Personnel includes: Phil Woods (alto saxophone), Jimmy Rushing, Al Cohn, Dave Frishberg, Zoot Sims, Richie Kamuca, Tommy Potter, Mel Lewis, Major Holley, Mousie Alexander.
Recorded at The Half Note in October, 1965 and January, 1966.
Although Phil Woods gets top billing on this Philology LP compilation of two mid-'60s broadcasts by DJ Alan Grant from the Half Note in New York City, he is only present on one of the two airchecks, with both groups led by tenor saxophonist Al Cohn. The first five tracks feature the two musicians with a rhythm section consisting of pianist Dave Frishberg, bassist Major Holley, and drummer Mousie Alexander. Both men shine in "Yardbird Suite," though there seems to be a bit of stumbling in the introduction to "It's a Wonderful World." Singer Jimmy Rushing is added for a rousing "Deed I Do," though the vocalist's microphone doesn't seem to be working too well, and the sound does improve a good bit in "I Want a Little Girl" and for a brisk, swinging "All of Me." The last six selections find Cohn with fellow tenor Zoot Sims and Richie Kamuca, along with Frishberg, bassist Tommy Potter, and drummer Mel Lewis. The three-reed front line opens with a hard-charging "Broadway," followed by a rapid-fire take of Lester Young's "Tickle Toe." Jimmy Rushing is again a special attraction, stealing the show with his effortless interpretation of "I Can't Believe That You're in Love With Me," the loping "Every Day I Have the Blues," and his very own "Sent for You Yesterday," with his gravelly vocals backed by the shout chorus of the three tenor saxes. The only disappointing thing about this worthwhile release is the lack of liner notes. ~ Ken Dryden
ReviewsThere are currently no reviews, be the first one!
- Phil and Quill (Quill, Gene)
- Swingchronicity (The DePaul University Jazz Ense)
- Blues for New Orleans (DePaula, Irio)
- The Gershwin Affair (D'Andrea, Franco)
- Balladeer Supreme, Vol. 1 (D'Andrea, Franco)
- Play Rava (Rava, Enrico)
- Dizzy Gillespie Meets the Phil Woods Quintet (Gillespie, Dizzy)
- Solitude (The DePaul University Jazz Ense)
- Sing & Play the Phil Woods Songbook, Vol. 1 (Lombardi, Michela)
- Right to Swing (The DePaul University Jazz Ense)
- NYC Sessions [Digipak] (Allyson, Karrin)
- Together for the First Time (Adams, Pepper)
- Phil's Mood: Woods Plays Pieranunzi (Pieranunzi, Enrico)
- Sextet & Octet (Jim Chapin)
- Kindred Spirits Live at Chan's [Digipak] (Abate, Greg)