Q (12/01, p.160) - 4 stars out of 5 - "...The essential early Mingus set..."
Vibe (12/99, p.162) - Included in Vibe's 100 Essential Albums of the 20th Century
Personnel: Charles Mingus (acoustic bass); Jackie McLean (alto saxophone); J.R. Montrose (tenor saxophone); Mal Waldron (piano); Willie Jones (drums).
Recorded at Audio-Video Studios, New York, New York on January 30, 1956. Includes liner notes by Nat Hentoff and Charles Mingus.
The landmark album from Mingus' formative period and some of the freshest, most exciting jazz ever recorded. The 1956 Atlantic release features four lengthy cuts including the ambitious title tune, "A Foggy Day," "Profile of Jackie," and "Love Chant." Superb contributions from alto saxophonist Jackie McLean, tenor saxophonist J.R. Monterose, pianist Mal Waldron, and several others. Raucous, thunderous, pathbreaking music.
ReviewsThere are currently no reviews, be the first one!
- Plays Charles Mingus (Richmond, Dannie)
- Complete Bremen Concert (Dolphy, Eric)
- Charles Mingus and the Newport Rebels [Digipak] (Newport Rebels)
- Complete Live in Amsterdam (Dolphy, Eric)
- The Salle Wagram Concert (Dolphy, Eric)
- Salle Wagram Concert [Complete Edition] (Dolphy, Eric)
- Better Get Hit In Your Soul: A Tribute To the Musi (Brecker, Randy)