Rolling Stone - 3.5 stars out of 5 -- "[I]t's LOVEly -- the suite side of ABBEY ROAD extended to seventy-eight minutes."
Entertainment Weekly (p.105) - "[I]t's bliss....The exhilarating opener, 'Because,' is now a cappella, and the most glorious choral rock divinity since the Beach Boys' 'Our Prayer'..." -- Grade: A
Q (p.133) - 4 stars out of 5 -- "[T]his demands the listener to reappraise The Beatles' brilliance with fresh ears. A genuine revolution in the head."
Q (p.118) - Ranked #53 in Q Magazine's "100 Greatest Albums of 2006."
Mojo (Publisher) (p.100) - 5 stars out of 5 -- "Stunning....You'll marvel at the sound and the new insight it brings to music you know so well."
Given his unparalleled talent for innovative recording, mixing, and soundscaping, producer Sir George Martin has always been rightly referred to as "the fifth Beatle." Some 35 years after the Beatles disbanded, Martin was still shaping the group's music, as demonstrated by the 2006 release LOVE. The album (created to coincide with a Cirque du Soleil performance based on Beatles songs) amounts to a musical fantasia centered on the Beatles' output, with famous work from both early and late in the band's career collaged with great care and artistry.
Martin's relationship to the band gives him a unique perspective (not to mention access to a vast catalogue of multi-track tapes), which results in a shape-shifting overview that encompasses demo recordings, instrumental passages, and snippets from some of the best-loved Beatles tunes. Beatles fanatics will be in seventh heaven playing "name that reference" on this sonic carpet ride, but LOVE also provides something of an "overture" to the Beatles' oeuvre. The SPECIAL EDITION comes with a bonus audio-only DVD featuring the album in various stereo mixes.
ReviewsThere are currently no reviews, be the first one!
- Fried Glass Onions: Memphis Meets the Beatles, Vol (Various Artists)
- Tropical Tribute to the Beatles (Various Artists)
- Hello, Goodbye: Songs the Beatles Gave Away (Various Artists)
- Stax Does the Beatles (Various Artists)
- Andy Timmons Band Plays Sgt. Pepper (Timmons, Andy)
- Liddypool: Who Put the Beat in the Beatles? (Various Artists)
- Sing the Beatles (Les Petits Chanteurs de Saint-M)
- Try to Remember/The Brothers Four Sing Lennon-McCa (Brothers Four (The))
- Lieb Plays the Beatles (Liebman, David)
- Glee: Sings the Beatles (Glee)
- Blackbird: The Beatles Album (Karadaglic, Milos (Guitar))