Also available with SCOTT HAMILTON 2 on FROM THE BEGINNING.
Personnel: Scott Hamilton (tenor saxophone); Bill Berry (trumpet); Nat Pierce (piano); Monty Budwig (bass); Jake Hanna (drums).
Recorded at Sunwest Recording Studios, Inc., Hollywood, California. Includes liner notes by Leonard Feather.
Tenor saxophonist Scott Hamilton's debut for Concord (which has been reissued on CD) alerted the jazz world to the young swing stylist and predated Wynton Marsalis' first record (and the emergence of the Young Lions) by a couple years. Hamilton, who mixed together Zoot Sims and Ben Webster to form his own recognizable tone, already sounded in prime form for this set. Teamed up with trumpeter Bill Berry, pianist Nat Pierce, bassist Monty Budwig, and drummer Jake Hanna, Hamilton essentially launched the revival of mainstream jazz with this record. Highlights include "Indiana," "Stuffy," "Broadway," and "Blue Room," but all eight selections are quite enjoyable. ~ Scott Yanow
ReviewsThere are currently no reviews, be the first one!
- Live at Nefertiti (Scandinavian Five)
- Midnight at Nola's Penthouse (Sportiello, Rossano)
- A Splendid Trio (Tate, Frank)
- Scott Hamilton Meets Jesper Thilo [Digipak] (Thilo, Jesper)
- How About You (Bernhard Pichi Trio)
- 'Round Midnight (Allen, Harry)
- Stardust: Live in Tokyo 1993 (Wiggins, Gerald)
- Live in Bern [Digipak] (Hamilton, Jeff (Drums))
- The Best Things in Life (Krog, Karin)