- Schumann — Cello Concerto in A Minor, Op. 129: I. Nicht zu schnell
- Schumann — Cello Concerto in A Minor, Op. 129: II. Langsam $1.29 on iTunes
- Schumann — Cello Concerto in A Minor, Op. 129: III. Sehr lebhaft $1.29 on iTunes
- Schumann — Piano Trio No. 1 in D Minor, Op. 63: I. Mit Energie und Leidenschaft
- Schumann — Piano Trio No. 1 in D Minor, Op. 63: II. Lebhaft, Doch nicht zu rasch $1.29 on iTunes
- Schumann — Piano Trio No. 1 in D Minor, Op. 63: III. Langsam, mit inniger Empfindung $1.29 on iTunes
- Schumann — Piano Trio No. 1 in D Minor, Op. 63: IV. Mit Feuer $1.29 on iTunes
Notes & Reviews:
This final installment in harmonia mundi's Schumann trilogy pairs the composer's Cello Concerto with his first Piano Trio. Despite being championed by Clara Schumann, the concerto was not premièred until after the composer's death. The hugely expressive work, by turns poetic and stormy, exemplifies Schumann's interest in pushing boundaries in compositional forms and structures. The first two of his three Piano Trios is youthful in spirit, with rich tone colors and singing melodies. The soloists here, as with the other volumes, are cellist Jean-Guihen Queyras, violinist Isabelle Faust and pianist Alexander Melnikov. Teamed up with Spanish conductor Pablo Heras-Casado leading the Freiburger Barockorchester, these exceptional artists have created three amazing recordings that will change the way we listen to Schumann forever.
ReviewsThere are currently no reviews, be the first one!
J.S. Bach: Complete Sonatas and Partitas for solo violin / Rachel Barton Pine, violin
Tchaikovsky: Piano Concerto No. 2; Khachaturian: Piano Concerto / Xiayin, Wang, piano; Royal Scottish Nat'l Orch., Oundjian
Joan Tower: String Quartets Nos. 3-5; Dumbarton Quintet / Daedalus Quartet; Miami String Quartet; Blair McMillen, piano
Paul Bowles (1910-1999) Complete Piano Works, Vol. 1 / Andrey Kasparov and Oksana Lutsyshyn, pianos
Duos for Violin and Cello by Franz Anton Hoffmeister (1754-1812) and Beethoven / John Mills, violin; Bozidar Vukotic, cello
Robert Schumann: Beethoven Studies; Ghost Variations; Schubert Variations; Chopin Variations et al. / Olivier Chauzu, piano
Robert Fuchs (1847-1927): Symphonies 1 & 2 / WDR SO Cologne, Karl-Heinz Steffens
Carl Reinecke (1824-1910): Die wilden Schwane, Op. 164, for soloists, womens chorus, harp, cello, 2 horns & piano / Schwanen-Ensemble, Hagen Enke
Touches and Traces - Bernstein: Four Anniversaries; Five Anniversaries; Touches; Tan Dun: Eight Memories in Watercorlor / Warren Lee, piano
Works DetailsSchumann, Robert : Concerto for Cello in A minor, Op. 129
- Performer: Jean-Guihen Queyras (Cello)
- Conductor: Pablo Heras-Casado
- Ensemble: Freiburger Barockorchester
- Notes: Composition written: 1850.
- Running Time: 22 min. sec.
- Period Time: Romantic
- Form: Concerto
- Written: 1850
Schumann, Robert : Trio for Piano and Strings no 1 in D minor, Op. 63
- Performers: Isabelle Faust (Violin); Alexander Melnikov (Fortepiano); Jean-Guihen Queyras (Cello)
- Running Time: 31 min. 29 sec.
- Period Time: Romantic
- Written: 1847