- Walter — Violin Sonata in A Major: I. Allegro con espressione
- Walter — Violin Sonata in A Major: II. Andante serioso $0.99 on iTunes
- Walter — Violin Sonata in A Major: III. Moderato $0.99 on iTunes
- Walter — Piano Quintet F-Sharp Minor: I. Mit groß Energie $0.99 on iTunes
- Walter — Piano Quintet F-Sharp Minor: II. Ruhig und heiter $0.99 on iTunes
- Walter — Piano Quintet F-Sharp Minor: III. Geheimnisvoll bewegt $0.99 on iTunes
- Walter — Piano Quintet F-Sharp Minor: IV. Feurig $0.99 on iTunes
- Patrick Vida (Violin)
- Ekaterina Frolova (Violin)
- Mari Sato (Piano)
- Sybille Hausle (Viola)
- Stefanie Huber (Cello)
- Le Liu (Piano)
- Lydia Peherstorfer (Violin)
Notes & Reviews:
In the early part of his musical career, before he became one of the most revered conductors of his time, Bruno Walter saw himself as a conductor-composer music like his friend and role model, Gustav Mahler. His large-scale Piano Quintet, couched in the late-Romantic idiom, is a powerful expression of Walter's consummate compositional skill. The Violin Sonata in A Major, Walter's last chamber work, offers a study in expressive contrasts, its unsettled modds reflective of the time in which it was written.
The Guardian, 1st September 2016
His 1908 Violin Sonata, given a full-bodied, spirited performance by violinist Ekaterina Frolova and pianist Mari Sato, is an ambitious, sweeping work...Walter chose the right career path, but this recording provides interesting insights into both a great conductor's mind and the musical hothouse that was early 20th-century Vienna.
Recording information: Joseph Haydn Hall, University for Music and Performing (05/10/2013/12/17/2012).
ReviewsThere are currently no reviews, be the first one!
Peter Scott Lewis (b.1953) 'The Four Cycles' - complete vocal works to date. Christine Abraham, mz; Susan Narucki, sop; Colin McAllister, guitar; Stephen Gosling, piano
Maximilian Steinberg (1883-1946): Passion Week (1923) / The Clarion Choir, Steven Fox
John Field: Piano Concerto No. 7; Irish Concerto; Piano Sonata No. 4 / Benjamin Frith, piano; Northern Sinfonia; Royal Scottish Nat'l Orch.
J.S. Bach: Sonatas for Flute and Harpsichord, BWV 1030-1035 / Pauliina Fred, flute; Aapo Hakkinen, harpsichord
William Mathias (1934-1992): Choral Music - Ave Rex; Salvator Mundi; An Admonition to Rulers / Michael Papadopoulos, organ; Peter Foggitt, piano; Orchestra Nova
Michael Haydn (1737-1806): Symphonies, Vol. 2 - Sinfonias in D, B flat; E flat & F / Filip Dvorak, harpsichord; Czech Chamber PO Pardubice, Patrick Gallois
Fernando Sor: 24 Progressive Lessons, Op. 31; 6 Little Pieces, Op. 32 / Norbert Kraft & Jeffrey McFadden, guitars
Ferdinand Ries: Romantic Variations, Fantasies and a Rondo / Michael Tsalka, piano
Vaughan Williams: Film Classics - Coastal Command; 49th Parallel Prelude; The Story of a Flemish Farm; Three Portraits from England of Elizabeth / Andrew Penny, RTÉ Concert Orchestra
Works DetailsWalter, Bruno [Conductor] : Sonata for violin & piano in A major
- Performers: Ekaterina Frolova (Violin); Mari Sato (Piano)
- Running Time: 10 min. 16 sec.
- Period Time: Modern
Walter, Bruno [Conductor] : Piano Quintet in F sharp minor
- Performers: Sybille Hausle (Viola); Stefanie Huber (Cello); Le Liu (Piano); Lydia Peherstorfer (Violin); Patrick Vida (Violin)
- Running Time: 30 min. 34 sec.
- Period Time: Modern
- Form: Chamber Music
- Written: 1904