Bortnyansky: Sacred Concertos Vol 3 / Polyansky, et al

> Sacred Concerto No. 17, "Kol' vozlyublenna seleniya tvoya, Hospodi" (How lovely is thy dwelling plac - I. How amiable are thy tabernacles, o Lord of hosts! —
> Sacred Concerto No. 17, "Kol' vozlyublenna seleniya tvoya, Hospodi" (How lovely is thy dwelling plac - II. As the Lord loves mercy and truth —
> Sacred Concerto No. 17, "Kol' vozlyublenna seleniya tvoya, Hospodi" (How lovely is thy dwelling plac - III. Blessed is the man that trusteth in thee
> Sacred Concerto No. 18, "Blaho yest' ispovyedatisya Hospodevi" (It is good to give praise unto the L - I. It is a good thing to give thanks unto the Lord —
> Sacred Concerto No. 18, "Blaho yest' ispovyedatisya Hospodevi" (It is good to give praise unto the L - II. Upon an instrument of ten strings —
> Sacred Concerto No. 18, "Blaho yest' ispovyedatisya Hospodevi" (It is good to give praise unto the L - III. For thou, Lord, hast made me glad through thy work —
> Sacred Concerto No. 18, "Blaho yest' ispovyedatisya Hospodevi" (It is good to give praise unto the L - IV. Let all rejoice that trusts in thee
> Sacred Concerto No. 19, "Reche Hospod' Hospodevi moyemu" (The Lord said unto my Lord) - I. The Lord said unto my Lord: sit down at my right hand —
> Sacred Concerto No. 19, "Reche Hospod' Hospodevi moyemu" (The Lord said unto my Lord) - II. The Lord shall send the rod of thy strength out of Zion —
> Sacred Concerto No. 19, "Reche Hospod' Hospodevi moyemu" (The Lord said unto my Lord) - III. In the beauties of holiness from the womb of the morning
> Sacred Concerto No. 20, "Na Tya Hospodi, upovakh'" (In thee, O Lord, have I trusted) - I. In thee, o Lord, do I put my trust —
> Sacred Concerto No. 20, "Na Tya Hospodi, upovakh'" (In thee, O Lord, have I trusted) - II. Let me never put to confusion —
> Sacred Concerto No. 20, "Na Tya Hospodi, upovakh'" (In thee, O Lord, have I trusted) - III. For thou art my hope, o Lord God —
> Sacred Concerto No. 20, "Na Tya Hospodi, upovakh'" (In thee, O Lord, have I trusted) - IV. And hitherto have I declared thy wondrous words
> Sacred Concerto No. 21, "Zhiviy v pomoshchi Vyshnyaho" (He that dwelleth in the help of the Most Hig - I. He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most high —
> Sacred Concerto No. 21, "Zhiviy v pomoshchi Vyshnyaho" (He that dwelleth in the help of the Most Hig - II. Surely he shall deliver thee from the snare of the fowler —
> Sacred Concerto No. 21, "Zhiviy v pomoshchi Vyshnyaho" (He that dwelleth in the help of the Most Hig - III. He shall call upon me, I and I will answer him
> Sacred Concerto No. 22, "Hospod' prosvyeshcheniye moye" (The Lord is my light) - I. The Lord is my light and my salvation —
> Sacred Concerto No. 22, "Hospod' prosvyeshcheniye moye" (The Lord is my light) - II. Though a host should encamp against me —
> Sacred Concerto No. 22, "Hospod' prosvyeshcheniye moye" (The Lord is my light) - III. For in the time of trouble he shall hide me in his pavilion —
> Sacred Concerto No. 22, "Hospod' prosvyeshcheniye moye" (The Lord is my light) - IV. I will sing, yea, I will sing praises unto the Lord
> Sacred Concerto No. 23, "Blazheni lyudiye vedushchii voskliknoveniye" (Blessed are the people who kn - I. Blessed is the people that know the joyful sound —
> Sacred Concerto No. 23, "Blazheni lyudiye vedushchii voskliknoveniye" (Blessed are the people who kn - II. Then thou spakest in vision to the holy one —
> Sacred Concerto No. 23, "Blazheni lyudiye vedushchii voskliknoveniye" (Blessed are the people who kn - III. I will set his hand also in the sea —
> Sacred Concerto No. 23, "Blazheni lyudiye vedushchii voskliknoveniye" (Blessed are the people who kn - IV. My mercy will I keep for him forevermore

Album Summary

>Bortnyansky, Dimitry : Sacred Concerto no 17 ("How amiable are thy tabernacles, o Lord of hosts")
>Bortnyansky, Dimitry : Sacred Concerto no 18 ("It is a good thing to give thanks unto the Lord")
>Bortnyansky, Dimitry : Sacred Concerto no 19 ("The Lord said unto my Lord")
>Bortnyansky, Dimitry : Sacred Concerto no 20 ("In thee, O Lord, do I put my trust")
>Bortnyansky, Dimitry : Sacred Concerto no 21 ("He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most high")
>Bortnyansky, Dimitry : Sacred Concerto no 22 ("The Lord is my light and my salvation")
>Bortnyansky, Dimitry : Sacred Concerto no 23 ("Blessed is the poeple that know that joyful sound")
Composer

Notes & Reviews:

Gramophone Classical Music Guide
Bortnyansky has been mostly ignored in the West until quite recently. Tchaikovsky's disparaging comments on editing his sacred concertos also show he was not universally appreciated in his native Russia, but he has never lost his place in the repertoire of the Russian Orthodox Church and, as this series shows, these works are finely crafted pieces with an endless variety of invention.

This is Volume 3, and it contains some real gems. Concerto No 19 is a locus classicus of Bortnyansky's considerable lyrical power, though he also employs his neo-Baroque fugal writing to impressive effect, but No 20 is even more convincing, each movement containing a substructure characterised by different musical moods. Tchaikovsky complained that the concertos used 'stagey or even operatic' techniques, and that's quite true, but it's done with consummate elegance, as you may hear in No 22. The Russian State Symphonic Cappella understand this music, in all its manifestations, completely, responding to its subtlest nuances.



Reviews

There are currently no reviews, be the first one!
Login or Create an Account to write a review
 

Also Purchased



Previous


Next


Works Details

>Bortnyansky, Dimitry : Sacred Concerto no 17 ("How amiable are thy tabernacles, o Lord of hosts")
  • Running Time: 4 min. 4 sec.
  • Period Time: Classical
  • Form: Concerto

>Bortnyansky, Dimitry : Sacred Concerto no 18 ("It is a good thing to give thanks unto the Lord")
  • Running Time: 7 min. 33 sec.
  • Period Time: Classical

>Bortnyansky, Dimitry : Sacred Concerto no 19 ("The Lord said unto my Lord")
  • Running Time: 3 min. 52 sec.
  • Period Time: Classical
  • Form: Concerto

>Bortnyansky, Dimitry : Sacred Concerto no 20 ("In thee, O Lord, do I put my trust")
  • Running Time: 2 min. 37 sec.
  • Period Time: Classical
  • Form: Concerto

>Bortnyansky, Dimitry : Sacred Concerto no 21 ("He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most high")
  • Running Time: 4 min. 31 sec.
  • Period Time: Classical
  • Form: Concerto

>Bortnyansky, Dimitry : Sacred Concerto no 22 ("The Lord is my light and my salvation")
  • Running Time: 1 min. 41 sec.
  • Period Time: Classical
  • Form: Concerto

>Bortnyansky, Dimitry : Sacred Concerto no 23 ("Blessed is the poeple that know that joyful sound")
  • Running Time: 3 min. 41 sec.
  • Period Time: Classical
  • Form: Concerto