1 800 222 6872

Earl Wild (1915-2010): The Complete Transcriptions of Rachmaninoff Songs, Vol. 2 / Giovanni Doria-Miglietta, piano

Album Summary

>Rachmaninov, Sergey : The dream, song for voice & piano, Op. 38/5
>Rachmaninov, Sergey : How fair this spot, song for voice & piano, Op. 21/7
>Rachmaninov, Sergey : Georgian Song ("Do not Sing, My Beauty"), for voice & piano, Op. 4/4
>Rachmaninov, Sergey : How painful for me, song for voice & piano, Op. 21/12
>Rachmaninov, Sergey : The Little Island, song for voice & piano, Op. 14/2
>Rachmaninov, Sergey : The Muse, song for voice & piano, Op. 34/1
>Rachmaninov, Sergey : These summer nights, song for voice & piano, Op. 14/5
>Rachmaninov, Sergey : To the children, song for voice & piano, Op. 26/7
>Rachmaninov, Sergey : Oh, do not grieve, song for voice & piano, Op. 14/8
>Rachmaninov, Sergey : In the silence of the secret night, song for voice & piano, Op. 4/3
>Rachmaninov, Sergey : Oh thou, my field, song for voice & piano, Op. 4/5
>Rachmaninov, Sergey : On the death of a linnet, song for voice & piano, Op. 21/8
>Rachmaninov, Sergey : Vocalise, transcription for piano, Op. 34/14
>Rachmaninov, Sergey : Spring waters, song for voice & piano, Op. 14/11
Performer Composer

Notes & Reviews:

The second instalment of the complete Piano Works by Earl Wild! Earl Wild (1915-2010) was without doubt one of the greatest pianists of the 20th century. His immense repertoire, his staggering virtuosity, his warmth and his charm deserve him the epithet legendary. Wild was a great improviser as well, and he frequently played his own fantasies in his concerts. Fortunately he wrote these wonderful pieces down, and his creative legacy contains a wealth of transcriptions, fantasies and paraphrases, as well as original piano works. This CD features the complete recording of Wild's famous transcriptions of Rachmaninoff songs. Rachmaninoff was of course one of the greatest pianists ever, and the piano writing for his songs is virtuoso and substantial, a severe challenge for the performer. In Wild's transcriptions the voice melody melts into the accompaniment, creating the most wonderful, lush and sumptuous pianism ever written! The previous issue in this series by Italian pianist Giovanni Doria-Miglietta (Piano Classics PCL0069) received excellent reviews: "extremely well played..possibly my favourite piano disc of 2014.." Classical Net.

Notes & Reviews:

Recording information: Genova (10/12/2015/10/13/2015).



Reviews

There are currently no reviews, be the first one!
Login or Create an Account to write a review
 

Also Purchased

Works Details

>Rachmaninov, Sergey : The dream, song for voice & piano, Op. 38/5
  • Performer: Giovanni Miglietta (Piano)
  • Notes: Genova (10/12/2015/10/13/2015)
  • Running Time: 3 min. 29 sec.
  • Period Time: Post Romantic
  • Written: 1916

>Rachmaninov, Sergey : How fair this spot, song for voice & piano, Op. 21/7
  • Performer: Giovanni Miglietta (Piano)
  • Notes: Genova (10/12/2015/10/13/2015)
  • Running Time: 3 min. 40 sec.
  • Period Time: Post Romantic
  • Written: 1902

>Rachmaninov, Sergey : Georgian Song ("Do not Sing, My Beauty"), for voice & piano, Op. 4/4
  • Performer: Giovanni Miglietta (Piano)
  • Notes: Genova (10/12/2015/10/13/2015)
  • Running Time: 4 min. 51 sec.
  • Period Time: Post Romantic
  • Written: 1890-1893

>Rachmaninov, Sergey : How painful for me, song for voice & piano, Op. 21/12
  • Performer: Giovanni Miglietta (Piano)
  • Notes: Genova (10/12/2015/10/13/2015)
  • Running Time: 4 min. 24 sec.
  • Period Time: Post Romantic
  • Written: 1902

>Rachmaninov, Sergey : The Little Island, song for voice & piano, Op. 14/2
  • Performer: Giovanni Miglietta (Piano)
  • Notes: Genova (10/12/2015/10/13/2015)
  • Running Time: 2 min. 20 sec.
  • Period Time: Post Romantic
  • Written: 1896

>Rachmaninov, Sergey : The Muse, song for voice & piano, Op. 34/1
  • Performer: Giovanni Miglietta (Piano)
  • Notes: Genova (10/12/2015/10/13/2015)
  • Running Time: 5 min. 6 sec.
  • Period Time: Post Romantic
  • Written: 1912

>Rachmaninov, Sergey : These summer nights, song for voice & piano, Op. 14/5
  • Performer: Giovanni Miglietta (Piano)
  • Notes: Genova (10/12/2015/10/13/2015)
  • Running Time: 3 min. 46 sec.
  • Period Time: Post Romantic
  • Written: 1896

>Rachmaninov, Sergey : To the children, song for voice & piano, Op. 26/7
  • Performer: Giovanni Miglietta (Piano)
  • Notes: Genova (10/12/2015/10/13/2015)
  • Running Time: 4 min. 11 sec.
  • Period Time: Post Romantic
  • Written: 1906

>Rachmaninov, Sergey : Oh, do not grieve, song for voice & piano, Op. 14/8
  • Performer: Giovanni Miglietta (Piano)
  • Notes: Genova (10/12/2015/10/13/2015)
  • Running Time: 3 min. 13 sec.
  • Period Time: Post Romantic
  • Written: 1896

>Rachmaninov, Sergey : In the silence of the secret night, song for voice & piano, Op. 4/3
  • Performer: Giovanni Miglietta (Piano)
  • Notes: Genova (10/12/2015/10/13/2015)
  • Running Time: 5 min. 15 sec.
  • Period Time: Post Romantic
  • Written: 1890-1893

>Rachmaninov, Sergey : Oh thou, my field, song for voice & piano, Op. 4/5
  • Performer: Giovanni Miglietta (Piano)
  • Notes: Genova (10/12/2015/10/13/2015)
  • Running Time: 4 min. 28 sec.
  • Period Time: Post Romantic
  • Written: 1890-1893

>Rachmaninov, Sergey : On the death of a linnet, song for voice & piano, Op. 21/8
  • Performer: Giovanni Miglietta (Piano)
  • Notes: Genova (10/12/2015/10/13/2015)
  • Running Time: 4 min. 46 sec.
  • Period Time: Post Romantic
  • Written: 1902

>Rachmaninov, Sergey : Vocalise, transcription for piano, Op. 34/14
  • Performer: Giovanni Miglietta (Piano)
  • Notes: Genova (10/12/2015/10/13/2015)
  • Running Time: 6 min. 48 sec.
  • Period Time: Post Romantic

>Rachmaninov, Sergey : Spring waters, song for voice & piano, Op. 14/11
  • Performer: Giovanni Miglietta (Piano)
  • Notes: Genova (10/12/2015/10/13/2015)
  • Running Time: 4 min. 23 sec.
  • Period Time: Post Romantic
  • Written: 1902