter)
- Ben Webster & Art Tatum Quartet (Tatum, Art)
- The Complete 1960 Jazz Cellar Session (Hodges, Johnny)
- Soho Nights, Vol. 2 (Tracey, Stan)
- During This Time (Peterson, Oscar)
- Complete Legendary Session (Tatum, Art)