Personnel: Paul Desmond (alto saxophone); Jim Hall (guitar); Eugene Wright, Eugene Cherico, Percy Heath (bass); Connie Kay (drums).
Recorded between June 1963 and June 1965. Produced by George Avakian.
Even though the alto saxophonist Paul Desmond is justly celebrated for his long tenure in the Dave Brubeck Quartet, he led a quite different kind of quartet of his own with the fine guitarist Jim Hall and MJQ drummer Connie Kay in the early to mid-'60s. Together they produced a series of understated, lyrical LPs for RCA that showcased Desmond's lithe improvisations (and Hall's perfectly apt accompaniment) on a variety of standards and bossa nova tunes. While it might neglect the bossa nova side, the 1990 compilation EASY LIVING is a fine representative sampling of this underrated quartet's above-average output, featuring cool, urbane interpretations of highly melodic tunes like "Here's That Rainy Day" and "When Joanna Loved Me." Another highlight is the darting, allusive reading of Cole Porter's "All Through The Night," in which the subtle altoist proves again why he was rightly considered one of the greatest musicians of his generation.
ReviewsThere are currently no reviews, be the first one!
Kenny Burrell: Prestige Profiles: Kenny Burrell
Paul Desmond: Desmond Blue [Remaster]
Benny Goodman: Yale University Archives, Vol. 5: NBC Broadcast Recordings 1936-1943
George Cables: My Muse
Bill Evans (Piano): The Complete Fantasy Recordings
Red Garland: The Albums Collection, Pt. 1: 1956-1959
Red Garland: The Albums Collection, Pt. 2: 1959-1961 [Box]
Red Garland: The Albums Collection, Pt. 3: 1961-1962 [Box] *
Cyrus Chestnut: Natural Essence *
- Tea For Two [PA] (Brubeck, Dave)
- Complete Recordings of the Paul Desmond Quartet wi (Hall, Jim)
- Live in New York 1971 (The Modern Jazz Quartet)
- Dave Brubeck & Paul Desmond at Wilshire-Ebell (Brubeck, Dave)
- Complete 1972 Berlin Concert (Brubeck, Dave)
- At the Free Trade Hall 1958 (Brubeck, Dave)
- At Newport 1956 & 1959 (Brubeck, Dave)
- The Complete Storyville Broadcasts (Brubeck, Dave)
- Birdland 1951-1952/Newport 1955 (Brubeck, Dave)