Mojo (Publisher) (p.116) - 4 stars out of 5 -- "Corea's originals push Stan to fresh heights. 'Litha' and 'Windows' inspire playing of singing, rough-hewn beauty and unruffled brilliance from the saxophonist."
Record Collector (magazine) (p.103) - 5 stars out of 5 -- "[A] dazzling straightahead quartet date featuring Chick Corea on piano. Magical stuff."
Personnel: Stan Getz (tenor saxophone); Albert Daily (piano); Chick Corea (electric piano); Stanley Clarke, George Mraz (bass); Tony Williams, Billy Hart (drums).
Principally recorded live at The Salle Wagram, New York, New York in November 1969.
This 1967 date ranks among Stan Getz's finest. In addition to the iconic saxophonist's masterfully modulated style and classic cool tone, SWEET RAIN offers the unique opportunity to hear Getz play with a modern rhythm section that pushes the envelope, avant '60s-style. On this session, bassist Ron Carter, pianist Chick Corea, and drummer Grady Tate utilize near-free-jazz technique to situate Getz's playing in a highly fluid setting.
The tracks list consists of two Corea originals, covers of tunes by Dizzy Gillespie and Antonio Carlos Jobim, and Mike Gibbs's gorgeous title tune. The level of interplay is at a high, kinetic crackle throughout, even--maybe especially--when the musicians make ample use of space. The 2008 reissue with remastered sound only improves what is already a jazz classic front to back.
ReviewsThere are currently no reviews, be the first one!
- In France (Farrell, Joe)
- Jazz Giants '58 [Bonus Tracks] (Peterson, Oscar)
- Stan Getz and J.J. Johnson at the Opera House (Johnson, J.J. (Trombone))
- People Time: The Complete Recordings [Box] (Barron, Kenny)
- Getz/Gilberto 50 [Bonus Track] (Gilberto, Joao)
- Getz/Gilberto +50 (Gilberto, Joao)
- Take a Chorus Minus B-Flat (Raney, Jimmy)
- Live in Chicago 1988 (Johnson, J.J. (Trombone))
- Getz/Gilberto '76 [Digipak] (Gilberto, Joao)