- Beethoven — Symphony No. 9 in D Minor, Op. 125 "Choral": I. Allegro ma non troppo e un poco maestoso (Live)
- Beethoven — Symphony No. 9 in D Minor, Op. 125 "Choral": II. Molto vivace - Presto (Live)
- Beethoven — Symphony No. 9 in D Minor, Op. 125 "Choral": III. Adagio molto e cantabile - Andante moderato (Live)
- Beethoven — Symphony No. 9 in D Minor, Op. 125 "Choral": IV. Finale (Live)
- Colin Balzer (Tenor)
- Mary-Ellen Nesi (Mezzo Soprano)
- Sigrid Plundrich (Soprano)
- Simon Tischler (Bass Baritone)
Notes & Reviews:
This live recording of Beethoven's 9th Symphony completes the Tafelmusik Baroque Orchestra's cycle of Beethoven symphonies, which began almost two decades ago. With this release, Tafelmusik will become the first North American orchestra to record all of Beethoven's nine symphonies on period instruments. From February 4 through 7, 2016, a series of sold-out, critically recognized performances took place in Toronto's Koerner Hall. Under the baton of Bruno Weil who led the orchestra and choir, this recording was made. Soloists include Sigrid Plundrich, Mary-Ellen Nesi, Colin Balzer, and Simon Tischler. "We approach the Beethoven concerts and recording as if they were the very first performances, as though the music had been composed yesterday. This is the real thing- there's no sense of routine withTafelmusik musicians and everybody's playing with a full heart and a full soul and spirit. That is the secret to a great performance." (Maestro Weil)Notes & Reviews:
Recording information: Koerner Hall, TELUS Centre for Performance and Learning (02/04/2016-02/07/2016).
ReviewsThere are currently no reviews, be the first one!
Beethoven: Piano Concerto no 5, Choral Fantasy / Brendel
Bach: Violin Concertos, BWV 1041/42; BWV 1052, 1055/56 / Alina Ibragimova, violin; Arcangelo, Jonathan Cohen
Beethoven: Missa Solemnis / Laura Aiken, Bernarda Fink, Johannes Chum, Ruben Drole. Nikolaus Harnoncourt, Arnold Schoenberg Chor, Concentus Musicus Wien
Beethoven: 6 'Name' Piano Sonatas; Für Elise; Piano Concerto No. 5 "Emperor" / Artur Schnabel, piano
Beethoven - Symphony No. 9 in D minor, Op. 125 "Choral" / Ah Young Hong, soprano; Leah Wool, mezzo; William Burden, tenor; Mark S. Doss, baritone
Works DetailsBeethoven, Ludwig van : Symphony no 9 in D minor, Op. 125 "Choral"
- Performers: Colin Balzer (Tenor); Mary-Ellen Nesi (Mezzo Soprano); Sigrid Plundrich (Soprano); Simon Tischler (Bass Baritone)
- Conductor: Weil Bruno
- Ensemble: Tafelmusick Baroque Orchestra
- Notes: Koerner Hall, TELUS Centre for Performance and Learning, The Royal Conservatory, Toronto, Canada (02/04/2016-02/07/2016)
- Running Time: 42 min. 12 sec.
- Period Time: Classical
- Form: Orchestral
- Written: 1824
- Studio/Live: Live