JazzTimes (9/97, p.80) - "...Here [Rollins'] work has tremendous buoyancy and great continuity....Ray Bryant, Walter Booker and Mickey Roker provide him with with vigorous, intelligent accompaniment. Bryant's graceful complex solos deserve considerable praise and attention..."
Personnel: Sonny Rollins (tenor saxophone); Ray Bryant (piano); Walter Booker (bass); Mickey Roker (drums).
Recorded at Van Gelder Studio, Englewood Cliffs, New Jersey on July 8, 1965.
Digitally remastered by Erick Labson.
Sonny Rollins made some excellent recordings for Impulse! in the mid-1960s, a time when his unassailable skills and acrobatic approach made him a leading saxophonist, and one of the few to rival John Coltrane. ON IMPULSE! has only five tracks, but each tells the complex, glorious story of Rollins's talent, especially in the stretched-out solos where his knack for inventively, endlessly de- and re-constructing melodies is evident. "On Green Dolphin Street," "Everything Happens to Me," and "Three Little Words" are among the standouts on this collection. The 2007 remaster boasts crisp and beautiful sound.
ReviewsThere are currently no reviews, be the first one!
- Play Ballads [Box] (Brown, Clifford (Jazz))
- Complete 1963 Copenhagen (Don Cherry Quartet)
- Complete 1963 Stuttgart Concert (Don Cherry Quartet)
- Three Giants! (Brown, Clifford (Jazz))
- Legendary Sessions (Gillespie, Dizzy)
- Three Giants!/At Basin Street (Brown, Clifford (Jazz))
- Together at Newport 1963 (Hawkins, Coleman)
- Complete Live at the Village Gate 1962 (Cherry, Don (Trumpet))
- Newk and Bags: Studio and Live, 1953-1965 (Jackson, Milt)