Album Remarks & Appraisals:
This album contains a series of different radio broadcasts from The Million Dollar Theatre in Los Angeles, the El Patio Ballroom in Denver, the Orpheum Theatre in San Diego and the Trianon Ballroom in South Gate, California. The broadcasts are featured complete with radio speaks and encouragements to buy bonds read by The Duke himself + bonus material and extensive liner notes. The first disc contains a radio broadcast from The Million Dollar Theatre in Los Angeles, July 6m 1946 plus bonus tracks from a CBS Broadcast from Lakeside Park, the El Patio Ballroom in Denver, July 14, 1942. The second disc features a broadcast from the Orpheum Theatre in San Diedo, July 27, 1946, with the bonus tracks being from a radio broadcast in the Trianon Ballroom, South Gate, California dating back to May 2, 1942. As a teaser for the sound found on this volume, Duke Ellington connoisseur Brian Koller, author of the extensive liner notes, writes: "It is no wonder why the Cat Anderson composition Teardrops In The Rain was a band staple for two years. The band really swings, and when it's time for Anderson's solo, he shows off high note pyrotechnics that few if any other trumpeters could match. Al Sears unleashes a might tenor sax solo, then the band is briefly reduced to a rhythm trio featuring Pettiford's bass and the Duke on piano. To close the number, the full orchestra reverses the introductory themes." Energy like that is found all through the broadcasts!
ReviewsThere are currently no reviews, be the first one!
- Mockingbird: The Music of Thelonious Monk and Duke (Kirk Knuffke)
- Duke! Three Portraits Of Ellington [Digipak] (Quesada, Adrian)
- Battle Royal (Basie, Count)
- The Duke [Digipak] (Jackson, Joe)
- Essence of Ellington: Live in Milano [Digipak] (William Parker Orchestra)
- Ultimate Doubles [2 CD] (Basie, Count)
- To Duke [Digipak] (Shipp, Matthew)
- With Johnny Hodges/Coleman Hawkins/Count Basie (Hawkins, Coleman)