Personnel: Phil Woods (alto saxophone); John Williams (piano); Teddy Kotick (bass); Nick Stabulas (drums).
Recorded at the Van Gelder Studio, Hackensack, New Jersey on November 25, 1955. Originally released on Prestige (7018).
This special collector's edition was digitally remastered from the original analog master tapes.
Altoist Phil Woods' second recording as a leader is a rather brief 33-minute set. Accompanied by a quiet but swinging rhythm section (pianist John Williams, bassist Teddy Kotick, and drummer Nick Stabulas), Woods swings hard on four standards (including "Slow Boat to China" and "Be My Love"), plus a pair of his originals: "Strollin' with Pam" and "Woodlore." The altoist displays plenty of energy and a strong command of the bebop vocabulary, sounding quite enthusiastic. ~ Scott Yanow
ReviewsThere are currently no reviews, be the first one!
- Phil and Quill (Quill, Gene)
- Blues for New Orleans (DePaula, Irio)
- The Gershwin Affair (D'Andrea, Franco)
- Balladeer Supreme, Vol. 1 (D'Andrea, Franco)
- Play Rava (Rava, Enrico)
- Dizzy Gillespie Meets the Phil Woods Quintet (Gillespie, Dizzy)
- Sing & Play the Phil Woods Songbook, Vol. 1 (Lombardi, Michela)
- NYC Sessions [Digipak] (Allyson, Karrin)
- Together for the First Time (Adams, Pepper)
- Phil's Mood: Woods Plays Pieranunzi (Pieranunzi, Enrico)
- Sextet & Octet (Jim Chapin)
- Kindred Spirits Live at Chan's [Digipak] (Abate, Greg)