- My Wounded Head 3: mm. 1–35 $0.99 on iTunes
- My Wounded Head 3: mm. 36–49 $0.99 on iTunes
- My Wounded Head 3: mm. 50–70 $0.99 on iTunes
- My Wounded Head 3: mm. 71–148
- My Wounded Head 3: mm. 149–222 $0.99 on iTunes
- My Wounded Head 3: mm. 223–249 $0.99 on iTunes
- My Wounded Head 3: mm. 250–298
- My Wounded Head 3: mm. 299–342 $0.99 on iTunes
- My Wounded Head 3: mm. 343–end $0.99 on iTunes
- Rob Haskins (Piano)
Notes & Reviews:
Marc Chan's My Wounded Head 3 is loosely based on the Passion Chorales from Bach's St. Matthew's Passion - a sequence of five chorales often collected under the title "O Haupt voll Blut uncl Wunden" ("O Sacred Head Now Wounded"). Every measure in My Wounded Head 3 is also repeated and the number of repetitions is left up to the performer.
As Chan says in his liner notes: "Repetition is also what all musicians do in private: we exalt in a moment that we wish to make perfect. ... It is how I listen to a Bach chorale: with its intentional mishearings, its prolonged duration, and the patterns that shift in and out of focus. If a work is finite - a fixed point in history - then re-hearings are infinite. ..And if one beings to imagine an infinite number of possible re-hearing of a Bach chorale, then one begins to lose the thread of repetition's point of origin."
Pianist Rob Haskins says: "... the performer is invited to become a co-creator in many respects. ... it's the kind of piece that invites and rewards an intimate, ongoing relationship. I want to change and be changed by the music I play, and My Wounded Head 3 is one of a handful of pieces that I can say I would be willing to live with for the rest of my life."
Rob Haskins is an associate professor of music at the University of New Hampshire, where he teaches undergraduate and graduate courses in music history. He holds a D.M.A. in harpsichord and Ph.D. in musicology from the University of Rochester, Eastman School of Music. His research concerns American music in the second half of the twentieth century, especially the music of John Cage. In addition to his work as a musicologist, Haskin performs as a text works performer, pianist, and harpsichordist.Notes & Reviews:
Recording information: Systems Two, Brooklyn (11/11/2011-11/12/2011).
ReviewsThere are currently no reviews, be the first one!
Works DetailsChan, Marc : My Wounded Head 3, for piano
- Performer: Rob Haskins (Piano)
- Notes: Systems Two, Brooklyn (11/11/2011-11/12/2011)
- Running Time: 9 min. 27 sec.
- Period Time: Contemporary
- Written: 2009