- Walter — Violin Sonata in A Major: I. Allegro con espressione
- Walter — Violin Sonata in A Major: II. Andante serioso $0.99 on iTunes
- Walter — Violin Sonata in A Major: III. Moderato $0.99 on iTunes
- Walter — Piano Quintet F-Sharp Minor: I. Mit groß Energie $0.99 on iTunes
- Walter — Piano Quintet F-Sharp Minor: II. Ruhig und heiter $0.99 on iTunes
- Walter — Piano Quintet F-Sharp Minor: III. Geheimnisvoll bewegt $0.99 on iTunes
- Walter — Piano Quintet F-Sharp Minor: IV. Feurig $0.99 on iTunes
- Ekaterina Frolova (Violin)
- Mari Sato (Piano)
- Sybille Hausle (Viola)
- Stefanie Huber (Cello)
- Le Liu (Piano)
- Lydia Peherstorfer (Violin)
- Patrick Vida (Violin)
Notes & Reviews:
In the early part of his musical career, before he became one of the most revered conductors of his time, Bruno Walter saw himself as a conductor-composer music like his friend and role model, Gustav Mahler. His large-scale Piano Quintet, couched in the late-Romantic idiom, is a powerful expression of Walter's consummate compositional skill. The Violin Sonata in A Major, Walter's last chamber work, offers a study in expressive contrasts, its unsettled modds reflective of the time in which it was written.
The Guardian, 1st September 2016
His 1908 Violin Sonata, given a full-bodied, spirited performance by violinist Ekaterina Frolova and pianist Mari Sato, is an ambitious, sweeping work...Walter chose the right career path, but this recording provides interesting insights into both a great conductor's mind and the musical hothouse that was early 20th-century Vienna.
Recording information: Joseph Haydn Hall, University for Music and Performing (05/10/2013/12/17/2012).
ReviewsThere are currently no reviews, be the first one!
Schumann: Complete Symphonic Works, Vol. 6 / WDR SO Cologne, Heinz Holliger
Fauré / Messager: Messe des pêcheurs de Villerville; J.S. Bach / Pergolesi: Tilge, Höchster, meine Sünden, BWV 1083 / Ania Vegry, soprano; Mareike Morr, alto; Mädchenchor Hannover
Louis Spohr (1784-1859): Symphonies Nos. 2 and 9 / Alfred Walter, Slovak State Philharmonic Orchestra
Herman Goetz (1840-1876): Spring Overture and Piano Concertos Nos. 1 & 2 / Davide Cabassi, Piano; Kimbo Ishii, Magdeburg PO
Maximilian Steinberg (1883-1946): Passion Week (1923) / The Clarion Choir, Steven Fox
John Field: Piano Concerto No. 7; Irish Concerto; Piano Sonata No. 4 / Benjamin Frith, piano; Northern Sinfonia; Royal Scottish Nat'l Orch.
J.S. Bach: Sonatas for Flute and Harpsichord, BWV 1030-1035 / Pauliina Fred, flute; Aapo Hakkinen, harpsichord
William Mathias (1934-1992): Choral Music - Ave Rex; Salvator Mundi; An Admonition to Rulers / Michael Papadopoulos, organ; Peter Foggitt, piano; Orchestra Nova
Michael Haydn (1737-1806): Symphonies, Vol. 2 - Sinfonias in D, B flat; E flat & F / Filip Dvorak, harpsichord; Czech Chamber PO Pardubice, Patrick Gallois
Works DetailsWalter, Bruno [Conductor] : Sonata for violin & piano in A major
- Performers: Ekaterina Frolova (Violin); Mari Sato (Piano)
- Running Time: 10 min. 16 sec.
- Period Time: Modern
Walter, Bruno [Conductor] : Piano Quintet in F sharp minor
- Performers: Sybille Hausle (Viola); Stefanie Huber (Cello); Le Liu (Piano); Lydia Peherstorfer (Violin); Patrick Vida (Violin)
- Running Time: 30 min. 34 sec.
- Period Time: Modern
- Form: Chamber Music
- Written: 1904