1 800 222 6872

Twelfth Night Recital: Music by Bach, Mozart, Beethoven, Chopin, Debussy / Ivan Moravec, piano (Prague, 1987)

Album Summary

>Bach, Johann Sebastian : Chromatic Fantasia and Fugue in D minor, BWV 903
>Mozart, Wolfgang Amadeus : Sonata for Piano no 13 in B flat major, K. 333 (K. 315c)
>Beethoven, Ludwig van : Sonata for Piano no 14 in C sharp minor, Op. 27/2 "Moonlight"
>Chopin, Frédéric : Mazurka for piano no 32 in C sharp minor, Op. 50/3, CT. 82
>Chopin, Frédéric : Nocturne for piano no 5 in F sharp major, Op. 15/2, CT. 112
>Chopin, Frédéric : Nocturne for piano no 8 in D flat major, Op. 27/2, CT. 115
>Chopin, Frédéric : Ballade for Piano no 4 in F minor, B 146/Op. 52
>Chopin, Frédéric : Mazurka for piano no 41 in C sharp minor, Op. 63/3, CT. 91
>Debussy, Claude : Suite bergamasque
Performer Composers

Notes & Reviews:

This previously unreleased 1987 live recording of the great Czech pianist Ivan Moravec performing in Prague was re-discovered in the Supraphon record label archives after 28 years, and managed to pass the test of Moravec's notorious and uncompromising self-censorship. Moravec's death shortly after this rediscovery in July 2015 has catalyzed the release of this collection forming as it does a poignant last testament to this legendary pianist's legacy.

Gramophone Magazine, November 2015
To listen to Moravec is to be reminded of another era, one in which there was no political correctness surrounding Bach and the modern piano. He gives a warm, richly rhetorical reading of the Chromatic Fantasia and Fugue, one that is seemingly without ego and entirely compelling. The Mozart sonata is another highlight.

American Record Guide, March/April 2016
I knew well people who knew him well. He was a beautiful person and most kind and generous. He gave himself to music in utter sincerity and humility. As the note-writer for this album says, Mr Moravec would be glad if we would listen to this with a glass of fine wine and a toast to the beauty of music.

Notes & Reviews:

Recording information: Dvorák Hall of the Rudolfinum, Prague (01/06/1987).



Reviews

There are currently no reviews, be the first one!
Login or Create an Account to write a review
 

Also Purchased

Works Details

>Bach, Johann Sebastian : Chromatic Fantasia and Fugue in D minor, BWV 903
  • Performer: Ivan Moravec (Piano)
  • Running Time: 13 min. 59 sec.
  • Period Time: Baroque
  • Written: by 1723
  • Studio/Live: Live

>Mozart, Wolfgang Amadeus : Sonata for Piano no 13 in B flat major, K. 333 (K. 315c)
  • Performer: Ivan Moravec (Piano)
  • Running Time: 22 min. 13 sec.
  • Period Time: Classical
  • Written: 1783
  • Studio/Live: Live

>Beethoven, Ludwig van : Sonata for Piano no 14 in C sharp minor, Op. 27/2 "Moonlight"
  • Performer: Ivan Moravec (Piano)
  • Running Time: 17 min. sec.
  • Period Time: Classical
  • Written: 1801
  • Studio/Live: Live

>Chopin, Frédéric : Mazurka for piano no 32 in C sharp minor, Op. 50/3, CT. 82
  • Performer: Ivan Moravec (Piano)
  • Running Time: 5 min. 30 sec.
  • Period Time: Romantic
  • Written: 1842
  • Studio/Live: Live

>Chopin, Frédéric : Nocturne for piano no 5 in F sharp major, Op. 15/2, CT. 112
  • Performer: Ivan Moravec (Piano)
  • Running Time: 4 min. 6 sec.
  • Period Time: Romantic
  • Written: 1830-1832
  • Studio/Live: Live

>Chopin, Frédéric : Nocturne for piano no 8 in D flat major, Op. 27/2, CT. 115
  • Performer: Ivan Moravec (Piano)
  • Running Time: 6 min. 44 sec.
  • Period Time: Romantic
  • Written: 1835
  • Studio/Live: Live

>Chopin, Frédéric : Ballade for Piano no 4 in F minor, B 146/Op. 52
  • Performer: Ivan Moravec (Piano)
  • Running Time: 12 min. 3 sec.
  • Period Time: Romantic
  • Written: 1842-1843
  • Studio/Live: Live

>Chopin, Frédéric : Mazurka for piano no 41 in C sharp minor, Op. 63/3, CT. 91
  • Performer: Ivan Moravec (Piano)
  • Running Time: 2 min. 7 sec.
  • Period Time: Romantic
  • Written: 1846
  • Studio/Live: Live

>Debussy, Claude : Suite bergamasque :: Clair de lune
  • Performer: Ivan Moravec (Piano)
  • Running Time: 6 min. 3 sec.
  • Period Time: Post Romantic
  • Written: 1890
  • Studio/Live: Live