- Brahms — Ein deutsches Requiem, Op. 45: I. Selig sind, die da Leid tragen (Live) $0.99 on iTunes
- Brahms — Ein deutsches Requiem, Op. 45: II. Denn alles Fleisch es ist wie Gras (Live)
- Brahms — Ein deutsches Requiem, Op. 45: III. Herr, lehre doch mich (Live) $0.99 on iTunes
- Brahms — Ein deutsches Requiem, Op. 45: IV. Wie lieblich sind deine Wohnungen (Live) $0.99 on iTunes
- Brahms — Ein deutsches Requiem, Op. 45: V. Ihr habt nun Traurigkeit (Live) $0.99 on iTunes
- Brahms — Ein deutsches Requiem, Op. 45: VI. Denn wir haben hie keine bleibende Statt (Live)
- Brahms — Ein deutsches Requiem, Op. 45: VII. Selig sind die Toten (Live) $0.99 on iTunes
Notes & Reviews:
This Sept. 2012 performance would have been the third in a long series of Requiems conducted by Mariss Jansons. Unfortunately the 'new tradition' was cut short by Jansons's departure as the Royal Concertgebouw's chief conductor during the 2014/2015 season. Following the requiem masses of Dvorák and Mozart in previous seasons, this performance of the German Requiem by Brahms was dedicated to Kurt Sanderling, one of the orchestra's most beloved guest conductors who passed away the year before. Mr. Sanderling would have turned 100 that very month. It proved to be a very moving performance, a fitting salute from Mariss Jansons and the Concertgebouw Orchestra to a great conductor. "Gerald Finley... combines gritty presence and clarity of diction ... soprano Genia Kühmeier moved the audience with the purity of her timbre." (NRC) "The RCO in Brahms leaves one speechless." (Kwadratuur) "Rarely a choir and an orchestra merge as well and rarely this Requiem is performed as beautifully... " (Het Parool)
American Record Guide, March/April 2016
Jansons maintains firm control of the piece and moves things along well, so the music never threatens to become sentimental or maudlin. His tempo relationships are similar to Klemperer's. On the whole, this is an excellent job.
Recording information: Concertgebouw Amsterdam (09/20/2012-09/21/2012).
ReviewsThere are currently no reviews, be the first one!
Works DetailsBrahms, Johannes : German Requiem, Op. 45
- Performers: Gerald Finley; Genia Kühmeier (Soprano)
- Conductor: Mariss Jansons
- Ensemble: Royal Concertgebouw Orchestra
- Notes: Concertgebouw Amsterdam (09/20/2012-09/21/2012)
- Running Time: 66 min. 5 sec.
- Period Time: Romantic
- Form: Choral
- Written: 1857-1868
- Studio/Live: Live