Q (10/00, p.154) - Included in Q's "Best Best Of... Albums Of All Time"
Q (10/93, p.118) - 4 Stars - Excellent - "...Musically, joy certainly is unconfined....[THE RED and BLUE ALBUMS] vividly trace the story of [the Beatles'] development..."
Melody Maker (10/9/93, p.41) - "...[a] timeless wonder...."
NME (Magazine) (9/18/93, p.35) - (10) - Classic.
The companion piece to the 1962-1966 singles compilation, this set (often called "the blue album," as opposed to its chronological predecessor "the red album"), brings together the Beatles best known songs from 1967 through 1970. The Beatles were fiercely, relentlessly experimental during these years, and the swirling, visionary soundscapes of "Strawberry Fields Forever," which opens the collection, sets the tone with its effects-heavy production and backward tape loops. John Lennon's psychedelic songwriting, which emphasized crystalline melodies and surreal wordplay, can be heard on tracks like "Lucy In the Sky With Diamonds" and "Across the Universe."
Paul McCartney's fascination with English music hall and novelty numbers is clear on "Penny Lane" and "Ob-la-Di, Ob-la-Da," and the set also has some of his finest ballads, including the mega-hits "Let It Be" and "Hey Jude." George Harrison emerged as a fine songwriting talent during these years with "Something" and "Here Comes the Sun." Yet despite evidence of their diverging individual directions, the Beatles still rock as a band on cuts like "Revolution." (The set includes the single versions of "Revolution," "Lady Madonna," and "Hey Jude"). The Beatles set the tenor of the late-'60s with this spectacular soundtrack, and it remains--even after years of overplaying--original, beautiful music.
ReviewsThere are currently no reviews, be the first one!
- Fried Glass Onions: Memphis Meets the Beatles, Vol (Various Artists)
- Tropical Tribute to the Beatles (Various Artists)
- Hello, Goodbye: Songs the Beatles Gave Away (Various Artists)
- Stax Does the Beatles (Various Artists)
- Andy Timmons Band Plays Sgt. Pepper (Timmons, Andy)
- Liddypool: Who Put the Beat in the Beatles? (Various Artists)
- Sing the Beatles (Les Petits Chanteurs de Saint-M)
- Try to Remember/The Brothers Four Sing Lennon-McCa (Brothers Four (The))
- Lieb Plays the Beatles (Liebman, David)
- All Your Life: A Tribute to the Beatles Recorded a (DiMeola, Al)
- Glee: Sings the Beatles (Glee)
- Blackbird: The Beatles Album (Karadaglic, Milos (Guitar))